4th Gen/General Mirror Installation on 3rd Gen | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen/General Mirror Installation on 3rd Gen

Yes they will. All Explorer 3rd gen and up are pre-wired for every option.

If you add heated mirrors to an X that didn't come with them, how do you get them to work? Are they controlled with the rear window defrost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you add heated mirrors to an X that didn't come with them, how do you get them to work? Are they controlled with the rear window defrost?

Defrost button

Pic 12,13 and 14 comparing old and new mirrors.

So I see the mirrors you put in are heated, does that function work as well?
The approach lights work the same I am pretty sure I read.

So I see the mirrors you put in are heated, does that function work as well?
The approach lights work the same I am pretty sure I read.

Hard to tell how good the heat works do to the bad weather not being here yet but you can feel it being warm to the touch after it's been running for awhile.

Approach lights are dimmer then the stock 02's lights but that really on matters on how much you need them, most people are going to use the remote to unlock their doors so no fumbling with keys.

Nevea How tall are you. Depending on your size that upward might not be a problem. As Brian was saying he's 6'7" so if he was saying it didn't go high enough it would be different if a 4'10" grandma said it doesn't go high enough for her.

Nevea How tall are you. Depending on your size that upward might not be a problem. As Brian was saying he's 6'7" so if he was saying it didn't go high enough it would be different if a 4'10" grandma said it doesn't go high enough for her.

I'm 5'11" and I've found if you're one to sit all the way back in your seat with your back pressed fully against your seat then it's a lot easier to see far back down the road. I have found that they allow you to see the lines in parking spots while backing up, something the stock ones wouldn't do.

Paid 44.03 for each one and bought them from this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/martinsautoparts

One thing I don't like about them is they don't seem to go up as high as the stock ones so if you're tall you wont be able to see the traffic behind you as much as you did before but I do like them better then stock ones just because they not only look better but have the heated mirror.

Just a quick FYI: I purchased these initially through your source above (Martins Auto Parts on Ebay) What a NIGHTMARE!! First of all they don't stock what they sell, so be careful! Their ad stated that they had more than (10) of each which was a lie. My shipment came and they only sent the right mirror but the invoice stated that both were shipped! So when I called to inquire about the left mirror, they said "Oh that one isn't in stock but we should be getting more in 2 weeks" I argued with them for 3 days telling them that their ad was misleading stating that both mirrors were in stock! They said, "well we sent you one out" I told them I ordered a "PAIR" not 1.....I don't go to the store and buy only 1 shoe or 1 glove! LOL....Anyway, I ended up buying these same mirrors from Amazon from a store by the name of "Auto Parts Giant" They are the same exact mirror and actually ship out of the same warehouse location as the Ebay store. I paid $85.08 for the pair with free shipping and they arrived in 2 days. They worked out great! The part # you want is: FD98ER (right) & FD98EL (left) That is if you want the one with heat & puddle lamp.

Just a quick FYI: I purchased these initially through your source above (Martins Auto Parts on Ebay) What a NIGHTMARE!! First of all they don't stock what they sell, so be careful! Their ad stated that they had more than (10) of each which was a lie. My shipment came and they only sent the right mirror but the invoice stated that both were shipped! So when I called to inquire about the left mirror, they said "Oh that one isn't in stock but we should be getting more in 2 weeks" I argued with them for 3 days telling them that their ad was misleading stating that both mirrors were in stock! They said, "well we sent you one out" I told them I ordered a "PAIR" not 1.....I don't go to the store and buy only 1 shoe or 1 glove! LOL....Anyway, I ended up buying these same mirrors from Amazon from a store by the name of "Auto Parts Giant" They are the same exact mirror and actually ship out of the same warehouse location as the Ebay store. I paid $85.08 for the pair with free shipping and they arrived in 2 days. They worked out great! The part # you want is: FD98ER (right) & FD98EL (left) That is if you want the one with heat & puddle lamp.

Good heads up. I'm looking to do this upgrade any day now.

That's too bad you had such a bad experience with them my experience was the complete opposite I ordered mine they arrived quickly and I had one that was broken and they had me just keep the broken one and shipped the replacement right out.

That's too bad you had such a bad experience with them my experience was the complete opposite I ordered mine they arrived quickly and I had one that was broken and they had me just keep the broken one and shipped the replacement right out.

They have had a bit of negative feedback on Ebay for the same problem I encountered. I find lately that I have better luck and service ordering from Amazon.

They have had a bit of negative feedback on Ebay for the same problem I encountered. I find lately that I have better luck and service ordering from Amazon.

Yeah I noticed a few of there 222 negative comments out of the 24k mention it but most where for the wrong or broken part.

I did look at Amazon but it was out of stock.

What are all the differences with the mirrors? Is the 4th gen a heated one or is it one with a turn signal, or both? A heated I've never had a car without heated mirrors and now that I don't have them, it's actually a terrible thing to go without! Can't take seemingly small things for granted!

What are all the differences with the mirrors? Is the 4th gen a heated one or is it one with a turn signal, or both? A heated I've never had a car without heated mirrors and now that I don't have them, it's actually a terrible thing to go without! Can't take seemingly small things for granted!

Basically it's the size of the mirror, it is square like the one on my F150 not a dated oval one. You have the option to buy these mirrors with or without heat or a puddle lamp. I bought them with both. I believe all EX's are wired from the factory for heat so if you buy the heated ones you will be able to activate them by pressing your rear defrost button.

Yeah I noticed a few of there 222 negative comments out of the 24k mention it but most where for the wrong or broken part.

I did look at Amazon but it was out of stock.

I forgot to mention to you, did you try and upgrade your puddle lamps on these mirrors?? Don't bother! The lens isn't held in with clips like the OE ones. I tried to pry them off and put in Silver Stars but once you get the lens off there is no way to clip it back in. They are glued in with no clips on the plastic for it to "Snap" back in. A little disappointing :( I just super glued mine back in and will live with the stock lighting until a bulb burns out then figure out what I will do when it happens. What do you expect for a cheap replacement....I am happy with them non the less.

Going to get these for my explorer. Thanks for the write up.

I bought my 4th gen ('04 xls) for towing my camper and while I already have strap on towing mirrors from my 03 escape I would like to put "factor" towing mirror on my explorer. Has anyone determined if any of the trucks have the same bolt pattern and window angle as the 3rd (and I guess 4th) gen Explorers?

I saw someone started a thread for this specific topic before but I figured I'd post in this topic about switching mirrors.

I had oem ford 4th gen mirrors on my last 3rd gen. I loved them. The looks were far above the 3rd gen mirrors. They do not adjust up as high as the 3rd gen mirrors. I am 6'1" and could see just fine out of them. I would have swapped them onto my new explorer, but they were not heated. Ford offers a cheaper line of mirrors called "crash parts." They have the same part number as the normal mirrors except there is a "cp" on the end. They usually run 50-75% cheaper than the regular mirrors and I can't tell the difference by looking at them. I paid $60 each for them at the dealership were I work. I will be getting another pair of them, eventually. They are down a little bit on the priority list.

Just found a pretty sweet deal on 4th gen mirrors.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 10.49.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 10.49.42 PM.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 284

Mirrors arrived today...I'll be installing tomorrow or Thursday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back