M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

friday night

lol
Stay out of trouble now!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sooo ran a turbo Lexus IS300 (pretty sure that what he said)...start by saying its 47* here...so we decided to do a rolling start and I gave him two cars.we was messing around before we actually raced and it was fast but side by side I was pulling HARD...

We took off and I was in 2nd gear and right at about 3,000 rpms, in boost and my sweet spot..by the end of 2nd I closed one car, by end of 3rd I was a fender ahead and he let off, then turned quickly. ..:dunno::nono:

Engine water was at 183..before charger was 57* and after charger was 73* WOT...A/f was right around 13.5 average and at redline was 12.9..boost peaked at 8 lbs but think thats a little false because of lower intake and valve restriction (I average 4-6lbs playing around).cutouts were closed..taking pictures and videos wasn't on my mind for sure...

Looking in the rear view to see that Lexus. lol.

Looking in the rear view to see that Lexus. lol.

He was fast, he said motor was all stock, just turbo and ic..he should have been alot faster but I was just killn him being right in my sweet spot and it wasnt like a real long race, just 2 thro 3...I think if he would have chossen to start at a different rpm or speed he could have been much faster..but honestly those cars aint that fast to begine with, think stock they are like 220ish..I would guess im right around that but the tq and gears just kills it on the street..:D

Ps my pistons are done today but I had to tell them to hold shipment till next Tuesday for final payment, I owe them $420.32:eek:

So got my crank pulley back from ASP today..mann it looks huge!! I measured like 50 times so it should fit...I went with a 8 rib with the extra ribs being one per side..meaning the old 6 rib got one extra rib per side, this was the way my SC pulley lined up.all the rest of the pulleys came from a 98 f150 lightning. .only one im seeing could be an issue is the alternator, I have a couple ideas on how to move it an 1/8" back..

final measurement was 7.25", stock is 6".this will give me my boost I want without going to a smaller supercharger pulley and getting belt slip..finial price was $250..I know a couple people on here has been talking about this option so just wanted to show it ;)

Just for reference the smaller circle and holes was the 6" pulley..o and you dont have to go to 8rib

20141024_162918_zpsrviw4oaw.jpg

20141024_162906_zpskdcjuzgg.jpg

i called them last week about making one. they told me around 175 for a 8 ribbed pulley for the stroker. i would they also said i would have to send them a old pulley so they can use the tone ring, and pin it to the new one. i thought that was pretty reasonable.

pulley

That is awesome!
looks like they did a perfect job. This opens up a lot of new possibilities!

i called them last week about making one. they told me around 175 for a 8 ribbed pulley for the stroker. i would they also said i would have to send them a old pulley so they can use the tone ring, and pin it to the new one. i thought that was pretty reasonable.

Yea thats a good price.I bet they have the main parts already being a more common pulley..what are you going to do for the PS pump? Do you have the 3 bolt type pulley? Thats the one my buddy cant figure what to do.

yea, 3 bolt. for now, just going to worry about the balancer. besides, if i dont have that, no need to worry about anything else, right?

yea, 3 bolt. for now, just going to worry about the balancer. besides, if i dont have that, no need to worry about anything else, right?

Yep..just the benefit of going bigger and not smaller on charger is well worth it...belt slip is sometimes a silent killer :)

My pistons are in and mannnn do they look good..HUGE comparison from stock to the new JE asymmetrical design. .motor will be hopefully at the machine shop next week...just in time for my BIRTHDAY 11/11 ...;)

20141031_163751_zpsxuzbt5gr.jpg

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

20141031_163858_zpswmnlfhxl.jpg

Main thrust side
20141031_163503_zpsih58upye.jpg

Non thrust side...
20141031_163434_zpshzbrr0jg.jpg

You can really see the asymmetrical design here..
20141031_163548_zpsqys4jrai.jpg

And gonna throw the comparison of rods and valves here also so its all in one post..

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

you have a scale to compare weight new/old piston? Those new valves look massive compared to stockers.

you have a scale to compare weight new/old piston? Those new valves look massive compared to stockers.

Yes..I scaled the old ones today with rings and pin.it weighed 1.550 pounds..I have not scaled the new ones yet but I would say they will be just slightly less.the new piston is very thick in some spots and is a larger piston. The pictures make the stock one seem much larger overall than what it really is..I would almost bet the weight savings will come from the pin and not much from piston..the new pin is much smaller OD and shorter..ill post as soon as I have a chance to get to my shop..

I do know the new rods are 0.125 pounds heavier. .or 57 grams..

I just looked and the weight is on all the new items..the new piston with pin and rings weighs 1.155 pounds or 524 grams...old was 1.550 pounds or 703 grams..so new piston setup is 179 grams LIGHTER ;)

That's a pretty big difference.
Im excited to see all the pieces are there. This is going to be a great learning experience for all of us.
your pretty much venturing in to an area that if people go, they don't talk about it.

Parts

You have some very nice parts there!
This engine is going to be bad A**!

Well not much updates and probably wont be for awile sadly. ...couple things have changed..starters me and my girl have decided to rent a new beach house..YEPPPP there goes all my truck money!!!:( so things are gonna dramatically slow down..im holding off on taking the motor to the machine shop till I have all the parts for the trans and its rebuilt by ASTRO..dont want the fresh motor sitting around waiting on the trans..

Also speaking of the trans...I have burnt the clutch almost TOTALLY up and the synchronizers in 2nd are going out..i plan to drop the trans and replace the synchronizers and clutch very soon..after that ill be installing my rail mount feul pressure regulator, step colder plugs and smaller pulley..plan to turn fuel psi up and run 10 lbs for time being, may also pull the timing shorting bar...still going to run 19 lbs and stock maf, we will see if I can adjust it enough to run safe.may have to leave or adjust the boost bypass to stay open some..ill keep y'all update on this..;-)

Big changes coming for you. Congratulations.

I hear you on the money needing to go to on other things, that's for sure.
Um, please don't let this project die. Your so close.

Big changes coming for you. Congratulations.

I hear you on the money needing to go to on other things, that's for sure.
Um, please don't let this project die. Your so close.

Ooo no way no how will it die..just gonna take longer to afford the trans and machine cost..motor wise ive got all the parts needed, just needs machining which is gonna be im sure a grand or so..clutch and flywheel is close to $800 and trans is around $1,400.....so its not like a small chunk of change to finish:( I plan to have it done, broke in and dynoed/tuned for spring nationals ;)

Till then 10 lbs should keep me ahead of alot of vehicles around here and only gonna make me want more:D

Back