Just got my first Ford - 2016 Explorer XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got my first Ford - 2016 Explorer XLT.

xerais

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
First Ford: 2016 Explorer XLT - Bad Sensors and wiring.

Hey all,

I've been reading these forums for the last few weeks as I finally got my new Explorer this last Monday.

Overall I really like the truck, the features, and how quiet it is in the cabin. It looks pretty snazzy and I've enjoyed having the room in the back after putting the 3rd row down.

I ordered a weather tech liner yesterday so I'm pretty stoked to be getting that sometime this week.

I've had two issues though, and that isn't really a good thing considering I have 100 miles on a brand new vehicle. The first one is a dealer mix-up and has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle. Apparently when they went and picked it up from another dealership they took a wrong key. I didn't notice it until I got home and one of the fobs didn't work. So they took it and are having the correct one mailed to them. Hopefully I get it this week.

The other issue is a lot more concerning. On the second day when I turned on the car and started driving I got an error message on the screen saying parking assist fault. I called the dealership and they already checked it out. They told me they had ordered the parts to fix it and they should be in sometime this week. They are giving me a vehicle to drive and said it might take a couple days to fix the problem. I'm assuming it has to do with the sensors, as I don't have the actual assisted parking add on (but I do have front and rear proximity senors installed).

The dealership is doing everything to remedy the problem, and I have no doubts that it will be tip top after they replace whatever is causing the issue. I guess its just more concerning that a day after getting a vehicle I'm already having to have something fixed? I've only owned honda/acura/toyota vehicles up to this point and I didn't have to have anything fixed until over at least 100,000 miles. I'm really hoping this is an anomaly and not the start of something worse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back and get a new one!!! That's no way to start off with a brand new truck.... I don't care what they r doing ... It's the biggest inconvence of having a new car and ur suppose to be enjoying it and u have to take it in to be fix... Plus it's going to take a while if they r giving u a loaner... Pick a new .... They shouldn't give u a problem... None of the paper work went out yet

Yea it hasn't really been an enjoyable experience. The worst of any car purchase honestly.

You should take it back. Things the dealer never tell buyers is that you have up to 500 miles to return a car. Take it back and ask for a new one.

I've only owned honda/acura/toyota vehicles up to this point and I didn't have to have anything fixed until over at least 100,000 miles. I'm really hoping this is an anomaly and not the start of something worse.

Congrats on your new truck, but sorry to hear about the problems you have already experienced. I too have owned Toyota/Lexus and unfortunately Ford has still not come up to speed with what I believe are the most reliable cars made, Honda/Acura/Toyota. Ford vehicles simply take more care and feeding than Japanese technology.

yeah aside from the OMG it's piece . . . . .

thing get damaged in shipping all the time. wouldn't surprise me if one of your sonor sensors is doa or has a scratch in it (ridge in the paint throws off the pick up of the return signal - thinks something's on it all the time)

Take it back and get a new one... that's funny. It's not an iPod or something like that and a dealer certainly isn't just going to swap out a (now) used for a new Explorer.

Hope you have your issues resolved.

OH and Good luck - some dealers do indeed suck donkey _________ and need to be reported and shutdown.

sorry but that's the way it is and I wish the American car companies would stand up to them like the japanese ones did in the 90's.

but there are some good ones out there - most are family owned and in small towns.

Well bit of an update...

The dealer has had the vehicle for two days now. It isn't the sensors as they apparently test fine. They think its the wiring. Fantastic.

I've been given a rental to drive so at this point I'm not even upset with the dealer. They are fixing the problem and gave me a 2016 mkz with a full tank of gas. I'm more frustrated that I apparently got a lemon.

Got the explorer back today. Apparently there was a bad splice near the engine that was causing all of the issues.

Glad to have it fixed!

You should take it back. Things the dealer never tell buyers is that you have up to 500 miles to return a car. Take it back and ask for a new one.

Seriously?? The OP has ONE issue and should request a new vehicle? How about giving a dealer a chance to fix the problem first, especially if the dealer is giving them a vehicle to drive... If it can't be fixed, that is a different story.. Talk about jumping the gun.

Got the explorer back today. Apparently there was a bad splice near the engine that was causing all of the issues.

Glad to have it fixed!

Sounds like they had to troubleshoot a little more then expected but glad they found the problem. There are so many wires in vehicles these days that unfortunately it is easy for a splice or kink to happen to create an electrical gremlin.

Glad to hear the dealership took great care of you and you should be problem free for quite some time now.

Well,

Explorer back at the dealership. The issue started happening again. I dropped it off last Thursday and I get a call this morning that they think its a wire harness near the front bumper that is getting wet. The service tech told me the part is on back order and he doesn't know why or when they will get it.

I'm starting to get pretty upset. He's supposed to call later today with an update.

This is the 3rd time I've had the vehicle in for service... I've had it for less than a month and put less than 300 miles on it.

Update:

Well not really. Part is still "back ordered" and I have no ETA of when they will get it or when I will get my vehicle back. At this point I'm starting to feel like I should be given a replacement vehicle.

I assume you are in communication with the Ford Customer Service team on here for support and if extended you may want to look into a lemon law lawyer. But understand often Ford (or any other OEM) will stop talking with you once you disclose/file lemon law proceedings.

I'd take the thing to another dealer.

I'd also make sure to remove any dealer badging from the car - but I do that anyway.

huge +1 to calling ford directly

I called Ford today and they opened a case. I was told to expect a call by the end of business tomorrow.

Update:

Well not really. Part is still "back ordered" and I have no ETA of when they will get it or when I will get my vehicle back. At this point I'm starting to feel like I should be given a replacement vehicle.

Part back ordered could possibly be: "we don't know what the problem is, so we will hold onto it and hope we can figure it out".

I'd ask for the part number and see what it is and if it is available online.

If it is truly back ordered, then at least you know they probably think they have the fix.

I'm guessing it is:

Part Name: Parking Aid And Fog Light Jumper Harness
Brand: Ford Parts
Part Number: 15K867

Their inventory shows 0 when I searched for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't receive a call from a manager as I was told would happen. I called in this morning and the representative I talked to said there was a note saying I had been called.

This is so frustrating. By far the worst new vehicle experience I have ever had. As it stands my vehicle is still at service (3rd time since 9/28/15) and I have no ETA, no contact from ford support or any idea what the heck is going on.

At this point I'm going to keep posting updates on this thread, as apparently there is nothing else I can really do.

Back