Water leak (Back motor driver side) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water leak (Back motor driver side)

Racingtheburg

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
Ok guys I've been fixing up my 1997 explorer 4wd sohc v6. I changed our sway bar bushing and endlinks. Took it for a test drive and look down and it says check gauge I look and the water temp is on H not in red but on the H 12 o clock. So I said hmm Never had cooling issues besides changing out water pump 2 months ago. Then the gauge goes down to maybe 10 o clock. Then shoots back up 1 minute later and plays this game as I limp home.

I let it sit and figure its the thermostat being a pain so I bought a new one and replaced. Then start it up and gauge is still reading hot. So I shut off and disconnect battery thinking gauge was stuck or something. So I turn her back on after 5 mins of battery re set.

Still same problem then I notice water dripping under car I figure, eh I let some spill its running down since car is on and vibration moves water.

Then I back her up and re check. I notice water dripping from the front trans bell housing on driver side ( my car leans driver side) So I look and try to find the leak and find nothing and its coming out pretty good now.

Any cooling lines around there? I hope its not freeze plug :-( Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not familiar with the V6 to tell you if there are any potential leak sources on the rear of the engine -- perhaps a freeze plug in the cylinder head. SOHC experts, please chime in...
However, the point from which coolant drips down is often nowhere near the source. It may be leaking at the front and making its way to the back over top of the intake manifold, over the oil pan lip, etc, etc. You may be lucky and see the leak if it's large, or follow it by the green deposits. Otherwise the best way to find the source is to hook a pressure tester to the radiator with the engine cold and carefully look around with a flashlight and mirror. The next best may be to use a fluorescent dye.

Then I back her up and re check. I notice water dripping from the front trans bell housing on driver side ( my car leans driver side) So I look and try to find the leak and find nothing and its coming out pretty good now.

Any cooling lines around there? I hope its not freeze plug :-( Any ideas guys?

Thanks

okay, i had this too, answer to the question is, yes, the leak is on the back of the engine, and no it is not a frost plug,

It is the lower intake gasket , like this ,,

195833_10150495789575165_713775164_17972716_1126161_n.jpg

it is a fairly involved process to change these, might have to be a done at a shop Job,,

Do you have a diagram of cooling system?

Also I don't mind I build engines and tinker on cars all the time. This explorer is just a very tight fit in the back hard to see. Makes sense might as well change it truck is about to turn 100k miles.

I will check tonight thanks for the post. Do you have a write up on the install?

Thanks

Part numbers for lower intake gasket?

No, Ive only done the 4.0 OHV. Maybe look on rockauto.com. You can also use a discount code on this site.

what engine is in your Explorer?

that will help us out a ton,

Wasnt my picture above. Also from what I have read it might be frost plug.

Are there any water hoses behind engine in that area>? Also possible heater core or hose?

I can't find hose diagram anywhere.

Thanks

Going to tear into it Friday to get a better look.

I'm 100000% positive mine is a SOHC

Sorry, I cant help on this. We need an SOHC guy to chime in.

Ok so i am the idiot here.

I check the leak further and took off top of intake to see if maybe...just maybe the thermostat housing was leaking in the back. You guessed right...it was! Big time! And couldnt see it unless top intake was off (which makes doing a thermostat 10 tiems easier!

a1r710.jpg

So I RTV the housing of the thermostat no leaking and runs great. I must of fixed a intake line because the idle is a little better lol. I did notice I need to change the PCV.

From what I keep seeing, the SOHC is a bit more involved with anything that needs fixing than the OHV. The SOHC is a more efficient motor though. Great to see you fixed it yourself.

From what I keep seeing, the SOHC is a bit more involved with anything that needs fixing than the OHV. The SOHC is a more efficient motor though. Great to see you fixed it yourself.

Yea it is a little crammed but doable. Just pay attention to where things went and go lol.

BEST ADVICE ON HOSES AND WIRES. Take GREEN bright GREEN painters tape and wrap around each side of connection so thats 2 pieces of tape one for one side and another for the other of where it plugs in. THEN label each tape side with permanent marker. Use 1,2,3,4 or ABCD. Example:

You have an intake hose that goes on intake. Tape the end of hose that plugs into intake and tape intake area where hose plugs in. Then on each piece of tape label it A and A on the other so you know where it goes.

Thanks, 1st time on, my 01 4.0 shoc appears to have the mystery leaking lower manifold.

I was going to suggest checking that thermostat housing, because they are known to leak and the coolant can easily run across the top of the block and down the back. The gauge problem was probably just because the coolant level had dropped enough that the coolant temp sensor was out of the water -- sloshing would move the reading.

It's always nice when it ends up being one of the cheaper and easier to fix possibilities.

Back