'01 Sport - theft system but no alarm? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 Sport - theft system but no alarm?

john98225

Reaction score
City, State
northern Washington state
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 & '96 Sports
I just picked up a 2001 Sport which has the OEM "theft" light on the cluster that blinks all the time the ignition is off. Unlike my '96 Sport, I can't make an alarm trigger (successive horn honks) on this one by pushing an interior unlock switch after getting out, pressing a lock button and then shutting the door. It's as though there is no true "alarm" for somone breaking into the rig - just a system that won't allow it to be started without a programmed key.

My questions then ... do all '01 Explorers that have the anti-theft system actually have an alarm (that makes the horn honk)? And if so, how you you get this to work when it doesn't?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it's a dealer installed option, you can get one from code alarm (old stock) and install it, or get a universal type factory keyless add on alarm so you can still use your fob, the lock is connected to the arm, the unlock to the disarm

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the info!

welcome

My questions then ... do all '01 Explorers that have the anti-theft system actually have an alarm (that makes the horn honk)? And if so, how you you get this to work when it doesn't?

Yes, they do. Lower the driver's side window. Put the key in the ignition, turn it on, then back off. Open the driver's door, exit the vehicle, then hit the lock button on the door. The THEFT light should light steady. Close the door. The THEFT light will remain steady on. When the THEFT light goes out/starts to blink (IIRC, it's 2-3 minutes later) reach through the window and pull the door handle. The horn should start honking. Insert the key and turn the ignition on or hit the remote key fob button to deactivate it.

-Joe

Sorry, Joe ... it didn't work.

Thanks for the info, Joe. That sequence was what I had tried before and it will not get the horn to honk.

On my '96, the theft light comes on steady (like you described) when you hit a lock button on your way out, but on this '01, it doesn't. The light just slow-blinks, and no alarm is triggered when you reach in and open the door.

I talked to a Ford service department rep today and asked if there was an add-on they could install to make the alarm functional. He said they didn't have one.

Also, the Owner's Manual doesn't say anything about a horn-honking alarm system, it only describes the need for a key with the chip, etc. Evidently this rig just doesn't have the same system as my '96. (Guess I'm looking at having an after-market alarm put on if I want to have one bad enough.)

Thanks for the info, Joe. That sequence was what I had tried before and it will not get the horn to honk.

On my '96, the theft light comes on steady (like you described) when you hit a lock button on your way out, but on this '01, it doesn't. The light just slow-blinks, and no alarm is triggered when you reach in and open the door.

I talked to a Ford service department rep today and asked if there was an add-on they could install to make the alarm functional. He said they didn't have one.

Also, the Owner's Manual doesn't say anything about a horn-honking alarm system, it only describes the need for a key with the chip, etc. Evidently this rig just doesn't have the same system as my '96. (Guess I'm looking at having an after-market alarm put on if I want to have one bad enough.)

Lemme see what I can dig up at work later this morning... Doesn't sound right to me... But I know the '01 -'02 Sports were kinda funky things...

What's the build date? (It's on the door sticker)

-Joe

Build date ...

Joe - the date is 04/00

Thanks again for your help!

Interesting... it does, in fact, appear that the stealership got one right (for once!!). The '01 Sport makes no mention of the 'alarm' feature in either the owner's manual or the service manuals. It appears they deleted that feature somewhere between '98 and '02 (My 98 has it).

Can't be much more help with it... sorry.

-Joe

Thanks anyway, I really appreciate this forum already.

Actually, I have another problem with the unlocking of the tailgate. I'll search for prior threads and if I can't find an answer, I'll start a new one.

Back