Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump

..Well...I might have spoke to soon..:(

..I went to price a new AGR pump locally as my Ranger is in need..My cost locally would be about $170.

..I figured 140-150 but now it's a bit to much as I'm thinking about it.

..If I could find a way better deal I would be all over it but I might just have to suffer with a stock replacement..:thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you going to try a Saginaw pump instead? I've seen posts on TRS and other places about using that on a Ranger..

I'm leaning towards doing this sooner rather than later as almost 400k miles on the stock pump means it is getting a bit weak.

~Mark

TBars, I have an 11 month old rebuilt pump you can have for free (No, you have to pick it up) It seems ok but I replaced it with an AGR so now no longer need it.

Are you going to try a Saginaw pump instead? I've seen posts on TRS and other places about using that on a Ranger..

I'm leaning towards doing this sooner rather than later as almost 400k miles on the stock pump means it is getting a bit weak.

~Mark

..Not yet at least..

..My high pressure line at the pump bent or something and was blowing fluid so I replaced both lines..As soon as I got that fixed I found that where that line ties into the pump, the connection on the pump and it's seals are all shot and won't stay tight at all..:banghead:

TBars, I have an 11 month old rebuilt pump you can have for free (No, you have to pick it up) It seems ok but I replaced it with an AGR so now no longer need it.

..I might really take you up on that as I leave out of State again in a week or two and don't trust it...Maybe I could get you to hand it off to Stic-o and he could bring it down to the show in Pomona..Let me check with him if it's ok with you?

How close is he? I'll give it to him if you say so.

..He is closer to you than you are to Home Depot..:D

..I still haven't heard back from him yet so if I can't get him to swing by I will drive up there next week if not sooner..:biggthump

So guys (esp. TBars and Albino),
I'm gonna try your reservoir extension thing.
I already had the AGR 809156 from Summit Racing by their recommendation.
But after your thread and apparent success over a couple of years,
I think I'll go ahead and do the mod.

Did you guys add any kind of gasket sealant between the hose and cut reservoir?
Would that make any sense?

I'm going to do the mod myself, but have the unit installed by a good shop that knows how to do all the correct bubble removing stuff.
Would you think they might have any trouble with the install because of the modification?

TBars: thinking I'll probably do your bent-hose version. You pretty happy with that still?
About how many inches did you add to the reservoir?

One more thing: Summit sent me the 809156 because that is what their in-house "Research Dept" said would fit my truck--a 1997 Mazda B2300 manual tranny. But Amazon's ad for the 809156 shows that number/unit as a fit for 1990-1996. My 1997's unit looks like the 809156 from what I can see. I can contact AGR on Monday. But any thoughts? I can't even find the 809156 on AGR's website.

Still waiting

TBars, I still have the steering gear and two boxes of various other parts. 80 now and the boss won't let me crawl under the EX anymore (SIGH) The body complains too. If you still want this stuff, let me know.

TBars, I still have the steering gear and two boxes of various other parts. 80 now and the boss won't let me crawl under the EX anymore (SIGH) The body complains too. If you still want this stuff, let me know.

..Yes..Please pm me your number and when I get back off the Desert I'll head up there after calling first..

I am in desperate need of the power steering pump..:D

I'm gonna try your reservoir extension thing.
I already had the AGR 809156 from Summit Racing by their recommendation.
But after your thread and apparent success over a couple of years,
I think I'll go ahead and do the mod.

Would that make any sense?

I'm going to do the mod myself, but have the unit installed by a good shop that knows how to do all the correct bubble removing stuff.
Would you think they might have any trouble with the install because of the modification?

TBars: thinking I'll probably do your bent-hose version. You pretty happy with that still?
About how many inches did you add to the reservoir?

One more thing: Summit sent me the 809156 because that is what their in-house "Research Dept" said would fit my truck--a 1997 Mazda B2300 manual tranny. But Amazon's ad for the 809156 shows that number/unit as a fit for 1990-1996. My 1997's unit looks like the 809156 from what I can see. I can contact AGR on Monday. But any thoughts? I can't even find the 809156 on AGR's website.

I probably need to replace the hose I used soon but it still working perfectly..

I was quoted by Summit $170 recently for the same pump and I just can't afford that right now..:(

..As for the years, on the Ranger it is the same up thru 97 so I would guess it would be the same for the B series too..I know that the same pump works on the 91-94 X but the X changed their pump in 95..:hammer:

Oh yea...No selant s the hose I used is snug enough and the lamp just assures the fit..;)

It would be nice if I had the time to design a real pipe extension for ths pump but it will come sooner or later..

I probably need to replace the hose I used soon but it still working perfectly..

I was quoted by Summit $170 recently for the same pump and I just can't afford that right now..:(

..As for the years, on the Ranger it is the same up thru 97 so I would guess it would be the same for the B series too..I know that the same pump works on the 91-94 X but the X changed their pump in 95..:hammer:

Oh yea...No selant s the hose I used is snug enough and the lamp just assures the fit..;)

It would be nice if I had the time to design a real pipe extension for ths pump but it will come sooner or later..

Thanks, Tbars!
I think I paid $150 for the AGR pump from Summit Racing.
About how many inches do you reckon you added to the reservoir?

still making noise with new remanu pump from cardone i dont think there taking down the rebuilds right ....impeller sounds somthing obnoxious ...i would of kept my old pump untill i figured an aftermarket adaptor or somthing

what in the steering box is causing the system to make the circuit growl like maybe they should of used a different impeller ...he ha

proportioning valve ?

blowjam?

:roll:

.Air is what makes it sound loud..

..You don't need to have a fluid leak for air to still get by at the fittings..If air is allowed to get into the system for X amount of time, the air will fail the pump..

Our issue with the AGR pumps was that the speed it was turning was creating foam tithe air pockets since the stock size reservoir was not of a capacity to handle this issue.

No, I did not use any kind of sealer. I did however, scuff up the reservoir neck with some sandpaper in a circular motion to create some rings/ridges for the extension to grab on.

Still running the original hose.

My adapted AGR pump is still making some whining, I think. I say "I think" because it gets to be, maybe, a bit of an obsession.:) I get that whiny noisy in my head, and then sometimes I wonder if I'm not imagining it! But...I don't think so. Although it does seem to come and go. The mod is holding up fine now after about half a year. I used 2 clamps--2 top, 2 bottom. I may just dump the bucks and get that other, better pump for I think $235.

I forget the name of it. But I will try to check and get back to you. I believe Summit Racing carries it.

..Dibs on your AGR failed or not..I'll take a look into it..:hammer:

Sure. I may replace it, even though it works fine
(aside from some whining).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back