Looking for opinions on weight distribution and a 7 pin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for opinions on weight distribution and a 7 pin

For my 96 5.0 Explorer. I have the Draw-tite 7500lb hitch on it's way but am looking for a nice weight distribution setup for it too. Can anyone recommend one?

I don't know anything about weight distribution and what's good and what's not to please school me. All I've seen is that some are bad to back up with and I will have to back up so need one that offers that ability.

My Explorer also has no tow package and I will need a 7 pin harness. I e-mailed etrailer to see what they have since I could only find 4 pins on their site. But does anyone know of a 7 pin setup for my truck?

TIA

P.S. I also have a 98 F-150 I'd like to be able to use this same weight distribution setup with so hopefully they are universal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found this link that was a huge help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2WMeZy07Jg

Guess I have to find out my trailer specs to determine the proper weight distribution hitch.

I know it's a 2010 open Bri-Mar CH-18 but I can't seem to find the old specs online.

If you're going to be pulling something heavy enough that it requires a WDH, you're probably going to need to add more than just a receiver and wiring harness if you don't have a factory tow package.

If you're going to be pulling something heavy enough that it requires a WDH, you're probably going to need to add more than just a receiver and wiring harness if you don't have a factory tow package.

The truck has a factory trans cooler and I did an AAL out back and the warrior shackle. All fluids have been done too. What else would I need?

bump. Anybody?

Well I took it upon myself to add a 4 and 7 pin as well as a new hitch to my truck. It's 7500 lbs with the WD and 5000 without. What weight distribution system is best for me? I'd like ot be able to use it with my F-150 as well.

Equalizer brand works great for me, with integrated sway control.
But I agree with the others. If you don't have the factory HD towing package, I recommend you look up the Ford Towing Guide for your model year, and see exactly what you need to add to get the tow rating you desire.

Do not just assume. You likely need to change axle ratios, which will be expensive.

Equalizer brand works great for me, with integrated sway control.
But I agree with the others. If you don't have the factory HD towing package, I recommend you look up the Ford Towing Guide for your model year, and see exactly what you need to add to get the tow rating you desire.

Do not just assume. You likely need to change axle ratios, which will be expensive.

I have the factory trans cooler because it's a V8 (yes I checked anyway) and being a V8 it also has 3.73 gears and power steering cooler. This rig will very rarely tow as I have an F-150 I normally tow with. This is merely a backup vehicle in case I get in a jam.

What else would I have to change to tow? My old 99 F-150 had a non PI 4.6, 3.55 gears, no trans cooler and 32" tires factory, my Ex has 32" tires, 3.73 gears WITH a trans cooler and obviously weighs a good 1000 lbs less with a rebuilt 306. The only thing the F-150 has over the ex is a longer wheel base, but as far as straining the drive train the 150 was way worse off.

The 98 150 I tow with now has a tow package with a 5.4 and all that, but just to compare I used my old 99. Granted I would love to have 4.10's but since I rarely tow I don't see any reason to go through all the trouble.

I don' t know what else would have been included in the factory tow package. That's why I recommend you look it up in the Ford Towing Guide for your model year.

Back