How's the Sport in winter weather? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How's the Sport in winter weather?

Brandon M

Reaction score
City, State
Phila
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
Hey guys just looking for anybody who has experience with the sport in snowy conditions. I have had my 2014 sport for about a month now and love it! With the winter months approaching I'd like to get some feedback on how the sport is? Coming from a jeep wrangler rubicon I knew from experience no snow was deep enough to stop me. Any input is greatly appreciated Thankyou!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based off input from others I purchased a set of rims and tires (blizzaks).
$T2eC16Z,!)YFIb5UtpL5BSbsmLodbQ~~60_57.jpg

Hey guys just looking for anybody who has experience with the sport in snowy conditions. I have had my 2014 sport for about a month now and love it! With the winter months approaching I'd like to get some feedback on how the sport is? Coming from a jeep wrangler rubicon I knew from experience no snow was deep enough to stop me. Any input is greatly appreciated Thankyou!
For the Sport, if you're looking at buying wheels, don't go smaller than 18" because of the larger brakes on the Sport.
I replace my 20" wheels on my Limited with 17" wheels for Winter and haven't had any issues.

Peter

1/4 those are nice. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for that set?
Also for those who know about fords tire price match guarantee, will they actually match internet prices as well or just other local tire shops?
I never asked them about Internet prices but they don't price match Costco.

Peter

I am also curious about tire choices for snow driving and how the Sport likes or dislikes different tires... also what others have put on them ....

I really like those above rims posted, they look very close to the sport wheels!

And blizzaks are awesome, had a set on my 2wd HD truck and I was going through places 4x4's on all seasons were getting stuck!!!

thanks, got everything for 900..they are O.Z. Adrenaline rims. I was going to order 14 eb interceptor rims nut got lucky.

thanks, got everything for 900..they are O.Z. Adrenaline rims. I was going to order 14 eb interceptor rims nut got lucky.

Where, please share.

Brian

We just got our first snow here yesterday... the wife said our 14' Explorer Sport handled great in the snow, but she still wants to get winter tires. Going shopping for some in the next few weeks, we will probably just get standard steel rims from Costco with the tires

They were low mileage takeoffs. Being in the right place at the right time for once.

They were low mileage takeoffs. Being in the right place at the right time for once.

Boy you where in the right place at the right time, lucky boy!;)

Brian

Now it needs to be de-tuned for winter...

detuned? that's called relax your right foot lol

Are folks putting TPMS on there winter tires and rims? In Canada that adds $300 to the bill

Are folks putting TPMS on there winter tires and rims? In Canada that adds $300 to the bill

I put TPMS on mine. I purchased a set of OEM sensors off eBay for about $70. They work fine.

What about the duct work hanging under for the Tow Package optioned Sports vehicles, hanging below the bottom behind the bumper on the left side of the vehicle. I am guessing snow can get impacted into the duct, how and will this affect the vehicle has this been the norm for the new body style Explorer Sports. And yes I know some will say keep out of the deep snow, it's an Explorer and should be driven in winter and should handle well.

geezerglide

Back