• Register Today It's free!

Body lift on 1997 Ford Explorer

willys5555

Reaction score
City, State
Spring TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L 4dr 2wd. I want to put a 3" body lift on it. I have found the lift but for them to install it it costs an extra $700. Is it extreme or do I just not know about this? I do believe it is pretty easy to do. How long would it take for 2 men to put it on? What modifications would we have to do? and does everything come included in the kits? Please if anyone has done this befor to this year or a similar year please let me know. I need help. All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

p.s. is it cheaper or better to put a suspension lift on it? If so does anyone know where one is? I havent been able to find one. And i have also heard that the Explorer and the Ranger are the same when it comes to suspensions. Is this true? If so do they go year by year (like is a 1997 Explorer the same as a 1997 Ranger?)

Please help.

Also pictures are great. I would love to see pics of a 1997 explorer lifted or any other modifications that are good to do to Explorers. I want to customize mine.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to get a Performance Accessories body lift #853 for the Ranger plus have bumper brackets fabricated. There are drawings/templates on the bumper brackets here on the forum, just search for bumper brackets.

Body lift will be cheaper, $250 max for a body lift, suspension lift like a 4" superlift/trailmaster or a 5" RCD lift will run you atleast $1200. The Rangers are not the same.. I believe they went to a torsion bar setup in 98 compared to the Explorer in 95 and the ranger is spring over axle where the Explorer is sprung under.

there are tons of 96', 97', etc explorer pics that are lifted on these forums just search around, search using keywords "before" and "after"...but since im a ***** heres mine :D
Picture001.jpg

there are tons of 96', 97', etc explorer pics that are lifted on these forums just search around, search using keywords "before" and "after"...but since im a ***** heres mine :D
Picture001.jpg

Explor*****. LOL! :D

This forum is for stock Explorer questions ONLY
I have moved your thread to the Modified forum.

the body lift takes about a day if you know what you are doing and have a computer running explorerforum.com right next to the truck. The only thing i had to "fabricate" was to grind down a little bit of the steering extension so it would fit...Some people sound like they fabbed their whole truck.

Back