• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump relay location??

Edcon

Reaction score
City, State
Emmaus, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ranger XLT
A friend of mine is having trouble finding his fuel pump relay on a 91 4.0. He was told to check the power distribution box under the hood, but he said there are no relays in it. Could someone please guide me to its location? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never seen the relay myself, but I understand that it is on the underside of the power distribution box. The box is snapped into a bracket and there is tab near the inside fender wall that you push to release the box. I tried this but the wire bundles were too short for me to actually lift the box out, so I gave up.

Bob

I'll tell him to try that. Thank you for the quick response. Ed

I'm not sure the 91s have a 'relay'. There is a fuel pump fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

The fuel pump relay is below the fuse box under the hood. it is the relay closest to the rear of the vehicle. It is usually green. It should only be replaced with a motorcraft relay. Also be careful not to break the plastic parts. They tend to be brittle.

Unclemeat you can replace the sucker with any relay, they have ones at auto parts stores that will fit.

a 5 prong relay is a 5 prong relay typically in 12v applications.

Ford charges like $20 for each one if I remember right, Carquest was like $6.
hahaha

Thanks again for the help guys. I told him where to look, and I'll find out tomorrow how it worked out for him. Ed

If he gets the Distribution box off, I believe the OEM relay is the Green one.

The Distr. box lifts off..not easy though, you will want to look down the side closest to the Fender and see the Metal clip that holds it. may need to pry it back a bit with a large screwdriver

Fuel Pump Relay

There is a relay located under the power distrobution block. It is the green one closest to the firewall, just under the 2-15amp fuses and the 30amp fuel relay fuse. The easyest way to get to it is 2 - 8mm screws/bolts inside the fender that hold up power block.

hey i have a 94 4.0 that dies often. i know its in the fuel system somewhere just not sure where. when it dies and i go to start it again i dont hear the fuel pump "charge up" and will have to wait a matter of mins. before it will untill it will start again. the fuel pump is approx. 3 yrs old.

hey i have a 94 4.0 that dies often. i know its in the fuel system somewhere just not sure where. when it dies and i go to start it again i dont hear the fuel pump "charge up" and will have to wait a matter of mins. before it will untill it will start again. the fuel pump is approx. 3 yrs old.

Try replacing the FP relay. Cheap and easy fix.

Sounds like the Relay.
I bought my 'X' because the Previous Owner was going crazy with an intermittent shut off. Just for giggles I replaced the Relay, And I never had the issue. I guess I guessed right...It's been over 150K miles since I bought it.

It works!! thanks

Hi, I was having the same problem. After a few short trips the X refused to start, only cranks. I was suspecting about the fuel pump, but after check the prices, I made a search here and found this tips. I changed the relay Two days ago and problem solved. (1996 4WD w/146K), the power distribution box has 6 relays (two groups of three small and three standard size), the fuel relay is the closest to the firewall, standard cube size.

Thanks for the tip guys. :salute:

Daniel

Back