Solved - 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the answer to my previous post on how to hook up the rear sub on a 98 mountaineer. This should work on 96-00 explorers and mountaineers with MAch sound.So after studying the diagrams provided i figured a way how to hook up the sub with an aftermarket radio. 1. i first checked to see if the rear amp on pass side located near sub enclosure had power by checking LG/VT(pos) and BLK/LG(neg) for power (12V) i did .so assuming you got power on to the next step.2. locate behind radio a small connector that has four wires BN/OG, RD/BLK, DG/VT, and a solid BLK. 3. cut all wires except BLK off the connector.4. got unused rca cables laying around cut one channel(wire) about 6-8inches long. 5.peel back plastic outer casing on rca cable you just cut. heres how this works the prong that sticks out is the ground(-) and the outer ring part is the Pos(+) split those wires so you get 2 wires on for the ground and one for the pos 6. hook up the BN/OG(+) which is the pos(+) to the POS side of the rca wire. 7. repeat hook up RD/BLK(-) which is ground(-) to the ground side of the rca wire.8. now hook up DG/VT wire to the Blue/white wire (remote/mute)on the back of your aftermarket deck.9. plug rca wire into either red or white channels on the back of after market deck. 10. test it out worked out great for me.. The best way connect wires is to solder them together. but you can use butt-connectors, or even electrical tape for temp use. This is all assuming you have power to the amp and if the amp and sub are in working order. How this helps for no cost. Crutchfield does have a connector to do this its $15 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705517/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977 <-------link for connector....The way I explained cost you a rca cable that you may have laying around.and thats $0 extra spent. Contact me if you need more help.

My factory HU went out and Im going to buy a basic aftermarket deck but I wanted to find an adapter to power the subs instead of splicing all the wires. Will this harness power the sub and plug into any aftermarket HU?

My factory HU went out and Im going to buy a basic aftermarket deck but I wanted to find an adapter to power the subs instead of splicing all the wires. Will this harness power the sub and plug into any aftermarket HU?

I was unable to accomplish that feat after trying two aftermarket harnesses that promised to do just that. I finally gave up and rewired harness to my JVC radio.

Chuck

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have recently purchased a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT with a "High Level Audio System", the only thing I am trying to do with it is take out the radio and put another in. The one I am trying to put in it is a Sony CDX-GT09. When I put it in my Nissan Xterra it was quite simple and easy to follow. This Ford however has proven challenging. I cannot seem to find an accurate wiring diagram for the currently installed system, and I really dont want to rip everything apart just to run new wires. (although I could, because a later project is to install all the other speakers, subs, and amps).
So my question is this, can anyone direct me to a wiring diagram for a "High Level Audio System" for a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT.
I currently have the stereo out and am looking at the wires, if you'd like to see what I have I can put pictures up.

Hi Guys. I've been reading through this thread and I can't quite see a problem like mine. I have a '99 Explorer E.B. with the Mach system in it. I have had problems with the sub working sometimes and other times not at all. When the sub works, so does the changer and rear radio control. Otherwise, they don't. I'm not concerned as much about those as I am the sub. Just want it to work. I had pulled the head unit out one day with the ignition on and all of a sudden it kicked on. Then off, then on, etc. I've found that if I leave it hanging out of the dash a little and give it a little whack underneath, it will kick on. Sometimes it will stay on for days, others, it shuts right off. Is this a loose wire? A bad connection? It's driving me crazy!! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sorry none of this helped me.and i reallllly need some some most of the wiresin the dash are striped and then different in the doors. i have tried all the diagrams but none of them have the color combinations i need witb solid and striped. i have a 1998 ford explorer xlt and the factory unit is am/fm with a cd player and i can't the adapter for.the little plugin for.the speakers. and i realllllly wanna get this new cd player in there as soon as possible

1998 Radio wiring with JBL sound

Hi guys,
Below are the wiring colors in my stock 1998 explorer with JBL sound system.
I have used this site many times over the years to repair our 2 explorers. 1998 and 2000 year models.
Thanks to all you that have posted repair instructions in the past.
Some of you may cringe that use special wire connectors but I’m old school. Used the cut, strip, twist and cover with electrical tape method.
I wanted to change my stock radio with cd player to one that would accept mp3 input. Bought a cheap radio unit and allotted myself two hours to install it. Two hours, grrrrrr. The wiring posed a real issue. I thought it would be easy like it had been in the past. Grrrrr.
I could not figure out the wiring combination for the speakers. My main problem in hindsight was that I did not know that there was an external power amp and I was not connecting power to this. After messing with this a few hours I decided I would go buy a connector kit/harness. Went to Autozone bought the ford kit. The connectors would not fit the quick connects in my explorer. Grrrr. Took it back and went to Advance auto, same kit on their shelf.
Came back home, searched this site and the internet. All wiring diagrams I found were not the same color wires in my explorer. I had to work the next two days and rode around with no radio and wires sticking out of my dash (might as well walk than ride in a car with no radio). Not sure what I was going to do. Plan was to run all new wire to each speaker and radio power.
During a visit to the local Wallyworld (aka Walmart) I noticed a ford stereo connector on the shelf for $10.00.
It worked. I’m riding with mp3 now.
Here is the connector brand: Scosche model number FDK106, says it fits Ford 1989 thru 2011 with premium sound.
This was such a pain to find the corresponding wires to quickly connect a radio to that I pulled the radio back out and wrote the colors down to post on here.
There are two connectors on my car, one is a 8 pin connector (the power connector, and a 16 pin speaker connector.
Starting with the 16 pin speaker connector. Holding it facing toward you with the ridge on top there are 8 wires on the top row and 8 wires on the bottom row.
On the top row reading from left to right I will number 1-8 and the bottom row also reading from left to right I will number 9-16.
1- Tan.
2- Light blue with purple stripe. Right rear -
3- Purple with white stripe. Right rear +
4- Brown. Right front -
5- White with red stripe. Right front +
6- Green with black stripe.
7- Orange with black stripe.
8- Gray.
9- Blue with red stripe.
10- Yellow. Left rear -
11- Blue with black stripe. Left rear +
12- White with orange stripe. Left front -
13- Green. Left front +
14- Black. Black wire, not sure what this does but it’s connected. Power amp???
15- Green with red stripe.
16- Purple.

Eight pin power connector:
Holding it facing toward you with the ridge on top there are places for 8 wires.
Reading from left to right I will number 1-8.

1- Blue. Power antenna wire (this was my problem wire) see note below.
2- No wire here.
3- Black with green stripe. Ground wire
4- No wire here.
5- Red with black stripe. Dimmer wire.
6- Yellow with black stripe. Ignition wire.
7- Black. Unsure about this one, I connected to ground wire.
8- Green with purple stripe. Constant on/memory wire.

Number 1 above connects to the power amp which I have read is in the rear of the explorer. Not sure where it is. This blue wire you want to connect to your power antenna wire to turn the amp on when the radio is turned on. The speakers will have no sound until power is supplied to the amp by connecting the power antenna wire to the blue wire.

Tip: I remember this from years ago in high school. If you have engine noise or speaker whine it is usually caused by having a poor ground. I have since then always run a separate ground wire that I know is really connected well to the chassis.

Hope this helps,
John

JBL Audio System 1995

Hello, I'm new in the page.

Thanks for the JBL Audio System Wiring diagram for Ford Explorer 1997, it matches with my Ford Explorer 1995 EB.

I have a question and as I can see, you are great with this...

using the wiring diagram, the fuse 34 must be hot in start, but in my baby is not happening and revising continuity between the fuse, or the wire (light blue/red) i found continuity, i think there's a shorted...

i see that the same power line is used by the Interior Lights System, but that system is working fine.

Do you know anyway that I can take?? it could be helpful to me...

thanks for your attention...

Hello, I'm new in the page.

Thanks for the JBL Audio System Wiring diagram for Ford Explorer 1997, it matches with my Ford Explorer 1995 EB.

I have a question and as I can see, you are great with this...

using the wiring diagram, the fuse 34 must be hot in start, but in my baby is not happening and revising continuity between the fuse, or the wire (light blue/red) i found continuity, i think there's a shorted...

i see that the same power line is used by the Interior Lights System, but that system is working fine.

Do you know anyway that I can take?? it could be helpful to me...

thanks for your attention...

Do you mean there's no power at the fuse? Are you sure the fuse is good?

Do you mean there's no power at the fuse? Are you sure the fuse is good?

Yes, I am... but the strangest thing is the continuity between gnd and the fuse...

Continuity is measured in OHMs. Just cause there is continuity, doesn't mean it's stable.

Try putting another fuse in and checking the wires on the back of the radio.

Continuity is measured in OHMs. Just cause there is continuity, doesn't mean it's stable.

Try putting another fuse in and checking the wires on the back of the radio.

I'm going to try... and i tell you what happens.. thanks a lot for your help :thumbsup:

Hi, I'm after some info on the wiring colours for the three connection plugs that were plugged into the back of my 6006G head unit in my 2002 Explorer.

I think the plug for power has these wires;
bumps facing me, the colors are;
red/orange----black/orange---blue----red/black----black/pink----black----yellow/white

I think I have worked out one of the 3 plugs is the speakers
with the bumps facing toward me, the colors are;
brown/pink----orange/red----green/orange----white/light green----brown/yellow----grey/?----blue/white----orange/green

the third connector is smaller and off to the opposite side of the factory head unit
the colors are; 4 wires
black/white----black/orange----green/orange----yellow/?

I will double check the colors when it is daylight.

anyone have any information on the 2002 explorer xlt radio wiring?

ok I have done some diagnosing and have worked out 5 of the 7 wires

1.white/yellow ----12v constant

2.black -----------Ground

3.black/pink ------switched 12v ?????????

4.red/black -------illumination 150mv to 2.2v when lights on

5.blue ------------??????????

6.black/orange----Ground

7.red/pink --------switched 11.6v ?????????

ok so not entirely sure which wire is the actual acc on 12v? And not sure what blue wire does no voltage reading at all.

hope someone can help dieing to get my stereo in.

Merry Christmas to all

What pins do I jumper to get my rear speakers working?

I pulled my center console so I can drive from the passenger side. Anyone know what pins I can jumper to get my rear speakers working? This is on a 98 ford explorer XLT.

http://www.wittyinventor.com/connector.jpg
connector.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back