XLT-Eddie Bauer-Limited?? What's the difference? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XLT-Eddie Bauer-Limited?? What's the difference?

UKCat123

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
Okay guys, something has me wondering....what makes an XLT an XLT? A Limited a Limited? So on and so forth....

I have an XLT with...

-luxury package (i.e. leather seats, power seats, over head console)
-6 Disc changer w/ premium sound
-Moon roof
-Towing package
-Remote start/keyless entry

Now, to me, this in my mind we be considered a "Limited" version...but it is not. So what is the difference between the 3 overall? Or should I say....what does the limited have that mine does not? In my mind, mine appears to be what you would call "decked out." I have the original sticker and it sold for $34,000 back in '97.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many of the features that were optional on an XLT were standard on an EB, and many of the options available on the EB were standard on the Limited. There may have been some features available on the Limited not available on the EB, and some features available on the EB that weren't available on the XLT.

Now, between the XLT and Limited? World of difference, but mostly cosmetic stuff... Nicer wheels and tires, different interior options, different colors, color-keyed trim on the outside, several better audio system options, moonroof was probably standard on the limited, etc.

An XLT is not a Limited plain and simple.

well, i have a limited and the things you didn't mention that i can think of is heated mirrors and heated seats. also the Limited insignia on the seats and rear hatch. haha. other than that i'm not sure.

Okay guys, something has me wondering....what makes an XLT an XLT? A Limited a Limited? So on and so forth....

I have an XLT with...

-luxury package (i.e. leather seats, power seats, over head console)
-6 Disc changer w/ premium sound
-Moon roof
-Towing package
-Remote start/keyless entry

Now, to me, this in my mind we be considered a "Limited" version...but it is not. So what is the difference between the 3 overall? Or should I say....what does the limited have that mine does not? In my mind, mine appears to be what you would call "decked out." I have the original sticker and it sold for $34,000 back in '97.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

EBs have a distinctive two tone paint with Tan on the bottom. I believe they have special leather captains chairs too. They also have things standard that may be options on lower trims. An XLT could be upgraded to the level of an EB or Limited, minus special trim or features.

Limiteds I believe came standard with distinctive features such as a memory seat, heated mirrors and auto leveling suspension. They also have a different seat that is similar to a Lincoln.

I always wondered why my EB don't have running boards or a limited slip though....

weird, my limited doesn't have auto leveling suspension. i remember also that it has the garage door opener built in as well.

Yeah that makes sense guys. I didn't take into account the cosmetic options as well as heated mirrors, seats, etc.

So maybe you could call my XLT a fully optioned XLT?

While I am thinking about it...let me get the opinion of some of you knowledgable denizens....

I have the SOHC engine and am under the gun to find out if the timing chain needs to be replaced (Just bought the truck a few short months ago)...

What would be the best and easiest way to find out if it already has been repaired/replaced by Ford back when it was under warranty? Carfax? This would be a huge relief off my shoulders if it was replaced 3 or 4 years ago.

Yeah that makes sense guys. I didn't take into account the cosmetic options as well as heated mirrors, seats, etc.

So maybe you could call my XLT a fully optioned XLT?

While I am thinking about it...let me get the opinion of some of you knowledgable denizens....

I have the SOHC engine and am under the gun to find out if the timing chain needs to be replaced (Just bought the truck a few short months ago)...

What would be the best and easiest way to find out if it already has been repaired/replaced by Ford back when it was under warranty? Carfax? This would be a huge relief off my shoulders if it was replaced 3 or 4 years ago.

Go to your friendly Ford dealer and have them run the VIN. If it was a recall or extended warranty it will most likely be on record.

weird, my limited doesn't have auto leveling suspension. i remember also that it has the garage door opener built in as well.

My '99 EB has Homelink. I love it.

I wouldn't want that auto-leveling suspension. More hassle if you want aftermarket shocks (I love my Bilsteins)

I always wondered why my EB don't have running boards or a limited slip though....

My '99 EB has both.

I think Limiteds almost always come with the venerable 5.0. V8 Many EB's do. The XLT had it as an option, but most I see are V6 (OHV pre-'97 and SOHC after that)

You can find nicely loaded XLT for sure. But the trim level on the 4 doors (in order of "prestige"):

XLS->XLT->EB->Limited

Don't forget about the Limited Grille...

Just joined recently. I'm thinking of buying a 2009 Explorer XLT and adding a moonroof, Premium Sound system, Leather seating, and the Convenience and Appearance packages to get a model that's closer to a Limited. I don't need third row seating and certain other non-essential options.

Missing on the XLT that is standard on the Limited that I would want include chrome exterior mirrors, interior wood trim, stitching in the center console lid, and possibly perforated leather on door interior trim (not sure). You can get similar wood trim at various website vendors. You also possibly replace the console lid with the Limited version. I think the leather seats are identical for all Explorers. So, for me, this would be close to a Limited.

grill and front fascia for the ltd. No bun warmers, roof or V8 on mine. Does have the auto leveling suspension, different seat "pattern" (hate them, would much rather have bolstered support) did have the JBL radio, body colored door handles and running boards.

Just joined recently. I'm thinking of buying a 2009 Explorer XLT and adding a moonroof, Premium Sound system, Leather seating, and the Convenience and Appearance packages to get a model that's closer to a Limited. I don't need third row seating and certain other non-essential options.

Missing on the XLT that is standard on the Limited that I would want include chrome exterior mirrors, interior wood trim, stitching in the center console lid, and possibly perforated leather on door interior trim (not sure). You can get similar wood trim at various website vendors. You also possibly replace the console lid with the Limited version. I think the leather seats are identical for all Explorers. So, for me, this would be close to a Limited.

Apples and oranges. This thread deals with 2nd generation Explorers (95-01). You drive a 4th generation (2006+ I think). There is a forum on this site that deals with what you want. You're better off starting your own thread rather than replying to another.

Welcome to the site. This is a great Explorer resource for ALL Explorers. :)

Doesn't the Ltd. have the radio controls on the steering wheel?

96 Limited w/ Heated Seat?

Hi. I just bought this 96 Limited. The drivers seat gets hot and has the black marks to prove it's heated. However I can't find any switchs on the seat for the heater and I can't find any reference in the owners manual about the heated seat/seats. What's up! Could somebody have added it later?

Hi. I just bought this 96 Limited. The drivers seat gets hot and has the black marks to prove it's heated. However I can't find any switchs on the seat for the heater and I can't find any reference in the owners manual about the heated seat/seats. What's up! Could somebody have added it later?

yes someone probably added it later.

Rear Speaker Removal

Also do you know how to get the cover off of the rear speaker? The one that's in the right rear quarter panel. The xl's have a little pocket with a net over it in the same spot. I tryed to pry on it, but I'm sure it would break first.

01 Limited

I have an 01 limited with the self leveling suspension. I belive that was an option that came with the towing package. The seat heater button is on the side of the seat nearest the door. I have seen Limiteds with 6 cylinder engines but mine does have the 8.

I believe the limited also had adjustable headrests.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fender flares and running boards on the exterior.

Back