4.0 sohc gasket set and inspection | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 sohc gasket set and inspection

red_ranger6212

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford ranger xlt 4.0
Hey i have a 2002 ford ranger xlt with the 4.0 sohc . It has approximately 180000 miles I have not had the truck long about 6 months. I immediately replaced the starter being informed the current was slowly going bad. Later i put a new battery, alternator, and plugs. I am planing to purchas a full gasket set. I am going to remove the engine to get to know the truck a bit better, give it a solid cleaning and cheak everything out. I belive i am dealing with a bad head gasket or craked head. I also need to replace the rear main seal as well and a few others getting bad. I am looking for ideas or adivse that can help me get the most out of my labor and money. Anyone with knowlage and does not mind taking the time to help incress my own please do. Any special tips or tricks on removing, cleaning, and replacing the gaskets and engine. If you have knowlage on any special tool's required, helpfull links and ways i can attempt to keep clost low. My knowlage is somewhere at the lower intermediate level. swaping the 22re out of my 88 pickup as well as a Warped head. This is my first ford and will be kept for some time. Any help would be appreciated.

confirm the problem

I suggest that you confirm you have a bad head gasket or cracked head before removing the engine. The SOHC V6 is fairly expensive to rebuild. The head bolts are TTY and should be replaced when replacing the head gaskets. The camshafts must be retimed after removing/installing a head. That normally requires the OTC-6488 timing tool kit. If your camshaft timing chain components are original they are getting prime to fail at 180K miles. The SOHC V6 is not a simple engine to work on. It is an interference engine and if not assembled correctly the pistons may strike the valves. I advise you to learn about the engine before removing it and taking it apart. Make a list of the cost of components and the tools required. It will easily total more than $500 if you purchase quality parts.
A rear main seal can be replaced by removing the transmission instead of the engine but its awkward to work under the vehicle if you don't have access to a lift.
Click on my Helpful threads in my signature to learn more about your engine.

Thank you for replying. I have spent most of my spare time learning the engine the past week or so. Time is not a huge factor as i have another vehical. I have done what i feel like was exctensive reading for my sohc 4.0. I read the right side head was a huge hassle to remove with the engine which ended in the conclusion of completly removing. I am already planning on replacing timing chain with better less noisy setup. With my rear main in need of replacing, along with a few other problems. removing the engine and dissasembaling would allow me to extensively clean and inspect all parts. Purchases would be made after i have a full picture of what can be saved or replaced. I would like to reduce the likelihood of another issue anyyime soon. I am also treating this as a learning experience. Any thoughts on this course of action? Am i crazy? What can i do to simplify this task as much as possible? I have a parts list started as well as any tools i need for the job. I also started work on a system to organize the various parts.

replacing timing chain related components

I agree that if you plan to replace the cassettes and the primary chain tensioner and the rear main seal you should pull the engine. However, regarding the head problem I suggest that you perform a compression test on all cylinders before pulling the engine so you have a better idea of what to look for. The compression should be about 180 psi on a warm engine with the throttle plate wide open.

Do you have the OTC-6488 timing tool kit? Most discount auto parts stores do not have them to rent. You can usually find a used one on eBay for around $150.

If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the engine assembly instructions.

Back