• Register Today It's free!

A4LD overdrive out?

rabo

Reaction score
City, State
bryson NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4x4
On my 91 4x4 the transmission is just slipping in overdrive; I cant drive away in it. Everything else works just fine (PRN D21). If I put the gear in OD while driving >50 mph it works fine , but as soon as the tranny shifts back there is nothing there (just empty revs).
I guess I have a C3? transmission now.
Anybody having suggestions whats wrong?
Can I drive the thing like this till it falls apart completely (130K now).
I never had a car where the powerwindows outlasted the tranny.
Can I put larger tires in the back to get
overdrive?
Thanks in advance ,
Martin

:exp:
hey Rabo,
I have a 94 limited and my transmission went out at 92k and then on my second tranny mine started some what yours is doing mine wouldn't shift from 1st to second till I drove about 4 blocks and then when I drove down the highway in OD and I would hit 50 it would rev like it was slipping but if I put it D it would run fine just that it would use more gas, So I did some research and I found out that the transmission runs on electronics and the engine tells it when to shift and it runs by voltage so there isn't enough voltage there its not going to shift right, well I took it back to the shop and found out that I needed another over haul and I ended up buying a new casing and electronic components plus the guts to the tranny my guess your going to need an overhaul soon hopefully that helps you some.

Back