Axel ratio info for Gen 4 V8 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axel ratio info for Gen 4 V8 2wd

My old XLT 2wd 5.0L is beginning to nickel and dime me with repairs. I sometimes tow an RV, so I need a V8. I am looking at a gen4 as a replacement. When looking online, the few with a V8 mention 3.55 gears. Many don't mention anything, just a VIN. Is there a way to tell the rear gears by the VIN? My 96 has 3.73 gears (D4 inside the door) and I don't know if 3.55 will hack it with the RV.

I have read a lot of posts that if the hitch is 2 inch, it has the tow package. I want something more definitive than something like that. Anyone can put on a different hitch. The rear gears are my concern. It was key on my 96.

Also, are the Gen 4 trans as good as the 4R70W or better?

Repairs made in the past two years:
Radiator,water pump,hoses
AC compressor
Alternator
Front Cover
Rear wheel bearings
MAF sensor
EGR circuit
CMP sensor

Could be wrong, but think all V-8 6 spd in the 4th gen have 3.55 gears only with open carrier. No optional gear ratio or LS offered.

First few years are 6R60, last couple of years were 6R80. Trans gear ratio is 4.17 to 1 in first gear and gets the heavy weight moving very well. 4th gear ratio is 1.14 to1 while 5th and 6th gears are overdrive.

All trailer hitches are welded to the frame, 2" receiver has both 7 pin and 4 pin connecters. Prewired for electric brake controller.

Several regular members of the 4th gen forum tow with their 3V, if you post a message there, I'm sure they will respond.

The 6R80 is the auto trans behind the coyote motor. Very stout combination.

We are more than happy with our V8 Mountaineer as a tow vehicle. A last-model-year 2010 V8 with HD towing package would be a good find.

a. 4th gen V6 w/o HD towing package = 5-speed auto, 3.55 axles, 4-pin wiring, standard cooling, 1¼" receiver. 3500 lbs max tow rating (Class II).
b. 4th gen V8 w/o HD towing package = 6-speed auto, 3.55 axles, 4-pin wiring, standard cooling, 1¼" receiver. 3500 lbs max tow rating (Class II).
c. 4th gen V6 with HD towing package = 5-speed auto, 3.73 axles, 4/7-pin wiring, additional cooling, 2" receiver. Up to 5500 lbs max tow rating (Class III/IV).
d. 4th gen V8 with HD towing package = 6-speed auto, 3.55 axles, 4/7-pin wiring, additional cooling, 2" receiver. Up to 7400 lbs max tow rating (Class III/IV).

That's right, the 4th gen with V8 keeps the 3.55 gearing, because of the super-low 1st gear in the 6-speed trans. Best of both worlds. When towing, you have the low gearing powertrain to get you moving from a stop. When not towing, however, you will get better gas mileage, compared to the same vehicle with 3.73 axles. That's what we have in our Mounty, and it does a fantastic job pulling our camper, loaded to about 5200 lbs.

If you see a 2006-2010 Explorer or Mounty with 2" receiver in the bumper, you can be assured it has the factory HD towing package. As far as "anybody" swapping out receivers, no they can't. 4th gen receivers (1¼" or 2") are welded, integrated members of the frame. This was a change from the 3rd gen (which were bolted) to improve frame rigidity. The only way to swap receivers is to cut those welds, and re-weld a new frame member. Some people will bolt-on a Class III hitch under Class II unit, but you would recognize those immediately.

We have had no issues with our 6-speed trans. It's a completely sealed system. There is no dipstick in the engine bay, which can allow contaminants into the system. Under normal duty, they require no servicing. With towing duty, they call for periodic fluid change. As usual, opinions vary as far as a pan-drop, or a flush. Ours was serviced at about 60,000 miles before we purchased. I'm a tad over 100k now, and will have serviced before next camping season. Be aware, the OD lockout button locks out both 5th and 6th gears (they are both OD). This is an annoyance to me, as I'd often like to tow in 5th. In the end, I do what most modern owner's manuals tell you to do: Tow with OD on, unless the trans is "hunting".

Bill MacLeod,
Front axles are completely open. But the rears (at least on V8's) are clutch-type LSD.

Sorry brakeman, not interested in a pi$$ing contest.

At least in the 2006 model year, all rear 8.8 axles are conventional (open) type.
No Traction-Lok (LSD) offered. You will not find any info in the 2006 shop manual with regards to a locking diff, nor the use of a friction modifier, which would be a must for a Ford LSD.

Sorry brakeman, not interested in a pi$$ing contest...
I wasn't trying to argue, or be nasty, so I'll ask that you do the same. I made a simple statement, based on my understanding. I don't see a problem with us discussing it. Perhaps you are right. But it would be highly unusual to have that sort of change from the 1st to 2nd model year. But here is the information I have.

I had a vibration last year, which was difficult for me or my mechanic to diagnose, as it was not reproducible on-hoist. He originally thought it was the rear diff, but was not convinced enough to spend my money rebuilding. He had me drive it a bit more until it got a bit worse. It ended up being the front diff. Rebuilt that open unit, and all is well.

But in the process, he had already quoted the rear diff overhaul, which he said was a clutch-type LSD. When I look around for parts for a 2006 Mountaineer, I see plenty of clutch-sets.

Perhaps those are upgrades. But my guy has done many of these before, and said that they are all LSD.

Back