Rear Coil Spring/Strut Replacement on 2002 Explorer XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Coil Spring/Strut Replacement on 2002 Explorer XLT.

djdresden

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I was wondering if anyone could give me step by step instructions on removing and replacing broken rear coil springs and struts on an xlt 4.6. I've scoured the forums and also the internet with little success. I've removed the top three bolts, the bottom bolt holding the strut to the control arm, compressed the spring, but with the break(s) in the spring, I just cant get the clearance. There has to be something I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shock replacement- 2002 exploreer

I was wondering if anyone could give me step by step instructions on removing and replacing broken rear coil springs and struts on an xlt 4.6. I've scoured the forums and also the internet with little success. I've removed the top three bolts, the bottom bolt holding the strut to the control arm, compressed the spring, but with the break(s) in the spring, I just cant get the clearance. There has to be something I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sorry you didn't get help here on the forum. How did you eventually solve the problem? Were the breaks such that the spring was 'not behaving'? Haynes manual says you don't have to compress the spriing to get the shock/spring off the car.
I'm looking at a broken spring on my daughter's explorer, and I'd like to know what to look out for. I've done struts many times, and while they may be reluctant, they have always come out.

Thanks!
Paul

explorer 2002 xlt rear coils sprig remove and install

Thanks for the post, I have to replace the struts and coils on my 2003 ford explorer, I read a post on this forum a few months ago on how to replace the bleed air actulator for my heater and it saved me $700.

Back