TPMS and removing and remounting tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS and removing and remounting tires

gstuartw

Reaction score
City, State
Bartonville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
I'm going to have my wheels powder coated and obviously will need to have the tires removed and then remounted. Will this cause any issues with the TPMS? I think I saw something at Discount Tires a while back stating the need for new TPMS hardware when tires are replaced. Can anyone speak to this?

The wheels/tires only have 1900 miles and I'd hate to pay for parts I don't need if the TPMS isn't compromised with the removal and reinstall. Are there parts of the TPMS that are actually attached to the wheel that I'll need to remove before powder coating?

Thanks,

Stuart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stuart, I'd call your local Ford Dealer's Service dept. I'm also a little confused about this on tirerack and discount tires direct say you need a TPMS rebuild kit, but I think this depends on what condition or mileage have been accumulated. I'd call Ford they should be able to tell you for sure.

nothing to worry here.

Just unmount your tires, remove the tpms, do the powdercoating then reinstall everything.. just think of the tpms like valve stem.. Discounttires always want to replace them because that is added revenues. You might need to "service" the tpms after a 4-5 years, not when you car is 3 months old.

btw you know a good place to do powdercoating in DFW? how much are you quoted, are they removing everything for you or you have to take it to a tire place first?? I am looking to do the same to my Infiniti.

What color powder coat?

nothing to worry here.

Just unmount your tires, remove the tpms, do the powdercoating then reinstall everything.. just think of the tpms like valve stem.. Discounttires always want to replace them because that is added revenues. You might need to "service" the tpms after a 4-5 years, not when you car is 3 months old.

I spoke with a friend in the car biz and he confirmed what you say, only adding that as long as who ever takes the tires off doesn't let the tire get hung up on the TPMS it will be fine, may just need a reset. He's a meticulous auto guy, used to build race cars, and has the equipment so I'm just going to have him do the R&R on the tires.

btw you know a good place to do powdercoating in DFW? how much are you quoted, are they removing everything for you or you have to take it to a tire place first?? I am looking to do the same to my Infiniti.

I checked around a couple of places and I'm going to Crosslink in Dallas, they quoted $75 a wheel. There are a couple of Crosslink franchises in the metroplex including one closer to me in Denton. My brother in law has used a few companies in the area for small jobs and found this to be the best.

Crosslink Powder Coating 11122 Morrison Lane 972-484-3322 ( East of 35, North of Walnut Hill)

As for how you'll need to bring the wheels to them, they don't have the equipment to remove the tires so you need to bring the bare wheels to them. I'll remove the TPMS and valve stems before hand.

What color powder coat?

Matte Black

What next???

Holy Sh*t!

I just had the tires removed from my wheels (Discount Tire) and brought them home to remove the TPMS. The sending unit came off easily with just an Allen screw. Bigger issue is the valve stem. I have no idea how to remove it without brute force that will likely damage the stem.

Googled Ford TPMS Valve Stem and found a site called fordtpms.com and the following info that might make you hesitate before you rotate your tires...

"Registration of Ford TPMS ID's

When the TPMS system is fitted at the factory the unique ID numbers of the TPM sensors have to be registered along with their position on the car with the tire pressure monitor ECU. This is also the case if any of the system components are subsequently changed e.g. in the event of rotating the tires, changing sensors, replacing the ECU etc. This process requires the activation of the TPMS sensor using low frequency radio and the capture of the UHF data transmitted. This data includes the TPMS ID, the pressure and temperature. In the plants the activation is carried out using large antenna systems on the production line but in the dealerships and tire shops hand tools are used. These tools can also be used to check the TPMS for faults prior to disassembly. If a TPM sensor or its position on the car is changed without re-registering the IDs then the TPMS warning light will turn on and stay on until the ID's are reregistered."

Who knew? Does that even sound accurate? Who's rotated tires lately? Did you have this issue?

But then I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the stems.:rolleyes:

UPDATE: Stems have to be destroyed to remove. My local dealer sells them for $9.00, Hanco, a tire industry supplier in Minnesota sells them for $4.50. http://www.hancousa.com/tpmsTips.php
Order page for stems https://estore.hancousa.com/storefr...&keyword=TPM20018&emailAddress=&numResults=25

"...If a TPM sensor or its position on the car is changed without re-registering the IDs then the TPMS warning light will turn on and stay on until the ID's are reregistered."

Who knew? Does that even sound accurate? Who's rotated tires lately? Did you have this issue?
[/url]

Anyone?

You do not need to register the TPMS if you rotate the tires.

I had both my 2011 Explorer and my 2011 F150 tires rotated. Nothing was reset, no dash light, etc.

Guys, is there a way to see tire pressures from the info screens? Can't seemed to find it, or a way to reset the TPMS.

Thanks

Guys, is there a way to see tire pressures from the info screens? Can't seemed to find it, or a way to reset the TPMS.

Thanks

No way to see individual tire pressures. If that were possible, we'd be dealing with the aforementioned issues about having to reprogram the TPMS when tire rotations are done.

Does our TPMS monitor rotation variances or does it actually broadcast a number?

No, the indicator light illuminates if one or more of the tires has a low pressure.

Ok, so it sends a number vs. rotational variance. Thanks

hi guys, currently have an '07 w/ 2nd set of tpms equipped winter tires. have the procedure and the activation tool for the band style sensors. what is necessary for the '12? fords back to a valve stem sensor so is a magnet all we need? anyone have the instructions to enter learning mode?

tia,
parker

Back