• Register Today It's free!

Disabling door chime

tom357mag

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I did a search and maybe I wasn't wording it right so here goes. I want to disable the door chime in my 99 XLT. Whats the easyest way to accomplish this.
Thanks
Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The warning chime is generated by the GEM and is not easily defeated.
You might be able to disable it for the "door ajar" warning by cutting a few wires going into the GEM, if your brave enough to do it.
The 99 model year wiring to the door ajar switches are as follows:
Left front; yellow with a black stripe

right front; gray with a red stripe

right rear; pink with a light blue stripe

left rear; light gray with a yellow stripe or a pink wire with a light blue stripe depending on what "power group" your truck has.

Pin numbers 5 6 7 and 8 leading into the GEM.
Do so at your own risk.
While I have the wiring diagram book for the 99 model year, this is how I interpret it.
Your results may vary and if you screw it all up, I do not want to hear about it.
Might be easier to just get used to the noise

Unable to disable door chime on '97 Ranger

I tried the possible solution I found here, cutting a single wire near the ignition switch but that hasn't worked. Any other good ideas good ideas?

Pete

BAN THE BONG!

I tried the possible solution I found here, cutting a single wire near the ignition switch but that hasn't worked. Any other good ideas good ideas?

Pete

BAN THE BONG!

I used the suggestion in the thread linked in post #2.
Worked great, but it was on my F-350 :confused:

I tried posting #2 with no luck

The next thing is looking for the black box containing that infernal chime. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the reply.

Pete

Back