02 Explorer metal on metal rubbing noise when turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer metal on metal rubbing noise when turning

BigFellor

Reaction score
City, State
****tsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Vehicle is a 2002 Ford Explorer 4x4. Tonight it developed a metal on metal rubbing noise while turning right. Turning left or straight the noise goes away completely. Turning right and and it gets worse, almost to a grinding noise the further right I turn. Any ideas on what I should look into or what could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After C-V check, look closely for back side of front brake rotor interfering with the "lip" on the very outer edge of the lower control arm. We had one where the rear braking surface of the rotor had a groove worn in it 1/8 inch deep. imp

What am I checking and how for the cvs?

What am I checking and how for the cvs?

Take off front wheels.
A slight area exists on the back side of the brake rotor splash guards where the entire width of the area swept by the pad (on the back side of the rotor) is exposed. Look at that for a groove being cut in the surface. If it's there, steering the wheel is allowing the rotor to rub on the outer edge of the lower control arm

C-Vs tend to make a rather clicking noise when going bad, noticeable when the wheels steer to go around a corner. You can turn each side most easily by hand with the wheels mounted on the car, front end raised off the ground, and the steering wheel rotated into a turning stance. Good C-Vs will feel smooth as they are rotated. There are 2 on either side, front axle; the outer one rotates about the steering axis. imp

I just had this same problem with my truck, grinding when I turned right but nothing when I turned left or went straight. Jack your truck up and check for play in the driver side rear wheel bearing

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254848

Watch the video I posted and see if the noise is similar to yours. If so, its the driver rear wheel bearing

What is the explanation for a bad rear wheel bearing making noise when turning left?? During a left turn, the right side wheels turn faster than the left, as they travel a greater distance. Furthermore, turning left increases the weight carried by the right side wheels, and removes weight from the left side, which should make a bad bearing on the left side make LESS noise. imp

Tanks for the tips guys. I turned out to be pretty simple; I had new pads and rotors put on the back and one of the backing plates came loose a little and was rubbing on the back of the rotor. Put it back in place and all is well. Whew.

What is the explanation for a bad rear wheel bearing making noise when turning left?? During a left turn, the right side wheels turn faster than the left, as they travel a greater distance. Furthermore, turning left increases the weight carried by the right side wheels, and removes weight from the left side, which should make a bad bearing on the left side make LESS noise. imp

I was turning to the right in that video. Turn right, bad rear left, turn left, bad rear right?

Grinding while turning right or have car lean right...

After C-V check, look closely for back side of front brake rotor interfering with the "lip" on the very outer edge of the lower control arm. We had one where the rear braking surface of the rotor had a groove worn in it 1/8 inch deep. imp

What did you find that was causing this? I have a 2002 explorer xlt awd that is doing that. When I turn to the right it grinds. I can even while driving jerk the wheel to the right a little at it will grind. ????

its deff a wheel bearing.

I replaced the wheel hub assembly, new upper ball joint, and put a new axle in. Nothing changed.

Back