Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread

Just to clarify the info provided by Lewisra, the warranty extension is on the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module). The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system. Failure of the APIM will render the MyFord Touch system inoperative. This warranty extension is referred to as Customer Satisfaction Program 12M02.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

62921. It does have the My Ford Touch System. So that coverage for 5 years covers all components that the MFT works with? If the system stopped controlling the AC or the touch buttons below the screen stopped; items like that?

Having just purchased the ESP for $2395 with the cost financed into the vehicle, if I cancel the policy that balance will just go to the lender; can anyone verify/clarify that for me?

It almost sounds as if I don't need that ESP right now...so aggravated. This is what I get for buying a used vehicle on a Monday night lol.

ouch, I can get you a 6yr, 125k warranty for about $1,800. Premium, $100 deductible with 1st day rental

Yeah I have realized that I got taken on this deal. I am in the works to hopefully rewrite the deal today.

blwnsmoke, is the price you quoted for a new or used vehicle? BMETFerg's vehicle would be considered 'used' and the costs for ESP are usually higher for them.

Peter

I have the 2015 with about 1200 miles on it... What is recommended for extended warranties at this time? Prices? Coverage?

I have the 2015 with about 1200 miles on it... What is recommended for extended warranties at this time? Prices? Coverage?

Just got a quote today for 2014 Explorer sport

"The quote on that plan would be $1545.# That is assuming the unit has more than 12000 miles on it.# If less than it would be $100 less.# If you live outside the state of TN then there would be no sales tax charged."

#
Joel Hawley

jhawley@tworiversford.com

Hope this helps you!!

To purchase an ESP or not really comes down to a personal choice. Not everyone buys them. There are several factors to take into consideration such as the length of time you plan to keep the vehicle, vehicle reliability, would any future repair cost more than the warranty itself, your ability to pay for any future repairs. One thing to keep in mind is that the ESP you buy, begins on the date the vehicle was first put into service. So for example, if you purchase a 48 month ESP, it will only cover you for 12 months beyond the factory warranty assuming you haven't exceeded the mileage. I have bought extended warranties for 4 vehicles (3 Highlanders, 1 Explorer) and only had to use the warranty once to replace a tire. Looking back, I would have been at least $4000 ahead now by not buying them. I consider it somewhat like an insurance policy just in case something really bad goes wrong. Would I buy one again, hard to say, but probably. Also, not all offer 1st day rental coverage.
I think the info regarding prices and coverage you seek is all in this thread in previous posts. Good luck.

Peter

Isn't the decision more around whether or not you keep your vehicles outside the 3 year Bumper to Bumper coverage period?

I refresh my vehicles within that period so I never purchase ESP.

Keeping your vehicle past 3 years would make you vulnerable to a big hit if something electronic fails. Some of the cheap pricing members here are getting for ESP is almost equivalent to one or two major repairs outside the warranty period.

If I kept my vehicles I would buy ESP for sure.

Having OCD doesnt allow me to have a vehicle past the 3 years, I blame the Apple Koolaid I have to drink every time Apple releases a new product regardless if it has bugs or not. LOL!

"The quote on that plan would be $1545.# That is assuming the unit has more than 12000 miles on it.# If less than it would be $100 less.# If you live outside the state of TN then there would be no sales tax charged."

#
Joel Hawley

Hope this helps you!!

Joel is who I have used for 7 years and who I refer people to. $100 over cost.

blwnsmoke, is the price you quoted for a new or used vehicle? BMETFerg's vehicle would be considered 'used' and the costs for ESP are usually higher for them.

Peter

Peter, being that it is CPO and back under a bumper to bumper warranry, I am pretty sure he gets the new car ESP pricing.

#
Joel Hawley

Hope this helps you!!

In order to know whether thats good or not, you need to state the terms of the waranty. How many years, miles, deductable, and whether or not rental is included. If you just search online, you can get some good quotes with minimal work, and so long as its a real ford warranty and for premium care (not a lesser coverage) I dont think it matters who you buy it from. My 7/75 with a $50 deductible with rental was around $1300. Since I tend to keep cars for a while, its decent peace of mind. Also, I'm pretty confident the warranty is transferrable, so that can be a good selling point for a private sale when you're ready to sell.

Just purchased a ESP from Joel Hawley. Thanks to blwnsmoke for posting his contact information. None of my local area dealers could come close to Joel's pricing. $1545 for 7yr, 100K miles. Joel is definitely recommended.

Extended Service Plan Thoughts

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would anyone purchase an Extended Service Plan (ESP) on day one (date of vehicle delivery), especially in light of most all defects being covered under the factory 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage.

Possibly, one might consider based upon his or her experience with vehicle operation and a dealer's service track record, whether to purchase an ESP sometime during the initial 3 year warranty period, nonetheless, for any ESP purchased, the period starts with the 'in service' date (date vehicle first enters service/0.0 mileage) and expires upon the length of coverage chosen upon plan purchase.

Therefore, it seems you are actually paying for the 3 year period the vehicle is 'already' under an original 3 year factory warranty, else the ESP start date would be listed as commencing upon expiration of the 3 year/36,000 mile coverage!!

A 'preventative' maintenance plan is another matter and could be of some benefit to a customer.

Caveat Emptor

:feedback:

1) Cost goes up once you hit 1yr/12k

2) Some like to finance it into their loan.

3)You get a rental car every time you bring your vehicle in.

Welcome to the Forum FloridaToolman.:wavey:
I leased a 2011 Ex LTD for a 48 month term. I took out the ESP at time of delivery for a 48 month period. With the added benefits of doing so as blwnsmoke posted, it actually only offered 1 additional year of warranty because as you mentioned, it goes back to the original 'in service' date. Being it was the first year of the 5th gen production and with all the electronic onboard, I didn't want to take any chances.

Peter

Im under my factory warranty still, 29k miles, and my dealership is trying to charge me $3500 for the 7 year/125k plan. That sounds entirely too high.

Im under my factory warranty still, 29k miles, and my dealership is trying to charge me $3500 for the 7 year/125k plan. That sounds entirely too high.

Just a quick look online and that is about $1000/$1200 over what you can get it online for.

See post 144.

It is very rare nowadays for a new vehicle to have $1500 in out of pocket repairs done within the first 100K miles. Most get lucky and not have to pay anything, but if you buy a warranty, you are for sure out the $1500+ even if you do not use it. Just something to think about. I've never extended my warranty... Maybe I've gotten lucky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back