My Bronco2 Build (my junk)

gavin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
Figured I might as well start a build thread here.. Although the build has been in retirement.
Moving, lack of funds due to buying a place, etc etc etc.
Although I'm finally starting to get a bit more motivation to work on it. My parents want it out of their place, or at least moved, since it's a bit of an e ye-sore and makes it a bit difficult for them to snowblow the driveway.

Anywho, this is how it started out, sans the brush guard.
Paid $700 for it because it wouldn't run. Turned out it was just a cracked valve. Got it running, but had to do some work with wiring for the fuel pump, but that came farther down the road. Ended up hard-wiring a switch to turn the fuel pump on and off since it didn't like to keep itself running :p:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I then found a nice set of Dayton Timberline 31x10.5x15's at the junkyard. Went to SixRobbLees and picked up 4 whitespoke steelies.
Also trimmed the front fenders.

new2.jpg

Tried trimming the rear, but can see that was a failure :p:

new4.jpg

When the poor 2.9 started to get tired, had trouble getting up to 65mph on the highway even in 4th gear, along with a 3rd gear that would pop out and various other transmission issues, I found the Explorer.
About a year after getting the Explorer, the surgery started.

PDRM0075.jpg

PDRM0079.jpg

PDRM0080.jpg

PDRM0086.jpg

PDRM0083.jpg

PDRM0088.jpg

PDRM0089.jpg

So I tried to use a James Duff transmission x-member. Can't remember where I got it, but was relatively cheap. Turned out that this wasn't going to work, though. More on that later.

PDRM0098.jpg

F250 shock mounts installed. Or, 1 bolt at least.

PDRM0112.jpg

PDRM0113.jpg

Cut EB coil buckets, I believe, compared to OEM. Although I did not use these.

PDRM0120.jpg

Unfortunately, I received a set of the wrong radius arm mounts. Although not an issue now.

PDRM0125.jpg

OEM vs dropped pitman arm

PDRM0122.jpg

PDRM0121.jpg

Coils installed

PDRM0135.jpg

Sitting on all 4

PDRM0276.jpg

PDRM0277.jpg

This is where she has set for several years.

I recently came across a for sale thread for a custom radius arm mount/x-member, and it also happend to include a trac-bar and trac-bar bracket. Thanks Turdle!

P1010472.JPG

P10104711.JPG

But now, I could use some hints/tips/secrets to get these 2 holes drilled:

P1010473.JPG

Very difficult from the front, I would need to remove the steering box. Even then, I would have a difficult time getting the holes drilled in the correct place due to the shape of that x-member.

From the rear, can't get a straight-shot due to the x-member.

Maybe a small pilot hole with my right-angle drill, then a uni-bit/step-bit to open it up to 1/2"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More.....

Looks fun, I have been wanting to build one of these for a few years now.....

What kind of engine you gonna put in this beast?

not sure yet. That's a ways down the road. Unless I get some free funding :D
but most likely a 5.0 is in it's future.

Looks fun, I have been wanting to build one of these for a few years now.....

it is fun, certainly. Unfortunately it is quite the money pit.
I ended up spending around $600 total for both the D44 and 9", both from an EB.

Plasma torch for the bolt holes :D

if only I had one, or access to one :(

so I managed to get those 2 holes drilled.
used my cordless right-angle drill with a small bit to get the pilot hole, then switched to me step-bit to enlarge it as much as I could, then I managed to find a 1/2" bit with 3/8" shank, and got 'er done. Bolts in.

Also managed to get the beast started!
Truck has been sitting since prior to November 2002. I remember starting it up once a couple years ago, can't remember when. Had to hook up jumper cables though, battery is/was toast. She fired right up, though. Pretty loud too, considering the exhaust fell apart.

But having a bit of an, apparently, wiring issue.
Truck will not run on it's own off the alternator. Same issue I had last time I started it.
Soon as I disconnect a jump cable it dies.

New issue today though. Fuel pumps aren't coming on. I hear the relay clicking. If I run a jumper wire to the inline pump on the frame rail, it'll start and run.

Considering the truck has been sitting for ~9 years, has only been started one other time in those 9 years, I'm surprised that it fired right up. Same 9yr old gas, too. Considering, it runs and sounds decent.

Also found that the power steering pump was pretty much empty. Filled it up a bit, and steering is working good.

Hoping to get it to my place before the end of the month, or at least before it snows.

It was sitting in some good ruts, too. Got it moved forward and didn't realize how high it sits! The bumper is probably pretty close to the middle of the grill on my Explorer.

Wow, 3 years since my last post.
Yeah, not much has gotten done.
I determined the inertia switch has been the issue to my fuel pump issues this whole time. Not sure if I'm going to find a replacement (OEM-style replacement is near impossible) or just ignore the need.

Accumulated enough Amazon points on my credit card to get these. Skyjacker FR36S 6" lift packs.
20141127_114009.jpg

Got them installed on Friday. Looks like it might actually sit level. Hard to tell with OEM size on the rear and 35's on the front.

Before/After
20141128_141243.jpg

20141128_164156.jpg

Looks like 35's should fit!
20141128_164206.jpg

Worn out and old vs new
20141128_145900.jpg

Also got some new leaf perches and plates for the 9" rear I have, so hopefully I'll be able to get that under there before too long.
Just need to go pick up some u-bolts.

Also going to need to find some 2" square tube for the transmission mount. The x-member I got from Turdle also acts as the transmission mount, and sits way too low for the Bronco2 (it was on his Explorer?) Currently rigged up some 2" angle to make a C-shape as it's temporary. It sits at pretty much the right height.

Back