HELP! Transmission problems, what to do?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Transmission problems, what to do??

bigDerk

Reaction score
City, State
Stockbridge, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
Ok guys, I took my Explorer (94 XLT with the auto tranny) to the local Ford dealership with what I thought to simply be a blown seal near the front of the transmission. Had to leave it there over the weekend, and someone finally got to look at it this morning. When I got home from work today, my dad told me what the guy said when he called- at least $1200 total in repair costs. Said it needs new seals in the tranny, along with the rear main engine seal, couple other small things. Along with over $1000 in labor costs at $75/hr. And then he goes on to say that this may not even fix the problem, that it would be best to simply replace the tranny. Now first off, my truck only has 80K on it. I can't see it needing a freakin new tranny already! Secondly, is $75/hr INSANE, or am I just cheap?

AAAAGGGGHHHHH I don't know what I'm gonna do. I just got $500 for my old wheels/tires, but that's all the money I even have, so I'm stuck with geting my parents to help me out. I swear, these things ALWAYS happen at the worst possible times. I wasn't planning to keep this POS past the end of the summer and now I have to drop over a grand on the frickin transmission. :fire: :fire: :fire:

what is the problem you took it in for?
as for the cost - yep, thats pretty standard for a dealership
did they do a tear down inspection or just a visual?
if they only did a visual then you might want to call some trans shops for an esitmate based on the work they've quoted you (possibly minus the rear main) then pay your base $75.00 inspection fee (i wouldn't do this until you've decided to go somewhere else - as this charge is usually absorbed by the dealer if you choose to have them do the work), on the topic of trans replacements there's a huge thread in here about when your a4ld tranny died and they can be all over the map.

Well the problem seems to just be bad seals- rear main engine seal, and some seals in the tranny which require the transmission to be dropped to change them. So the tranny itself isn't even the issue. The only thing they've done so far is look at the truck and I guess they might have run some pressure tests or something on it to find the leaks. They haven't dropped the transmission out yet.

I'm not even letting Ford do the work, they're a bunch of money hungry rapists. Hell all the *******s in this business are, I just want someone to steal my POS so I can get an insurance check. :fire:

Back