2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer air bag code 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer air bag code 33

trlemans

Reaction score
City, State
Waterford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hi everyone.... I recently purchased a 2002 Explorer (Eddie Bauer Edition, v6)... (Yes it is beyond warranty by mileage! 73,000 miles) It is a nice truck... Rides excellent... I do have one issue... The air bag light started coming on, it flashes a code 33 three times on key up.... (then the light stays on!)... Somewhere I read a 33 code is for the passenger side air bag... What I'm looking for is a some information from a Ford Service Manual.. I'm looking for the code diagnostics chart, wiring harness schematic and location of the air bag control module, (pictures if possible)..etc.... I can buy the service manual on cd for around $200... But, I'm trying to save myself a little money... Can anyone help with this information? It would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks for reading my post!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem, its a loose connector. See if the dealer will fix it for free, its not an expensive fix.

Also, I noticed that the cold Michigan weather sometimes makes the airbag light flicker.

There is a TSB on this:

Article No.
03-11-3

06/09/03

ELECTRICAL - AIRBAG WARNING LAMP
ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE
(DTC) B2292

FORD:
2002-2003 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some 2002-2003 4Dr Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles may exhibit an air bag warning lamp illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2292 and Light Flashing Code (LFC) 33 (Driver seat pretensioner fault) OR LFC 34 (Passenger seat pretensioner fault). This may be caused by intermittent pretensioner connection at either seat belt buckle.

ACTION
Install pretensioner kit for affected side(s) by build date/color. Refer to the following Service Information for details.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Obtain correct Service Kit and refer to instruction sheet included with kit for installation instructions.

2002 Model Year Through 3/3/02 Build Dates

^ Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-AAA

^ Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-AAB

^ Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-AAC

2002/2003 Model Years 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

^ Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-BAA

^ Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-BAB

^ Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-BAC

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

031103A Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.3 Hrs.
Kit One Front Seat
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform
Deactivation/Reactivation)

031103B Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.6 Hrs.
Kit Both Front Seats
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform

031103C Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.5 Hrs.
Kit One Front Seat
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform Deactivation And
Reactivation - With Canopy
Air Bag)

031103D Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.8 Hrs.
Kit Both Front Seats
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform Deactivation And
Air Bag)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7861202 X2

OASIS CODES: 104000, 203200, 206000

Im geting an airbag code 34...i looked under my seat and their are 2 conecters under both driver side and passenger....under the driver seat their are 2 wires going to each of the conecters....under the passenger seat their is only 2 wires going to one of the conecters...should their be somthing going to the second conecter??

The seat belt pretensioner has a two wire white connector that is secured to the sear frame...On the driver side you sould have another harness that is for the power seat...If you have to change the pretensioner, it is an easy change. Make sure you disconnect the battery for 10+ min, then remove the seat(much easier).

ExplorerDMB said:
There is a TSB on this:

ACTION
Install pretensioner kit for affected side(s) by build date/color. Refer to the following Service Information for details.

SERVICE

I had this done about two months ago under warranty. Just had to pay the $50 deductable. The total job is less than $200 if no warranty.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the information.... (expecially explorerdmb)To be honest I have not had a chance to check any of the response until today.... Thank you! thank you! I'm not a type of person to make excuses so I won't.... I should have a chance to finally look at my explorer with in the next week or two... I will let you know what I find.... I will post it on here at a later date...Thanks again... I appreciate it....

i had the same 3-3 code on the airbag pop up a few days ago...i looked under the passanger seat since the 3-3 code is for passenger side and wiggled the wires under it and bingo, the light went off....apparently i had a loose connection and is now fix without paying the dealership a couple hundred finding the problem and fixin it.....

Hi Everyone:::: I want to say thanks again to explorerdmb... I had a 3-3 code blinking from the air bag light on the dash... (A concern with the driver side seat belt pre-tensioner/wiring for the pre-tensioner)...I ordered the pre-tensioner wire kit listed on the above tsb (article 01-11-3)....In my case the correct part # was 1L2z-78610e22-baa...... I disconnected the negative battery cable, waited 15 minutes for the restraint system to dis-engage....removed the driver seat and intalled the new wire kit as per the instruction on the kit..... Re-installed the seat and the battery cable.... The fault is gone.... I believe the job took me approximately 45 minutes and cost around $40.00... Thanks again to explorerdmb..... I hope this comment will help someone in the future with the same concern.... and save them some money.... Just remember-please make sure the restraint system is dis-engaged before repairing anything on the air bag system.... :)

:thumbsup: glad to help! that's why we're here. Now you have more reasons to become elite :thumbsup:

Is the TSB correct for Code?

ExplorerDMB said:
There is a TSB on this:

Article No.
03-11-3

06/09/03

(DTC) B2292

FORD:
2002-2003 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some 2002-2003 4Dr Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles may exhibit an air bag warning lamp illuminated

with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2292 and Light Flashing Code (LFC) 33 (Driver seat pretensioner fault)

OR

LFC 34 (Passenger seat pretensioner fault). This may be caused by intermittent pretensioner connection at either seat belt buckle.
Getting ready to order the pretensioner kit, but cruising around via Google I see sites that say a "33" is the passenger side code. Also, a disconnect of the passenger side connector briefly fixed the LFC 33 from blinking. I can't find another copy of this TSB. Is this TSB correct for which side is which?

I looked that information up in Alldata -- but if you want to use your source that's fine

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
I looked that information up in Alldata -- but if you want to use your source that's fine

-Drew
Not disagreeing. Misprints can happen, just want a second opinion with the same credibility as Alldata.

Thanks a lot I have the 34 code!

I really did not know what to do there is no sensor in the recoil of the seatbelt when I looked. But it sounds like it is in the seat buckle so I will move forward with this new information thanks it is great that this is out there to help us poor people who do not want to pay $100 to have them put it on the computer. To then tell me what it would cost to repair!!
ExplorerDMB said:
There is a TSB on this:

Article No.
03-11-3

06/09/03

(DTC) B2292

FORD:
2002-2003 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002-2003 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some 2002-2003 4Dr Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles may exhibit an air bag warning lamp illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B2292 and Light Flashing Code (LFC) 33 (Driver seat pretensioner fault) OR LFC 34 (Passenger seat pretensioner fault). This may be caused by intermittent pretensioner connection at either seat belt buckle.

ACTION

SERVICE INFORMATION

Obtain correct Service Kit and refer to instruction sheet included with kit for installation instructions.

2002 Model Year Through 3/3/02 Build Dates

^ Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-AAA

^ Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-AAB

^ Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-AAC

2002/2003 Model Years 3/4/02 Through 1/17/03

^ Medium Dark Parchment 1L2Z-78610E22-BAA

^ Midnight Black 1L2Z-78610E22-BAB

^ Dark Graphite 1L2Z-78610E22-BAC

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

031103A Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.3 Hrs.
Kit One Front Seat
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform

031103B Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.6 Hrs.
Kit Both Front Seats
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform

031103C Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.5 Hrs.
Kit One Front Seat
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform Deactivation And
Air Bag)

031103D Install Pretensioner Wiring 1.8 Hrs.
Kit Both Front Seats
(Includes Time To Remove
And Install Seat And To
Perform Deactivation And
Air Bag)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7861202 X2

OASIS CODES: 104000, 203200, 206000

Michael Cox said:
I really did not know what to do there is no sensor in the recoil of the seatbelt when I looked. But it sounds like it is in the seat buckle so I will move forward with this new information thanks it is great that this is out there to help us poor people who do not want to pay $100 to have them put it on the computer. To then tell me what it would cost to repair!!
Here's what screwed me up, the original poster said: "Somewhere I read a 33 code is for the passenger side air bag." According to the alldata report, 33 is the driver's side.

If you read the TSB it says:

Light Flashing Code (LFC) 33 (Driver seat pretensioner fault) OR LFC 34 (Passenger seat pretensioner fault).

Hope that helps

-Drew

Question about LFC 34

I have LFC 34 on my 2002 Explorer. My questions are:

How do I know which wiring kit to order?

Is there anything I can check before I spend the money?

Thanks.

-Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have LFC 34 on my 2002 Explorer. My questions are:

How do I know which wiring kit to order?

Is there anything I can check before I spend the money?

Thanks.

-Matt

Print the TSB that ExplorerDMB posted and take it to the Ford parts counter and tell them which side along with the build out date of the truck and the VIN as well as the interior color.

The only diagnostic I could do is unplugging and replugging the connector underneath the back of the seat. This may temporarily correct the fault and this is the clue that the wiring kit needs to be R&R'd.

Back