LED Light Bar and where to mount? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Light Bar and where to mount?

I'm in a pickle here - planning to get a light bar for my X and not sure of the best place to mount it. Should it go on the grill guard or on the luggage rack? My thinking is higher means more visibility?

I'm also planning on getting 2 small lights and mounting somewhere on the back for aux reverse lights. If I can make it work, I was going to put them on the underside of the crossbar of the luggage rack.

Thoughts, suggestions, and ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Google "led light bar glare", or similar terms, for issues with roof mounting...

I can say for back, county road high speed travel at night, I am pleased with mine mounted lower than the headlights in the bumper. it's only a 17" but that works in my favor, as I used the factory fog light wiring. The 10 Amp draw is well below the rating of both the relay and the fuse protecting the circuit.

Of course I try to turn it off at the first sign of any oncoming traffic which is rare on the above described road.

But t is almost like a portable sun.

I do like the look of a larger light bar mounted to a roof rack, and would like to have one, however, in the real world, 100w of led light on a 17" light bar is quite a lot. You will be amazed. From my own experience I would mount the first one low.

I have a thread here with example pictures

www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389294

From my experience you'll want it somewhere around the grille area. The higher up the light is the less shadows it'll cast, but aiming a roof mounted led bar is a pain because they put light out in ALL directions and usually causes pretty bad glare on the hood.
Here's a video of a 32" LED bar mounted in the lower air dam on my Trac. It does a good job for being mounted so low.

I have done both of these recently to my X. I need to figure out photobucket for the new phone and I'll show ya what I did... maybe it'll help ya make up your mind.

EDIT: Photobuckt staff has confirmed im not losing my mind, but their app is junk. I'll load these from the work computer because its more interesting than IDK...... working

20160213_125617_zps4nmmjfb2.jpg

From the top showing hire far back it sits
20160213_125623_zpsjzx8pwcc.jpg

Top mounted back up lights
20160213_125644_zpsidvncee6.jpg

Bottom mounted back ups (more flood light than spot light)
20160213_125654_zpszqwkkerh.jpg

and just because, the start of my switches.... these are wired in and working, but I didnt have the last one until yesterdays mail.
20160213_125707_zpsd72dyk8g.jpg

I'll get a little video or something showing how it works from down there tonight if I get out of here soon enough.

Thanks everyone!

I bought the smaller one with the plan of putting on the brush guard. Between reading here and talking to a buddy, mounting upfront seems to be the way to go.

I like the lights up high in the back. I want to put mine up like that as well. Thank you for the pics SPSully!

My buddy has a LED light bar on his grille guard, and it looks ok and doesn't vibrate according to him.

I actually got a video.... hold on and I'll load it up

Are you sure your lights are LED and not laser? Shooting down aircraft with a laser is illegal, you know.

Back