• Register Today It's free!

stuck in 4 low

1Chavez

Reaction score
City, State
LI, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 '02 '03 all XLT
I've got the day off so now my friends '98 6cyl 4x4 xlt is sitting in my driveway and he has my '92. His is here because it will not shift out of 4 wheel low. From what I understand, it was on sand with a gen/welder in the back so he opted for 4 low. upon getting back on hard surface, switched back to auto, did ~15' in reverse, went forward and was still in 4 low. Now the 4wd lights flash occasionally as does the o/d light. Switching the 4x4 selector does not seem to do anything. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off ensure he is in N when you hit the low range button.

If you have already done that and its still stuck in 4 low, try tapping on the transfer case shift motor with a hammer, then try again.

If that doesnt work you can REMOVE the shift motor from the T case and shift it manually. Again make sure it is in N when you do this.

You can also search for this on these fourms, this happens all the time....

you are putting it in neutral with your foot on the break to try to get it outta 4low right?

if you are doing that tap on the shift motor while someone is trying to swithch it outta 4low

EDIT: damn 410 beat me to it :D

It's in N and foot on brake. I'm searching "low 4x4" now (page 10 currently, I'll be back at page 20). It is looking like it might be time to drop the shift motor and just move it manually. Thanks for the replies and I am open to any more ideas.
-Rich

Resetting the computer (disconnecting the battery ~15 min) solved it. I guess the sensors are on their way out, but that's another project. Thanks for your replies and it's a great site.
-Rich

Glad I found this site. My 2002 Ford Ranger 4X4 Off Road got stuck in low 4X4. I was able to find a mechanic who removed the 4X4 motor and shifted it manually to get it out of the 4X4 mode. Now, I'm affraid to try putting it back in 4X4 mode. Do I need a new motor or is there something that can be done to fix this motor?

Resetting the computer (disconnecting the battery ~15 min) solved it. I guess the sensors are on their way out, but that's another project. Thanks for your replies and it's a great site.
-Rich

Fortunately, this was a quick fix for us as well. I REFUSED to drive the 20 miles home in 4LO. A manual swap is in the future.

check all your fuses and electrical before removing the shift motor if everything is all good remove the motor and rig your self up a manuel shift lever

-Rich

This worked for my problem. My 98 Exloprer Sport was stuck in 4 low. By resetting the computer, it came right out. After, I tested it and everything was working perfect again.

Thank you for suck a great site. :thumbsup:

I can confirm that disconnecting the battery worked for me too (also a 1998 6 cylinder automatic stuck in low range with blinking
low range light). I had tried everything else with no luck. Many times in the past I had temporary problems getting out of low range
solved just by turning the key full off and back on again but this time it took disconnecting the battery to fix it. After disconnecting the
battery and reconnecting, it took at least 5 seconds for the electric motor to shift it out of low range, it was slower than I think
it should be. But ti did work.

Back