1997 4.0L Aerostar. Spark plug and ignition coil R & R. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 4.0L Aerostar. Spark plug and ignition coil R & R.

minimech77

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Aerostar 4.0
Greetings! I am new to the forum, but am encouraged by the appearance of friendly help.

I am not a mechanic, but do some basic maintenance to save money.

My Aerostar is running roughly, and according to Advance Auto's code reader, cylinders 3, 5, and 6 are misfiring. My plan is to remove and replace the plugs, wires and ignition coil. I would much appreciate any tips for accessing these items, especially those "rear" plugs.

Other posts and on-line research have indicated the firing order as: 1-4-2-5-3-6, with cylinder locations as: (from the front of the vehicle) driver's side: 4, 5, 6; passenger side: 1, 2, 3. the connections on the ignition coil have been indicated to be: (from the front of the vehicle) driver's side: 5, 6, 4; passenger side: 1, 2, 3. (Unfortunately, I have yet to find this information all in one place, so hopefully this may help others in the future.)

Again, I would much appreciate any tips and suggestions along with verification of the above information. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I will check the MAF sensor. However, I will still plan to replace the plugs and wires. My van has 135,000 plus miles and apparently the original wires.

Any tips for reaching those two plugs (5, 6) on the driver's side?

the rear plugs can be reached from the front of the van, that's how I replaced mine, but if you prefer, do as BrooklynBay said and loosen them from the interior, it's no big deal. then you can use a long socket to unscrew them and remove them through the front.

The misfiring Code you are experiencing could be that the 4.0 liter engine is known to require a fix to the intake manifold gasket and o-rings. I recently did mine and it cured the rough running. you need a Ford-revised intake manifold gasket and new o-rings, which requires removal of the top intake manifold, not a very difficult job but not exactly easy either.

If the new plugs and wires do not resolve the issue, it's probably the intake manifold gasket which has burned off.

Back