'96 Transmission Grinds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 Transmission Grinds

Caponetta

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
My 96 ex makes this horrible grinding sound from the trans. It only happens if I put the car in park, leave it running then switch to drive. The grinding lasts about a second and usually happens twice a few seconds apart. So far no issues changing gears, just this disconcerting noise. And ideas on what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 96 ex makes this horrible grinding sound from the trans. It only happens if I put the car in park, leave it running then switch to drive. The grinding lasts about a second and usually happens twice a few seconds apart. So far no issues changing gears, just this disconcerting noise. And ideas on what it could be?

Something that probably involves the transmission being removed from the vehicle...

That wasn't condescending.. Obviously removing it is involved, seeing if anyone is familiar with the issue.

There is no point in trying to diagnose something like that if the transmission has to come out, and be pulled apart anyways...

I've personally never seen a 5R55E or 4R70W Automatic make grinding sounds prior to failure. Slipping, slamming, lurching, surging, etc, but grinding sounds are more common to brake/differential problems.

Does it make this grinding sound after you go from park to drive even if you keep your foot on the brake? If it does, you've confirmed it is almost certianly a transmission noise, and which case there is probably some form of bearing or clutch pack failure occuring internally.

You need to include as many details as possible also in posts like these, that's why I was condesending.

I have no idea what your truck is (sport, or 4 door), what motor it has (4.0 OHC/OHV or 5.0), or what transmission it is...

I am also unsure what circumstance this sound occurs except for when you go from park to drive it briefly makes this sound (As in only while in the truck is in motion, or even while stationary), and you are stating there are no other symptoms.

Has the transmission ever been serviced? every been replaced? how many miles are on the truck? etc etc?

Speaking of trans problems... I have a 4r55e that after warming up, when slowing down to 15mph, 1st gear drops out partially. If I brake torque it or shift into 2nd or 1st then back into drive it regains 1st gear. Transmission has 168k miles on it and has had only one fluid change.

Back