Dented Rear Passenger Door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dented Rear Passenger Door

Hello EForum!
Longtime lurker but first post ever.

Bought a Black 2014 Ford Explorer Limited this past January but ended up getting it dented. Long story short, I bumped into an angled cement pillar due to a speeding car in a parking garage. In hindsight I should of just let him hit me but I digress...

The cement wall did a pretty number on the car. Paint is definitely scratched and damage is mostly localized on the skin of the Right Rear Passenger side door. A PDR is definitely out of the question(?)

Thoughts on what I should do next? I do have one accident forgiveness left on my insurance and the deductible would be $500.

Should I get some body work done or start hunting for a spare door? Out of pocket or insurance?

Thanks yall!

To the images(brace yourself for the hurt:()
HrMZtCKh.jpg

i9TRvLXh.jpg

Pbfjewnh.jpg

P8XFpReh.jpg

LhD4kjUh.jpg

SP5Ueu5h.jpg

sVD2HZQh.jpg

ULeQOcKh.jpg

Original sized photos here: http://imgur.com/a/iXg6b

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well for starters PDR would be pointless since it needs to be painted. Either way there is WAY too much metal stretch in there for PDR. ( the dent is too big )

I am fairly certain a door shell would be your best bet. I think I see the body of the door tweaked ever so slightly. Just for grins and giggles, let me know if the window goes all the way up and down without any issue.

A door skin is another option that a body shop might consider.

Either way, a door skin is NOT a DIY task. I can explain it to you if you wish, but its a lot of work to do right.
Replacing the door shell, or getting a junk yard door could be a DIY job if you have tools and maybe medium level ability.

The thing is, you have damaged moldings, possibly a damaged dog leg, its not exactly a cheap repair. Talk to your body shop about saving your deductible. They can do things like, not buy new moldings and what not, and forward that cost towards your deductible. They might not be able to hit the full $500.00, but something is better than nothing.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Monmix for putting the PDR option to bed; just wanted another second opinion.

The window does open and close freely.

The damage to the dogleg and molding are pretty minimal. Some portions of the plastic on the dog leg were scratched but they were not deep enough to be wildly apparent. Some molding was roughed up but because of the angled(towards me) cement pillar there wasn't too much abrasion in that area.

As much as I would like to fix this myself, I am going suppress my pride and gumption as an engineer and get this done by a professional for sure. (putting my welder down now;) )

I also see that you're in Millersville. Any recommendations for any local body shops in the DMV area? Not looking to find the bottom of the barrel prices but something that is competitive but offers quality service at a fair price point.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Dmv ?

DC/Maryland/Virginia Area

My shop is in Gambrills Maryland.
Just south of the I-97, Maryland route 3, Maryland Route 32 split.

Back