Roadbully Spacer Lift Install Tips. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roadbully Spacer Lift Install Tips.

hors_19

Reaction score
City, State
Lacey, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT NBX
Ok so to install the front,

First step is to put a jack under the lower control arm and disconnect the sway bar you can take the jack out after this step.

Second step is to disconnect the upper control arm, now to do this take the nut off once you have the nut off hit the actual hub casting that the ball joint goes into with a hammer one good time and it should pop right out.

Third step is to take the lower bolt out of the strut. Then Take the 3 nuts on the top off and you will be able to drop it down then pull it out.

Now to reinstall them just do it the opisite But remember that with the jack on the lower control arm you are going to compress the strut and then you are going to have to pull the upper control arm to the Hub casting.

OK so to install the rear ones,

First step is to put a jack under the lower control arm then take off the disconnect the sway bar you can take the jack out after this step.

Second step, there is a bolt that holds the lower control arm to the hub, take that out.

Third step is to take out the lower bolt on the strut.

Now here is the part that is a pain in the a$$, there are 3 nuts up top again but one is hidden kind of. There is a bump stop looking thing, what you are going to have to do is put a 13 mm 1/4 drive socket on the nut then put a ratchet on it. Now to put the ratchet on it you are going to need a bar to put under the body and on top of the strut and lift to get the ratchet on. once you get that one off you can continue with the rest.

Then you can push down on the lower control arm and take out the strut.

If you have the 1.5" spacers now you are going to either need a grinder or a hacksaw (which is what i used) to shorten the bolts on the strut to put the spacer on.

Then just reverse the steps and there you go lifted EX. Now remember if you don't have a lot of mechanical experience don't be worried it isn't hard just time consuming. It took me from about 1:00 to about 7:00 to complete so if you want to take it some where figure about 6-7 hours of labor you are going to pay.

Well I hope this helps out every body. If anybody has any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install is the same for the 3 inch spacers as well, but you definitely need a coil spring compressor to get the front struts back in. Also, for the rears i used a 13mm gear wrench instead of a socket. It fit in there pretty well and after i let the bolts soak in PB Blaster for about a half hour they came off easy.

no spring compressor needed plus it just gets in the way

time consuming yes even worse when everythings rusted = not good

watch the 3 bolts on top of the strut they will snap off pretty easily if rusted

right, not for the 1.5 inch. but it is definitely needed for the 3 inch spacers.

right, not for the 1.5 inch. but it is definitely needed for the 3 inch spacers.

As far as I know, Ben isn't making the 3" spacers anymore for the 3rd gens, only up to 2.5

I have an order in for some right now, and he said that 2.5 is as big as he builds.

Mine are a 2.25 front and 1.75 rear...so we'll see if a spring compressor is needed, I am going to rent one just in case. I plan to take pictures throughout the install to hopefully add to the discussion of installing the RB spacers on a 3rd gen.

As far as I know, Ben isn't making the 3" spacers anymore for the 3rd gens, only up to 2.5

I have an order in for some right now, and he said that 2.5 is as big as he builds.

Mine are a 2.25 front and 1.75 rear...so we'll see if a spring compressor is needed, I am going to rent one just in case. I plan to take pictures throughout the install to hopefully add to the discussion of installing the RB spacers on a 3rd gen.

roadbully includes very detailed instructions now, and youll see you wont need any commpressors....:thumbsup:

i put 3in on mine and i didnt need any spring compressors.......

also put 3" in mine and no compressor needed on removal or install of spacers

put the spacer in and use floor jack whalla no compressor needed :D

Back