• Register Today It's free!

Tune up?

ahent

Reaction score
City, State
Johnston, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT
OK, Ford dealer says I am do for tune up (68,000 on 2007 Explorer XLT 4.0). Other than spark plugs, what is involved with this $250 process. I am fine paying it, I have heard some horror stories involving the plugs on these Explorers, I just want to know what else they might be doing. Thanks for any help, I did search for this, but do you know how many times "Tune" comes up on this website, holy crap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, Ford dealer says I am do for tune up (68,000 on 2007 Explorer XLT 4.0). Other than spark plugs, what is involved with this $250 process. I am fine paying it, I have heard some horror stories involving the plugs on these Explorers, I just want to know what else they might be doing. Thanks for any help, I did search for this, but do you know how many times "Tune" comes up on this website, holy crap.

It should also include new plug wires, and perhaps a new air filter. That's about it for a tuneup these days. Check with the dealer, as some include things like checking/topping off various fluids, as well as "safety inspections" of various systems.

For the most part, the only plugs people seem to have problems with are the Bosch. For some reason, Explorers, and Fords in general, just seem to not like the Bosch plugs. Motorcraft and Autolite should be fine though. I imagine the dealer will use Motorcraft.

Have the dealer tell you what they are doing for the $250.

I would do Motorcraft/Autolite plugs (and inspect wires).
Replace fuel filter.
Replace Air filter.
Change Transfer case fluid.
Check serpentine belt for wear/cracking.
Check antifreeze level in expansion tank.
Change Oil/Filter if necessary.

Check your owner's manual for the 60K maintenance schedule.

^ If you can get all that for $250, I think we should all drive to your dealer. Your lucky to get plugs, wires, air filter, and oil change for $250.

But yeah, follow the manual like shaker1 says. It's all outlined in there. You may need nothing?

I know its not an explorer, but its an 06 ford with the same 4.0 sohc ( our mustang).

at 70k I did the following for its tune up..

Oil/filter
Plugs/wires
Trans fluid (manual trans)
fuel filter
Diff fluid (rear, since its only 2wd)
air filter (that gets changed every 6 months anyway)
Checked brakes (Changed rears since they needed it).
checked all fluid

We are coming on on its 140k miles tune up..
I'll do all the same things And change the coolant
I "might" do the brake fluid and clutch fluid flush. I'm looking for that test paper to tell me if it has water in it.

~Mark

You're getting all your plugs and wires replaced for $250? I've been having mis-firing problems with my v8 over the past few months, and the dealership has been charging me a little over $100 to do 1 plug with coil and wires. Sounds like I'm getting ripped off...

It doesn't sound right all that at $250 from a dealer. Plugs alone cost about $8 a piece. The belt will prolly cost $40-$50, fuel filter $10, and air filter $15-$25.

You're getting all your plugs and wires replaced for $250? I've been having mis-firing problems with my v8 over the past few months, and the dealership has been charging me a little over $100 to do 1 plug with coil and wires. Sounds like I'm getting ripped off...

If they are replacing the coil pack $100 is very fair. The V8's do not have plug wires. An aftermarket coil assembly is $50 to $75 plus labor... FYI if you know which cylinder is mis-firing you can replace the coil pack yourself in 5 minutes, all you need is an 8mm wrench or socket.

My dealer told me just for labor for plugs and wires is like 2.5 hrs which turns out to 180 dollars.

OP has a 4.0L V6.

The major headache with plugs is on the 4.6L V8 (3-valve Triton family). For spark plug replacement on any of the Triton V8's (4.6L or 5.4L in the bigger trucks), Ford will quote you extra labor in case the break a plug. This requires more time and special extractor tools to finish the job. On average, I guess they break 1/3-1/2 of the plugs, so they quote accordingly. The extractor tool is only good for some many uses before it's worn out, so that adds to the cost, too.

Ask the dealer to be sure they are quoting correct labor for the V6, not the V8. And yes, you should always ask the dealer what they are doing. We can't tell you if it's a good deal if you don't know what's included.

For anyone considering letting the dealer change the plugs on your V8, you may consider asking the dealer if they will reduce the cost if it takes less than their standard time. Probably not, but you can ask.

I got my plugs changed at around 73,000 miles with none broken. And it only cost $140.

My Explorer has 124K on it and the original plugs/wires. Was considering getting them replaced along with other servicing recommended in the manual for 120K miles. Haven't had any engine problems, wheel bearings .... another issue entirely.

Hello,

2006 explorer XLT V6, 4.0

I am also considering changing the plugs myself. If I remember I can see 5 plus and are easy to get to from above. Have to find the 6th.

I have heard about the plugs breaking, but I do not think that applies to my model, can some just confirm that for me.

Also, how do I know if I have 2 valve or 3 valve.

Thank you.

the 3v is only the 4.6l and 5.4l after something like 2005 all the 4.0's "sohc and ohv" were 2v per cylinder.... so if you have a 2006 4.6l explorer then it is a 3v engine... but you said 4.0l so its not... I did not look too much into my 2007 plugs but on my 2nd gen all the drivers side can be done from top and all the passenger plugs were done from bottom after you removed the wheel well splash guard it was so easy I also did a 1997 ranger just for fun after doing my explorer.... I would think 3rd and 4th gen would be the same... but plugs last pretty long these days... pull the back passenger plug and if this one is fouled or worn change them all because this plug is the one that takes the worst beating because of the slant and tilt of the engine under load if this plug looks pristine you will be commonly wasting your time... and dont forget anti-seize on the plugs.... the ones I did on the 1997 ranger were stock plugs at 120k miles and they were perfect but I found the double plat autolites on clearance for something like $2 a pair so I said ill do it anyway for my brother... the ones on my explorer couldn't tell if they were stock but at 150k miles the one kept fouling out every 5k miles so I swapped out all 6 and the one that kept going bad died 3 more times and problem didn't come back but now that engine died so I bought the 2007... plugs have been know to take 200k these days with all the computer controls

Hello,

2006 explorer XLT V6, 4.0

I am also considering changing the plugs myself. If I remember I can see 5 plus and are easy to get to from above. Have to find the 6th.

I have heard about the plugs breaking, but I do not think that applies to my model, can some just confirm that for me.

Also, how do I know if I have 2 valve or 3 valve.

Thank you.

Just did the plugs on my 06 4.0 at 70K miles. The passenger bank is accessible via the wheel well with the wheel removed. The drivers side from above (gap is .052 - .056). A little anti-seize on the threads make the new ones thread in much easier. a couple different size extensions and a universal helps.

The OEM plugs are platinum. The drivers side on mine were pretty worn, with the electrodes rounded and the gap quite wide. I never wait until 100K to change plugs. My OEM plugs had paint marks on top (white on pass side, red on drivers side FWIW).

I'd like to add that when I posted (post #2 ) what I would do at 60K, it was not what I expected the dealer to do for $250, rather the tasks and inspections I would have done or do myself. I do my own maintenance and repairs.

Thank you! I will take your suggestions:thumbsup:

Also my radiator fan is always on, is this right or should it only kick on when the engine gets hot?

Thanks again changed 1 plug, having a hard time removing the wire on the passengers side back one.

Thank you.

Also my radiator fan is always on, is this right or should it only kick on when the engine gets hot?

Thanks again changed 1 plug, having a hard time removing the wire on the passengers side back one.

Thank you.

as soon as I turn the truck on the radiator fan goes on, is this right? I was thinking there is a sensor and it should go on after the car gets hot?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the fan is always on.... the clutch engages when the temps get high but i think it always engages during start up as a check of some sort well mine does but then spins down until it is hot.... with the price of a replacement if mine ever dies I am adding an electric fan because it would be way cheaper

Back