high RPM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

high RPM

Animex

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 2007
Greetings!

this is my first post here so i would like to say hello to all the members in this great forum.

i live in Saudi Arabia, and i recently bought an Explorer XLT2007

on the first month the car works like a charm! but later on the car became abit heavy on acceleration, like starting 80km/h (50mi/h) it gives high RPM like 3000+ and accelerate slowly till it shifts gear then goes back to normal i feel i barely can reach 120 km/h (75mi/h) even hearing the sound of the high RPM makes my car looks like a sport car with a loud exhaust noise. it been a week or so now like this and im abit worried about this.

what im suspecting is the ATF when i changed it, they put "Motorcraft Type M" oil which im unsure if it works because they told me this works with all cars and they use to for other Explorers too...and i read in the guide says "Mecron V or SP"...

also when the car is not moving wither its on P D N or very low speed i hear a hissing or whistling sound, it disappears when i accelerate and the RPM sometimes not all the time goes up and down when idle.

incase you ask about the car

Ford Explorer XLT 2007 4x4
6V

P.S im not that good with cars so most of the time i will be lost haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no clue what motorcraft m is, the car takes motorcraft mercon 5 (v).

the sp fluid is used on the 6 speed transmission.

did this happen after the trans flush?

i cant drive it, or know, but also low fuel pressure, restricted exhaust can cause shifting / high rpm issue with not enough torque to the converter.

no clue what motorcraft m is, the car takes motorcraft mercon 5 (v).

the sp fluid is used on the 6 speed transmission.

did this happen after the trans flush?

i cant drive it, or know, but also low fuel pressure, restricted exhaust can cause shifting / high rpm issue with not enough torque to the converter.

i looked around the net and it seems that Motorcraft M is used for models 92-97 im unsure still.

i went back and bought Mercon V and changed the oil the car seems a little better.
today i tried to go full speed or tried to and i noticed that at 120km/h (75mi/h) the car wont shift into 5th gear and the RPM will stay high (3000-4000) unless i slow down to less than 120 km/h or use a slow steady acceleration up to 120 km/h

but the car is ok from 1st gear up to 3rd and on the 4th abit of high RPM then shift to it, and that's it no 5th gear.

the car mileage is about Km 240000 (150,000 mils) on it

after reading over the internet im hoping its not the Torque converter :(

Regards,

i think you have a broken servo. or a broken band. no check engine light?

i looked around the net and it seems that Motorcraft M is used for models 92-97 im unsure still.

i went back and bought Mercon V and changed the oil the car seems a little better.
today i tried to go full speed or tried to and i noticed that at 120km/h (75mi/h) the car wont shift into 5th gear and the RPM will stay high (3000-4000) unless i slow down to less than 120 km/h or use a slow steady acceleration up to 120 km/h

but the car is ok from 1st gear up to 3rd and on the 4th abit of high RPM then shift to it, and that's it no 5th gear.

the car mileage is about Km 240000 (150,000 mils) on it

after reading over the internet im hoping its not the Torque converter :(

Regards,

I looked up the procedure to change the auto trans oil on the 5R55S trans for your vehicle. It appears not to have a conventional dip stick and requires a special tool to fill the trans pan from the bottom of the pan. So how did you get the right level?

The transmission (pan, TC, oil cooler) capacity is about 11.7 liters (12.4 quarts) and typically the pan only holds about 4 liters. So how much fluid did you drain and how much Mercon V did you add.

If the trans is low on oil it will not work properly with excessively delayed shifts and lots of revs but not much acceleration. Sounds a lot like your problem.

Good luck.

I looked up the procedure to change the auto trans oil on the 5R55S trans for your vehicle. It appears not to have a conventional dip stick and requires a special tool to fill the trans pan from the bottom of the pan. So how did you get the right level?

The transmission (pan, TC, oil cooler) capacity is about 11.7 liters (12.4 quarts) and typically the pan only holds about 4 liters. So how much fluid did you drain and how much Mercon V did you add.

If the trans is low on oil it will not work properly with excessively delayed shifts and lots of revs but not much acceleration. Sounds a lot like your problem.

Good luck.

I took it to some workshop near by they used some kind of small pump like tool to put in the oil from the bottom and I completely emptied it from the oil and put 6 bottles of mecron v the small ones, should have added more or less?

I took it to some workshop near by they used some kind of small pump like tool to put in the oil from the bottom and I completely emptied it from the oil and put 6 bottles of mecron v the small ones, should have added more or less?

That tool is the right one for the job, so your transmission is up to level. The bottles of Mercon hold a liter or a quart (945 ML), the bottle states the volume.

To replace all that Motorcraft type M ATF you would need close to 12 bottles (1 liter bottles) of Mercon V. You now have a 50/50 mixture of Mercon V and Type M (whatever that is). The remaining 6 liters of the type M was in the Torque Converter and the cooler system. To replace all the fluid with Mercon V you will need to flush the trans; and Ford says that is an acceptable procedure for your trans. Ford also say not to mix ATF types and only use their spec fluid.

An important aspect is whether your problem started with the trans fluid change to Motorcraft Type M ATF? Waskly asked this question but I did not see an answer from you.

Good luck.

That tool is the right one for the job, so your transmission is up to level. The bottles of Mercon hold a liter or a quart (945 ML), the bottle states the volume.

To replace all that Motorcraft type M ATF you would need close to 12 bottles (1 liter bottles) of Mercon V. You now have a 50/50 mixture of Mercon V and Type M (whatever that is). The remaining 6 liters of the type M was in the Torque Converter and the cooler system. To replace all the fluid with Mercon V you will need to flush the trans; and Ford says that is an acceptable procedure for your trans. Ford also say not to mix ATF types and only use their spec fluid.

An important aspect is whether your problem started with the trans fluid change to Motorcraft Type M ATF? Waskly asked this question but I did not see an answer from you.

Good luck.

I see, and yes I noticed this after they used type m
So I need to use another 6 bottles to be safe? As I noticed the gas consumption got better from 16 km/l to 17.7km/l tonight it used to be 19 to 21 km/l

Good luck.

So I need to use another 6 bottles to be safe? As I noticed the gas consumption got better from 16 km/l to 17.7km/l tonight it used to be 19 to 21 km/l

No, you have to replace the entire 11.7 liters of mixed ATF with 11.7 liters (bottles) of Mercon V. The only way to do this is to flush the trans.

By draining the pan and refilling you are improving the proportion of Mercon V to Type M. It will take many pan drops to fix your problem. It will be better and cheaper to get a trans flush.

Good luck.

No, you have to replace the entire 11.7 liters of mixed ATF with 11.7 liters (bottles) of Mercon V. The only way to do this is to flush the trans.

By draining the pan and refilling you are improving the proportion of Mercon V to Type M. It will take many pan drops to fix your problem. It will be better and cheaper to get a trans flush.

Good luck.

Sadly not many are skilled enough to do the flushing although i heard/read on the internet its an easy job can be done by an average mechanic.

some of them are afraid to do it they dont want to take responsibility if something happens to the transmission.

so i decided to do the pan changing in a friend's workshop for free i will just buy the oil and stuff.

i will let you know if anything new happens.

Regards,

Finally i found an authorized Ford workshop that said will do the flushing for me at a discounted price, and i flushed it and used the 12 quarts.

so far the car is back to normal with no problems at all, it was checked it before and after with computers and a test run and the results were ok no errors or anything.

i thank Waskly & Town for the help! i really appreciate it.

P.S i asked about the Motorcraft Type M, they told me this oil is used for the old cars 90's which is i believe is equal to Dexron III?

Dexron 3 is the GM equivalent of Mercon. Mercon has been used by Ford since before the '90s and up to 2008 approx in auto trans and full time and AWD transfer cases. Your transfer case uses Mercon. Never heard it called Type M.

Congratulations on getting your Explorer fixed.

Here it is the oil bottle

34y9ouc.jpg

Dexron 3 is the GM equivalent of Mercon. Mercon has been used by Ford since before the '90s and up to 2008 approx in auto trans and full time and AWD transfer cases. Your transfer case uses Mercon. Never heard it called Type M.

Congratulations on getting your Explorer fixed.

Town, according to http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-TransmissionFluids.aspx you should use Motorcraft Transfer Case fluid, not Mercon or does that not apply to earlier Explorers.

Town, according to http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-TransmissionFluids.aspx you should use Motorcraft Transfer Case fluid, not Mercon or does that not apply to earlier Explorers.
The Ford spec oil for the 2006 and 2007 Explorer transfer cases is Mercon. For 2008 and 2009 the spec is "transfer case oil" and the spec numbers are quite different. Ford replaced Mercon with Mercon V as an interchangeable (partly or fully) replacement ATF in about 2008. It appears that Ford introduced the transfer case oil to replace Mercon, rather than Mercon V to replace Mercon in full time transfer cases. I cannot see why, but you pointed out the large price differential between Mercon and transfer case oil.

It came as quite a shock when you pointed out that Mercon V is not recommended for Transfer cases. While I am skeptical, my son's 2007 Explorer will get transfer case oil when we do an oil change.

Thanks for the info.

Back