91 Explorer ignition cylinder removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer ignition cylinder removal.

mdsch061

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
I have followed all the threads and there is no pin to release the cylinder on a 91. My other issue is the key only goes in 90% and it will not turn. Anybody have any suggestions how to remove the cylinder ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not fun. If you cannot get the key all the way in you are in for some work.

Try, try, try again to get the key into the cylinder. You will need the remove the steering wheel and the column plastics. I remove the dash panel first, it makes it easier to get the other stuff off.

If you can get the key in, turn the ignition to on position and you will need to stick a piece of coat hanger into a bore only accesible from the bottom side of the column casting. There is a small lock pin that pushes in and then the cylinder will slide out. I will try to get you a pic.

If you can't get the key in the lock, you will need to drill out the cylinder with a 1/4 inch bit. I spent a little over three hours doing this one day. Its hard to get it to go down the center. Be careful not to damage the casting, its only aluminum. There is also a gear and slide mechanism behind the lock cylinder to move the actual ignition switch. You don't want to damage these either.

The first pic is the column as you see it sitting in the seat. My finger is where the key cylinder goes. There is a smooth round part of the casting just to the left of my finger under the lock cylinder case, going perpendicular to it. That is what is bored out, its circled with red.

The second pic shows the bore, again at the tip of my finger. Its about 3/4 of an inch deep. I used a piece of coat hanger. You do not have to remove the steering wheel mount. I have it removed for clarity.

Hope this helps, let us know how it works out.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,315
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,218

The first pic is the column as you see it sitting in the seat. My finger is where the key cylinder goes. There is a smooth round part of the casting just to the left of my finger under the lock cylinder case, going perpendicular to it. That is what is bored out, its circled with red.

The second pic shows the bore, again at the tip of my finger. Its about 3/4 of an inch deep. I used a piece of coat hanger. You do not have to remove the steering wheel mount. I have it removed for clarity.

Hope this helps, let us know how it works out.
Thank you so much for the advice and the pics. I was able to get the slid gear to move back and forth, but no luck with the key turning. I think the last cylinder key wafer colapsed in the keyway or the entire cylinder cratered inside. I will work on it tomorrow and get back to you if successful with the drill.

I have a 93 explorer...didnt have to bore the hole, it was already there. But extremely helpful on getting it out. Thanks!

No problem, that is what this forum is for.

Back