Ranger rear end compatibility between a 1999 and a 2007? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger rear end compatibility between a 1999 and a 2007?

jbird7262

Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0
I have a 99' 4.0 XLT 4x4 that needs the rear diff. replaced, (S359S) specs are 3.73, 8.8, locking, 10" brakes, abs, 50 1/2 " drum to drum. I have had terrible luck finding one, salvage yards don't ship the right one, But I found one from a 2007 4.0 XLT 4x4, tag # is different (V319A) but it has all the same specs. 3.73, 8.8, locking, 10" brakes, abs and 50 1/2" drum to drum. Does anyone think this rear will NOT work? and why, Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99' 4.0 XLT 4x4 that needs the rear diff. replaced, (S359S) specs are 3.73, 8.8, locking, 10" brakes, abs, 50 1/2 " drum to drum. I have had terrible luck finding one, salvage yards don't ship the right one, But I found one from a 2007 4.0 XLT 4x4, tag # is different (V319A) but it has all the same specs. 3.73, 8.8, locking, 10" brakes, abs and 50 1/2" drum to drum. Does anyone think this rear will NOT work? and why, Thanks

If you mean to change out the entire rear axle assembly, then pretty sure, no, it cannot work. '99 had a solid axle housing assembly, 2007 had independent suspension, I do not even see how the supplier can be quoting a drum to drum dimension, for a 2007. imp

Well, thats weird, because I laid under this 2007 truck at the salvage yard and took the measurements my self, and the axle is a duplicate of mine, solid tube housing, tubes plug welded to center section as any rear housing is with any make, Ford, GM, Chrysler, only differance is it did not have a sway bar. Indepedant is a center section set up like a corvette with 1/2 shafts linked to universal joints at pivot points, same axle housing was used from late 80's to currant depending on r/p size, and all these have leaf spring pads and leaf springs too, most independants do not have leafs but coils. :D

solid tube axle (Ranger) 2007

T120100.gif

Ok, I think I understand now. You have a ranger, NOT an explorer! Not positive, but if all the specs are the same, it should work. Just make sure that the brake lines are configured the same. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here that can verify, though!

Swapping almost verything from my rear to this 07' rear except the guts :thumbsup:

Well, thats weird, because I laid under this 2007 truck at the salvage yard and took the measurements my self, and the axle is a duplicate of mine, solid tube housing, tubes plug welded to center section as any rear housing is with any make, Ford, GM, Chrysler, only differance is it did not have a sway bar. Indepedant is a center section set up like a corvette with 1/2 shafts linked to universal joints at pivot points, same axle housing was used from late 80's to currant depending on r/p size, and all these have leaf spring pads and leaf springs too, most independants do not have leafs but coils. :D

My apologies. Thought we were talking about an EXPLORER. I did not read the heading. Hope yer not mad! imp

EDIT: The pic of the independent is one nice Ford 9-inch center section.

Back