1999 Ranger SAS (Dana 44/Ford 9 Inch) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ranger SAS (Dana 44/Ford 9 Inch)

well here is what i started with:
put 32s on it and wheeled it too hard for the stock **** to take, needless to say, i broke a bunch of ****
2008-11-11_0503.jpg
DSC_0556.jpg

when the decision was made to do the sas i picked up a 1979 bronco as a donor:
2009-03-01_0749.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i started off the project by taking the bronco apart and keeping what parts i needed and selling what i could.
4.jpg

i kept the axles and suspension stuff

chop chop time!!!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

first order of business on the build was to plate the frame. as you can see i have good plates up front, but i now regret what i did in the back. i put plates on the inside of the frame in the rear when i should have just boxed it. so basically the plates on the inside of the frame were a good idea, but i should have boxed the frame around that for more strength.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

just a little fyi, the only welds i didnt do on this truck are the front frame plates, the rest i did myself after learning to weld when a friend gave me a 10min crash course. it is obvious where i started welding and what i welded recently because i am getting better everyday, and when i first started was on the rear frame plates so they basically look like ****! but its all good!

after the frame plates were done it was time for some rear crossmembers. i put a huge hunk of steel in the rear (not sure exactly what cause i found it in the scrap pile) and used 1.5in .120 wall tube for the rest.

strap holding frame at the correct width:
1.jpg

2 crossmembers:
2.jpg

a few more of the rear:
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

i also put small plates on the outside of the frame where the mid crossmember is to give me a little more metal to weld to:

and when i was done it looked like this:

Might wanna move this to the offroad projects forum. This is for finished SAS projects;)

it is finished, im just showing how i did it. havent got that far though seeing as uploading images takes forever and i dont really like sitting at my computer for that long... so ill get there soon dont worry

next on the list i mounted my front axle. just used the stock spring buckets and shock mounts from the bronco and the springs are a 4" rough country lift springs, and i used the stock bronco track bar and steering
also up front is a FJ 60 steering box connected using 3/4 DD X 3/4 DD u-joint off the firewall into a DD shaft, then into a 3/4 DD X 11/16-36 spline to fit onto the steering box.
there is also a new power steering pump with new custom lines to fit onto the FJ box.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Rear end:
used 4 front leaf spring hangers to mount the leafs, then got a new yoke and u-joint to hook up my stock driveshaft and set the pinion angle, then mounted the shocks, mounted removable mud flaps, then i put the bed on, chopped it a bit and put on some cheap spray on bedliner, then i mounted a temporary bumper and had a hole torched in it for a hitch cause what good is a truck that cant tow? and lastly i mounted my licence plate with bolts with leds in them to light up the plate
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

i also did random things like put in a 10 inch sub and mount the cb antenna on the toolbox

ranger-9-1.jpg

ranger-7-1.jpg

now my truck is sittn pretty, well actually it has a bit of a drivers side lean, but whatever, no worries ill tweak that sometime in the near future. and it pretty much looks like a billboard but it already looks ridiculous, why not make it a little more!
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg

Hey man your truck looks great how dose that bronco box work for ya. I need to try one on my wifes Montero but I've been to buisy with my Volksrod project to even think abought a 4wd.

Hey there,

I have been a fan of this build for a while. I have been wanting to do an sas for a while, and have recently decided to start planning, I have a few questions.

First, did you have to change your spring perches on your axles?

And are the spring mounts(on the frame) fabbed up or the stock ones?

I am just debating if I need to make new hangers for the front and rear or not.

Thanks.

Ranger SAS Help

I love this truck and how he did everything. I dont know if I will get a response from him but does anyone know if he had to make and reset his mounts on his 9 inch axle for the springs. I am wondering if using those hangers gives him the right width or not.

I love this truck and how he did everything. I dont know if I will get a response from him but does anyone know if he had to make and reset his mounts on his 9 inch axle for the springs. I am wondering if using those hangers gives him the right width or not.

wow that was a long time ago i pretty much forgot about this. i had to cut the old perches off the 9 inch then weld new ones on.

thanks for liking it! I like it too, and its not bad for being a learning experience for me. now there are lots of things i would have done differently. i learned how to weld on this truck and amazingly non of my first welds have broken (they are still there).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back