T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV

Well I got tired of the 4.0 ohv not having any power on the highway climbing the hills on the 62 and having no low end in 4x4 high offroad, especially now that I have a pickup with a 5.7 v8 in it..

I've been lurking for some time since I've been kinda busy with work but, I got my hands on a Turbonetics T3 T4 hybrid so it's project time. It has the .48ar T3 turbine and a f1-57 trim T4 compressor. I expect this thing will spool FAST but I am not making any claims to being too familiar with forced induction..worst case scenario is there's a problem I can get a higher trim turbine.

I plan on having it live just behind and to the right of the alternator after doing test fitting. Its snug but should work nice to draw through my snorkel set up and for routing the exhaust.

Now, I have a concern about drawing through the stock airbox with a K&N drop in.. will this be too much suction and cause oil to get past the center housing seals?

If I hit full boost before highway cruising speed will that boost still be effective once in the higher RPM's? ie: is 7lb boost (where I plan to limit it at) at say, 1500 rpm still 7lb boost at 3k rpm?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the guru advice and input. I'll try to post through the project and get some pics up since everyone likes pics.

:usa: 'merica

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not trying to rain on you parade here, but at 7 lbs boos you are going to need more stuff.

Larger injectors, maf, sct programmer, and someone to tune it. Have you thought about how your going to route the exhaust to the turbo?

I say keep going! Lots of us would love to see this happen.

I already have a SCT from my manual swap and there's a shop about 30 min away I'll probably have do my tune. I'm still gathering up parts I just didn't list everything.

Next buy will be the waste gate and the flange for the inlet.

Still will need BOV, fuel pump, more exhaust piping and the inlet flange, also will be doing an intercooler and getting all of the intake plumbing for that.

I'll also be getting some heat insulation so I don't melt or burn anything above or near the turbo.

Oil lines and fittings are supposed to come in tomorrow. Everything else I'll be gathering up over the next couple of paychecks.

I've done a lot of test fitting and poking around the engine and I'll be cutting the stock y and putting in an aftermarket y running it under the oil pan and up the passenger side of the block for the inlet so I can run the turbine on both banks. The outlet I'll run out over the passenger head/down pipe to the cat, under the ac/heater box and plumbing.

I'm lifted with a bit of a body lift so I have a little extra wiggle room to play with which helps. Some of my planning will probably change as I go but it will be a fun project.

Your a lot further along than I thought. Excellent.
sounds like this one is going to happen. Happy days!

Yeah, I'm pretty anxious to get this project done but, I dont want to cut corners.

I look forward to the results of it should net me some decent gains.

I see you're turbo'd in your signature with the 5.0, what kind of mileage are you seeing if you drive it lightly?

My mileage went up ever so slightly. It could just be from the tuning though.

Well now, that isn't too bad. If mine doesn't get worse after this I'll be very pleased.

I'm betting you will be happy with the turbo.
I found my supercharged 4.0ohv took a bad hit in gas mileage in the city. The instant torque of that supercharger is missed on a turbo unit though. Its a trade off.

q3kqVm.jpg

More parts were in a obsurdly large brown box on my door step after work today

I have 3' of -10an hose I will probably only use 6-8 inches of and matching fittings which will comprise the drain to the oil pan. I'll have to tap a hole through the pan, probably the front on the passanger side of the crank, and weld on the drain bung fitting.

The smaller 3' of -4an line will be for the pressurised feed, coming from where the oil pressure sender is. Which is why there is a 2 male 1 female T attached to one end, so I can keep the pressure sender.

I'll be picking up a few brass reducers to make it link up to the turbo and the adapter for the oil pressure sender since both have smaller threads.

Every peice is one step closer to build day.

On my 5.0 I struggled with planning the T off he oil sender. You pretty much just have to pull it apart and see what kind of room and not fittings you need. I'm sure you have a place close by that carries that sort of stuff so you can build your T. Mine was easy once I had it apart and quit over thinking it.

So, the question before next week is which wastegate.

Right now I am looking at either a turbsmart or tial. I hear good things on both brands but I can't really decide.

Im starting to lean toward the turbosmart ultragate 38mm. The other option is the Tial F38 or mvs. If money was not a factor I'd probably go Tial mvs-ar or f46 with the cooling fins.

Ive heard good stuff about the china stuff. I don't have any real wisdom, as the wastegate and bov I have are old used tial wastegate, and HKS bov. I just installed it, and it worked. It was surprisingly simple for me. Usually the used stuff I buy is screwed, so I'll call myself lucky for a change.

I found the flanges and gaskets were a pain in the a$$. Depending where you place the wastegate, you may need a boost controller instead of screwing around with different springs. My wastegate is at the back of my truck, and I was loosing a few lbs boost by the time the compressed air made it to the front of the truck. The boost controller fixed me right up.

Well both are western made. Tial is USA and Turbosmart Australian. I plan on mounting it pretty close to the front by the turbo either behind or to the passenger side of the power steering cooler somewheres about. The feed pipe will be running between the block and the stock crossmember which will be the big determining factor.

I dont anticipate a big variance in boost to the engine from psi wastegated at since the gate will be run off the compressor housing which should provide an accurate read. The intake lines from the compressor through the intercooler to the throttlebody are all going to be pretty short in length too.

I hope the springs do me right but if there's any problems I'll keep that in mind as it would also add to flexibility in boost setups.

Q15w2G.png

There's the victim.

Old girl still looks good in the evening light :thumbsup:.

Well, the waste gate and the inlet flange are supposed to arrive tomorrow, I may just pull out the old credit card and buy everything but the intercooler and intake lines for it and the BOV.

If I get all the piping I need for the exhaust I can do all the welding and get it out of the way, once it's done it sets the stage for the oil lines and the intake lines/intercooler.

I'm thinking of horizontally mounting the intercooler under the frame rails between my winch and the powersteering cooler. Not too sure how effective that would be though without making some kind of scoop.

Parts have been trickling in over the last week or so. Last oil line fittings. Some silicon adapters, the intercooler, and new fuel pump.

maf, fuel injectors, intercooler pipes, the last peices of exhaust pipe, heat shielding, and a boost guage are all that are left before the build and tune.

Actual build will likely happen this fall when welding is cheaper and garage temperatures aren't as high.

I can't tell you how excited I am to see the build on this! I've got a whole mess of turbo stuff laying around from my 2.3t days.

Well hopefully I don't drag it out on you guys too long, the last big purchases over the next couple of months will be the injectors, maf, and bov plus the tune and about 200 bucks in odds and ends.

The old lady is being really cool about it since we're saving to have a "real wedding" next year. It helps when I let her buy shoes and don't complain :dunno: as long as she's happy the project creeps on.

I did some tack welds today after work hooking together my optima batteries in series... Then test fitted the exhaust feed pipes with the turbo in place and the air filter box. It's all fitting up as planned, it's a little more Tetris to get the pipes in than I expected but it's a good start and they do go in.

Makes me feel better as I go to measure twice, cut once, test fit too many times.. Then I'll weld it all for keeps with my buzz box at a buddies who has the right outlets.

I just want to have everything and be sure it will all fit well before I start cutting the y pipe and welding everything so the truck is deadlined only briefly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah, I also bought some sheet metal and bent up a scoop for the intercooler since its mounted horizontal under the frame rails. Works well as far as I can tell driving it to the auto parts store today and at low speed or stopped air from the fan will hit it to cool it when there's not enough airflow. I'll try to throw some pictures up next chance I get.

Back