starter keeps running | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

starter keeps running

Thanks CDW.....I think I'm down to cables for sure as everything else is new. I can definitely see corrosion on/in the cables and will replace those completely from battery to starter. If that doesn't make things happen then I will be at a complete loss because everything will be new from the battery all the way down to the starter.

Will keep you all posted....

McMuddy

some fords cant remember which one off top of my head. have two solenoid one on the fender and one one the starter if you have a large cable and a small wire going to the starter then you have a solenoid on the starter. Why dont ask. You need to disconnect the small wire from starter then connect battery hope fully it doesn't turn over if it does on its own then the starter is stuck. If it does not check the small wire (Which is now disconnected) and see if it has power if the starter doesn't turn over and the small wire ha power then there is a problem in wiring. post results and we can figure it from there.

Hiya, on the way home I heard a strange new noise. Once home I turned
off the ignition but the starter kept turning over the engine! I quickly popped
the hood and disconnected the battery. I was thinking it was the Starter
solinode (On passengers side near the battery) so I disconnect that but when I reconnected the battery the starter engaged. Is there a relay
on the starter? Am I totally loosing my mind? lol

Help

Thanks in Advance!
-Joe
Yes there is a round solenoid on top of the starter and solenoid mounted on the firewall drivers side of the truck depending on your make and model.

Back