Why did you buy a 3rd gen and what made you want to mod it? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why did you buy a 3rd gen and what made you want to mod it?

I bought mine mine when I came across it on a ford dealer dite as is. Only needed an air filter and right front wheel bearing which my mechanic did it for a good price. I love the 3fd gens out of all gens and I found quite a lot of thingd I could do even custom lighting options I wanted to try. Currently ive installed heated mirrors,homelink, LED Iighting, LED dual color switch back signalstrips like lexus around inner and bottom of headlights, jvc double din bluetooth radio unit, led cupholders, plasma haloprojector goglights, blacked out billet grille, hid 6000k ice white lo/hi beams and fogs, custom led 7 signal/clearance lights on running boarding, led tailights from spyder, led signal mirrors heated, limo tint rear and cargo windows, electric airhorn upgrade, k&n fipk 2 air intake, jetchip, billy dog tuner, kicker cs68 speakers, 1600 watt dual 12 inch subs from kicker with kicker enclosure powered by a kicker 2400 watt mono block amp, added switch to shutoff hids and use only led strips as drls(to have audi style and save hid bulb life lol), heated first row seats install(factory heated seats), audio controls on steerin wheel mod, 2nd rowheated seats(custom install aftermarket pads), and bought explorer chrome lettering that goes on doors andi installed on front hood lip like the flex, 2014 sport explorer and range rovers. Led halos and projecto7 retrofitting is next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought mine because my jetta **** the bed.

My options were a 2003 explorer v8 or a 2002 escape 4 cyl so naturally me being a guy and all had to get the bigger and the better of the two.

I do modifications because I get bored of seeing the same thing every day so I strive to make it better :)

bought mine for my wife, she left and couldn't make the payments so I ended up with it. as for modding I cant leave anything alone

My first vehicle was a 92 X that my parents had bought me as a early graduation gift / I need a vehicle for driving my daughter around in February 2011. Come November of 2012, my girlfriend and I wanted a more update vehicle not as beat up as my Explorer (though it was in really good condition outside). We originally sought a 07 Equinox but then found a 04 X. The price was perfect for us for a first car loan and we both loved it, plus I loved my old Explorer.

Now I wanna customize it to really make it my own. I know almost nothing about vehicles, so I'm trying to learn. My sound system will be hooked up soon, then I think I'll do a CAI and underdrive pulley as others have done. Gonna get smoked taillights and new wheels/tires.

Love the truck(3rd gen x) ,just getting discouraged on the lifting part ,didn't think a suspension lift was going to be such a problem! Just trying to stay away from body lifts and coil spacers..help!

The price was right and it was in reasonably good condition (something of a rarity around here where 4X4s are usually used hard and torn up). It fit my general criteria for utility, i.e. can haul the family, dogs, camping/hunting gear, can tow a decent amount.

I mod it because I found the stock height/suspension unacceptable for my intended use. The first time off road for some light camping in the Rockies I dragged hard parts continuously. The stock struts were worn and rediculously soft. The stock tire size was fine for urban use, but not much more.

I bought mine because it was bigger than my 03' Ranger and we previously owned 6 Explorers/Mountaineers

This is my second ex... first way a 99 sport that I bought for 3600 bucks with 120k miles on it. I drove it for 3 years and decided I wanted a 3rd gen 4 door. Well, now I have it. Still trying to sell my sport (not costing me anything to sit there so I'm waiting for someone to come to me with the right price). Either way, I wanted the 3rd gen because I liked the interior way better. I would have kept the 2nd gen sport (excellent mechanical condition, ok cosmetic) but I needed a 4 door.

I'm modding it because it's actually a nicer vehicle than I believed I could get for what I paid for it (only paid 3400, it has 115k miles, and is in pretty good shape... worst looking thing exterior was roof rack paint was peeling). I have to put a little work in a couple of areas to make it look really nice for it's age, so I've decided a little more work to make it "mine" wouldn't be too much effort.

Mine is actually a birthday present from mom since she wanted to drive the 01 Sahara more often. Me personally, I love Jeeps, however I'm getting sick of all these JKs that are modded and you know nobody wants to "get dirty". Opted for the 3rd gen, liked the look, still has a 5spd and 4Lo like the Sahara, but probably more space and cleaner lines than a GC. I'm kinda like RoscoeJ, was trying to avoid body lifts but eff it...I may never have 35s, but a lifted & capable 3rd gen will always turn heads.

I was driving a 2x4 1997 Ford Ranger, and needed a Ford in 4x4 for the Michigan winters. The 2005 4x4 Explorer was priced right, the body had no rust and was in great shape, I love all of the space on the inside, and it handles great in all conditions. It's fun to drive! So far it has been fairly easy to work on. Replaced both sun visors (they were badly busted) front airbag sensor, rear passenger exterior door handle, serpentine belt, pulley, and tensioner and a few other things.

Needs a lot of work though, rear hub bearing(s), transmission service, differential and transfer case service, tune up, upper control arms, etc. Some of these I can do myself. When spring arrives, I'm going to open my wallet and get the Explorer running tip top!

I've never owned an SUV or Truck. Always been a car guy. All my friends had trucks so I didn't need one.

I was getting out of debt and sold my nice Audi, bought a cheap $500 1992 bmw 3 series that I drove for a year and a half and finally started giving me issues so I started looking for a cheap decent Daily Driver.

I wanted an SUV, I wanted the practicality of the extra space, higher up and overall better for my 6'5" 225lb frame.

I wanted the most, for the least. I was able to score my 2002 XLT 2wd with 96k miles for $3,200 which had recent records of $2,400 of maintenance done by the mother of the driver(kid) but he didn't like an suv so was selling it. Also had records of recent Brake Fluid flush/fill. Radiator flush/fill and a bunch of other stuff
so I felt like I got a great find and was worth every penny.

Reason for modding: I can't keep anything stock/factory/oem.

Built a set of headlights, Bi-Xenon Retrofit.
Installed a 7" Multi Media center to update the ###tions of the car.
Bluetooth, Pandora APP, Navigation, Back Up Camera, Bluetooth, Aux, SD Card etc...
I have a 23" LED BAR for the grill, and about to purchase a 50" Curved LED bar for the top.

My parents bought an 03 XLT-NBX in 2004 to replace our '98 Windstar. I'm 17 now so both of my brothers used it...so it has reached its prime owner finally. I started modding it mainly because me and my buddies are car buffs and I like a more personalized vehicle, and the feeling of doing something to it makes driving more pleasurable:thumbsup:

Back