How to install an electric fan PICS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install an electric fan PICS

$39 is what it says he paid in the first post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok i got what is prolly goin to be a dumb question...i am not too great at wiring...what would be the result of me just hotwiring the fan into a switched source only on with the key that the fan is always on...it wouldnt be much different than the factory fan would it? and would it still help my gas mileage and power? thanks for any info and/or help

The fan sucks ALOT of amps during "startup"

Once its "on" then the power withdrawl is significantly less.

well the way i wana wire it up will be to a toggle switch so i could turn if off at startup if need be and also turn it off if i just hav the ignition on to listen to radio or something

i kno they make an automatic one but im just worried that i will incorrectly wire something or it will stop working or a wire will come undone at some point and it will blow my motor lol

i kno they make an automatic one but im just worried that i will incorrectly wire something or it will stop working or a wire will come undone at some point and it will blow my motor lol

If these are concerns that you cannot surmount, and you are not confident of your ability to properly install it, perhaps it would be best to hold off on this mod for now. Spend some time reading, looking, and learning to be comfortable enough to know what you are up against.

well the way i wana wire it up will be to a toggle switch so i could turn if off at startup if need be and also turn it off if i just hav the ignition on to listen to radio or something

A toggle switch cannot handle the kind of amps the fan would be pulling.

thats how i had my electric fans wired in my camaro nd i drove that diffrent days and raced it...turned the fans off to allow for quicker heatup then flipped the switch to be constantly on...and its not that i dnt trust myself so much as using cheap aftermarket modules/relays a writeup using factory componets would be nice if there is one if so can some1 post a link i have been trying to find one

Black Magic fans offer the same thing with A/C & manual over ride. Have one on a 64 chevy & plan to order one for my Mountaineer. Think they run about $200 at Summit. Comes with all the mounting hardware.

Black Magic fans offer the same thing with A/C & manual over ride. Have one on a 64 chevy & plan to order one for my Mountaineer. Think they run about $200 at Summit. Comes with all the mounting hardware.

My experiences with Black Magic fans have not been great. They do not move anywhere near enough air for a modern application, are overpriced, and have a reputation for poor reliability.

This was one of my concerns too, so I paid a guy to do the wiring. Glad I did as it is real neat and tidy.

Ive owened my black magic for 6 yrs now & has been on 3 different rides without issue.

Ive heard ppl using Crown Vic fans with the adjustable controller as an elec fan with good luck. I used to have a bookmark to the specs of different Oem fans as far as cfm goes. The Vic & Mustang fans are easy to obtain.

As for wiring if you use a toggle run it to a relay so it takes the amps. Lesson learned when I was younger. Burned the toggle out & didnt know it till almost to late.

After few years, can anyone with this mod comment on ACTUAL fuel econ improvement?

Taurus, Mark IIIV, what is consensus of best fan to use to fit the 4L?

Its like a 23 x 24 inch shroud.

Hard to comment on actual fuel economy for me as i wasnt tracking fuel mileage until recently.

Currently

15.27 mpg city
17.9 mpg h/w

Fan and fan controller still working perfectly.

Looks like you have some other mods that the fleebay sellers say improve mileage, namely tune, air inlet and exhaust. I'm probably sitting at those number now without any of that.

You got the 2 wheel drive? Many people would love to know how you get that level of efficiency with no mods. Please share.

4x4
Oem tires hard 40 to reduce rolling resistance
You’ll notice that is what the OEM are doing with hev to jump up the mph

I have run MI to AZ constant 75 fully loaded and can pull 19’s to near 20

It’s when you get in city the mileage drops

The X would be a neat candidate to mod in a HEV drivetrain including regent braking just for this reason,
Maybe two required

4x4
Oem tires hard 40 to reduce rolling resistance
You’ll notice that is what the OEM are doing with hev to jump up the mph

I have run MI to AZ constant 75 fully loaded and can pull 19’s to near 20

It’s when you get in city the mileage drops

The X would be a neat candidate to mod in a HEV drivetrain including regent braking just for this reason,
Maybe two required

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back