4x4 Switch Wiring Diagram - '92 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Switch Wiring Diagram - '92 Explorer

lnstevens1976

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 4x4 Switch in a '92 Explorer?

After installing a new stereo last night (rig didn't come with one when I bought it) I found that I had bumped the 4x4 switch and could get into 4 high (tested).

I couldn't get into 4 Low though and after a bit it stopped working again.

After further inspection upon pressing any button on the switch nothing happens, no click underneath, etc..

I have tested to make sure there is power at the connection, but I don't know what I can jumper to cause it to go into 4 High, Low, or if I even can.

So any help here would be appreciated.

I would rather not buy a switch only to find out it wasn't the switch.

Thanks,
Larry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 4x4 Switch in a '92 Explorer?

After installing a new stereo last night (rig didn't come with one when I bought it) I found that I had bumped the 4x4 switch and could get into 4 high (tested).

I couldn't get into 4 Low though and after a bit it stopped working again.

After further inspection upon pressing any button on the switch nothing happens, no click underneath, etc..

I have tested to make sure there is power at the connection, but I don't know what I can jumper to cause it to go into 4 High, Low, or if I even can.

Thanks,
Larry

Yea mine does not work either, the owner before me decided to put in a aftermarket radio and cut everything no wiring kits like a normal intelligent person would do, and hard wired everything, I think that's the source of my problem as well, if anyone has any info, let us know! :)

...I found that I had bumped the 4x4 switch and could get into 4 high (tested). I couldn't get into 4 Low though and after a bit it stopped working again.

Thanks,
Larry

Did the 4x4 work before? Just because a stereo was installed or missing is no indication of a switch issue.. On 1st generation explorers it is very common to have a broken plastic bumper within the shift motor preventing shifting into or out off 4x4. Check out the FAQ thread shift motor rebuild for lots of good info and pics on fixing this..

Did the 4x4 work before? Just because a stereo was installed or missing is no indication of a switch issue.. On 1st generation explorers it is very common to have a broken plastic bumper within the shift motor preventing shifting into or out off 4x4. Check out the FAQ thread shift motor rebuild for lots of good info and pics on fixing this..

I've read that thread so I should explain further.

When I was installing the stereo it appeared the switch had not even been reconnected after removal of the previous after market stereo.

Upon connecting the switch I was able to switch into 4 High. Unfortunately I didn't know how to switch into 4 low.

I drove it and tested it in 4 High, but was unable to test in 4 Low because I didn't know how.

After a few uses suddenly it stopped working again.

Honestly this "Feels" like a good possibility of a switch issue, but I want to trace this down. I don't want to be swapping parts for no reason..........

Or, for that matter, pulling things apart for no reason.

Well, I was right and it didn't take a new switch (at least not yet). I pulled the switch apart and cleaned all the connections on it.

After doing this I put the switch back in and the 4x4 works.

4 Hi works perfect, although 4 low makes a nice noise as it goes in which I don't know what that is yet.

MY lights don't even come on at my switch. Wish MY 4x4 worked...
Everything is plugged in and the fuses are good.

MY lights don't even come on at my switch. Wish MY 4x4 worked...
Everything is plugged in and the fuses are good.

The above shift motor thread has lots of info on trouble shooting a 4x4 shift problem. As a quick test you can start the engine, press the 4x4 High button, and then listen very carefully for relays clicking from the 4x4 computer (you may need a friend to sit in the rear hatch and listen). If you can hear the relays the shift button is correctly sending its signal to the 4x4 computer. At this point the most likely problem is the broken stop within the shift motor. If you cannot hear any relays you should then test the 4x4 computer.

Click for larger image
Left_hatch_info.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that if the 4x4 high works, but not 4x4 Low, then the shift motor must be working fine? Everything I've read about the shift motor problem relates to the plastic bump stop breaking, causing the motor to "lose track of itself" and not know what range it's in, preventing any further shifts and often making the 4wd and 4wd low lights blink. But if 4x4 high works and you can shift into and out of it easily, the motor must be fine no? My 4 low doesn't work and I don't know why.

Am I correct in assuming that if the 4x4 high works, but not 4x4 Low, then the shift motor must be working fine? Everything I've read about the shift motor problem relates to the plastic bump stop breaking, causing the motor to "lose track of itself" and not know what range it's in, preventing any further shifts and often making the 4wd and 4wd low lights blink. But if 4x4 high works and you can shift into and out of it easily, the motor must be fine no? My 4 low doesn't work and I don't know why.

Is your question geared related to a 1st generation (91-94) Explorer? Your profile indicates you have a '96 (2nd generation) and this is a 1st generation forum. Anyway if 4x4 high works then you should be good. How Exactly are you trying to engage 4x4 Low? On a 1st generation Explorer you must:
  • 1st be in 4x4 high
  • Transmission in Neutral
  • Clutch depressed (man transmission)
  • Foot on Brake (mph<3)
  • Now Press 4x4 Low

Hi thanks for the reply. Well actually I have a 96 ranger. So its kinda a cross between a 1st gen ex (ie. TTB suspension) and a 2nd gen (most electricals and the interior.) But as far as I can tell the 4wd operation for my truck is most closely related to 1st gen ex's and maybe early 2nd gen? (I have 2wd/4wd hi/4wd lo...none of this "auto" stuff like on later explorers.) I do know my 4wd module is not the boxy one with the test switch/light like on 1st gen ex's. Its the smaller one in the dash behind the GEM. I tried swapping it once, no change on my lack of 4low issue. And the engagement process is the same (neutral, stopped, foot on brake, 4wd high 1st, then try 4wd low.)
But while my High works perfect, no low. The 4WD LOW light does not come on and it just stays in 4wd High. (both come on when you start the truck so I know the bulb works...and I think that means the 4wd module works).
I know the dealer would charge an obscene amount to troubleshoot this. I am wondering about the MLPS switch. Sometimes my reverse lights don't come on. Maybe its also not completing the 'neutral sense circuit' needed for 4low.

Try putting it in reverse to then 4 low thats what i have to do

Well, I was right and it didn't take a new switch (at least not yet). I pulled the switch apart and cleaned all the connections on it.

After doing this I put the switch back in and the 4x4 works.

4 Hi works perfect, although 4 low makes a nice noise as it goes in which I don't know what that is yet.

A good clunk into 4 low is normal.

Try putting it in reverse to then 4 low thats what i have to do

Good info..

BTW.. The last post by SensRanger was 7+ years ago.. I hope he figured it out by now :dunno:

Good info..

BTW.. The last post by SensRanger was 7+ years ago.. I hope he figured it out by now :dunno:

Well...I guess good info is good info regardless of the post date lol. :D

I just did a search about truck is not going in to low range and this came up. I might have an issue with the switch since it goes in to 4x4 high but not low. I am the second owner of the truck and I know the owner and the truck since it was bought new. It probably went in 5 times max in it's entire life and probably never for the low range. :(

Did you check out the 4x4 Trouble Shooting Guide?

To Activate 4x4 Low
1st be in 4x4 high
Transmission in Neutral
Clutch depressed (man transmission)
Foot on Brake (mph<3)
Now Press 4x4 Low

Back