Frame Mounted Trailer Hitches | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frame Mounted Trailer Hitches

Since the factory bumpers on Explorers is inherently weak, often and easily bent by overloading, a trailer hitch is vital.

There are several options, many brands and styles.

Round Tube?

Square?

Rectangular?

Full Size Spare or Not?

I have seen some really poorly made ones, that hang way down from the bumper and look terrible. I had a round tube that was contoured with the bumper, then upgraded to a DrawTite that had a heavier rating.

The best site that I have found so far has been www.etrailer.com, they have every style available and a nice web site.

I would like people's opinions and experiences with fame hitches so others can see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was looking for a Class III/IV hitch I came across hitchdepotusa.com and was amazed at their prices. I later bought one from them and was very pleased with the install and the quality of the workmanship, of course the price also was a desiding factor. After taking delivery and see their produce I can see why any compeditor should be very worried. And for those of us living in Canada they ship from Missisauga, Ontario and in the USA from all over the place, darn near every state has a warehouse in it. And free shipping, although I don't know how long this will be in effect, is sure looked like it was their normal deal when I bought mine hitch. I needed a weight transfer hitch that could handle my self-dumping dandom axles trailer and the stock class I hitch just wasn't going to cut it. I only run from my house to the local landfill with old building matterial that I can't burn in the wood stove, so most of it is bulky and of little or low weight. I lucked out with my 91 Explorer it has a 4.10 limited slip rear end with an Atlas II transfer case, so I don't think I have to worry very much about the drive train.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just bought a 2004 Explorer Limited V8 and it came with that small factory receiver hitch. I need to replace it with a 2 inch receiver. I checked with the local Ford Stealership and they quoted me $768 for the Factory 2" receiver. Must be made out of gold or platinum so that option is out. I would like it to follow the same "built into the rear bumper" style of the original and it has to allow the spare tire mount. I have seen some Explorer Limiteds of the same vintage with 2" factory recievers and that's what I would like to wind up with.

Talk about over priced

Just bought a 2004 Explorer Limited V8 and it came with that small factory receiver hitch. I need to replace it with a 2 inch receiver. I checked with the local Ford Stealership and they quoted me $768 for the Factory 2" receiver. Must be made out of gold or platinum so that option is out. I would like it to follow the same "built into the rear bumper" style of the original and it has to allow the spare tire mount. I have seen some Explorer Limiteds of the same vintage with 2" factory recievers and that's what I would like to wind up with.

Holy crap, $768 tha't a rediculous, go to Uhaul they'll install a hitch and wire it with a brake controller and everything for about $350, even that is a bit on the high side as well. Coming from a Stealer that doesn't surprise me, I called to get a price for parking brake lever for my 2000 F-150 and was quoted $250, went to a wreching yard and got one for $10.

Did a little more Internet digging hoping to find a more "Reasonably Priced Source" with no luck. However, on Fleabay I did notice something when I did a General Ford Receiver Hitch Search. Quite a few of the other model factory ford hitches of the same vintage (2002 - 2005) as my 2004 Exploder (Sport Trac/Edge/etc.) had exploded parts views that you could zoom in on and that's when I noticed something, i.e., the actual Part Number of the Hitch Only -- 19D520. I then double checked the specific Ford Part number for my 2004 Exploder (2L2Z-19D520-AA) and zoomed onto the exploded parts view and sure enough, the actual hitch member was 19D520.

That seemed too good to be true, is Ford really using the same 2 inch receiver hitch member for a lot of different but similar models???? And the only real differences are Nuts, Bolts, Electrical Connectors, Etc., and then Ford sells different "Kits" for vastly/inflated prices with the 19D520 Hitch Member. If so, then I can screw Ford by cross referencing all of the Hitch Kits (or Salvage Yard Sources) that have 19D520 and use my existing parts of the 1.25 inch receiver. Am I correct??? If so, I can save enough bucks to pay for the Roadmaster Toad Brackets on the front end. :D

:D hapy as a clam as they say, scored a Ford Factory 2" Receiver Hitch outta a 2002 Eddie Bauer, $71 with all fasteners. Going to drive about 65 miles and pick it up tomorrow morning.

well..

i havent had a chance to use this yet but this is the hitch on mine, it is from the stock tow package, previous owner used it fairly often and said it worked fine, ill have to ask him about the class and capacity.
man i gotta rip that thing off and repaint it...
dscf0040vr.jpg

i havent had a chance to use this yet but this is the hitch on mine, it is from the stock tow package, previous owner used it fairly often and said it worked fine, ill have to ask him about the class and capacity.
man i gotta rip that thing off and repaint it...
Looks like a Reese Class 3 5000 (minus rust)pound unit.

01 Explorer Sport trac class 3 hitch

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I am hoping to find some helpful answers to problems with my truck. I recently found a new hitch online for $40 and was wondering if it will fit on my 01 explorer sport trac. It is a draw tite max frame receiver. Under the applications information on draw tites website, it says the hitch is for explorers and explorer sports 1991-2003, but does not list the sport trac. If I buy this hitch, will I be able to fit it to my sport trac or will I have problems mounting it? If there is a way that I can make it fit on my sport trac I would prefer to do it that way and only have to spend $40 as opposed to $150+. Thanks in advance for any replies and so far, this forum is awesome!

'99 specific tow hitch receiver?

I went to a scrap yard to see if they had any Explorers I could take a receiver off of. The guy I dealt with said that the '99 has a specific hitch and i couldn't get one off other years. That sounds odd, especially since going to manufacturer websites and seeing otherwise. I finally found the style I want that is on a '98. Can someone clarify for me? Getting tired of having to switch the ball on my bumper when I haul different trailers.

I went to a scrap yard to see if they had any Explorers I could take a receiver off of. The guy I dealt with said that the '99 has a specific hitch and i couldn't get one off other years. That sounds odd, especially since going to manufacturer websites and seeing otherwise. I finally found the style I want that is on a '98. Can someone clarify for me? Getting tired of having to switch the ball on my bumper when I haul different trailers.

You should be able to use a 1991 Explorer hitch on your 99, the 1991 to 2001 have the same bumper holes in the frame. There might be a slight difference in some minor way, but nothing that will stop anyone from swapping bumpers and hitches from those models.

That's what I wanted to hear. Guy only wants $20 bucks and it's the round tube style.

That's what I wanted to hear. Guy only wants $20 bucks and it's the round tube style.

That's a great deal. I'm going to look for another one for my 99 soon too.

Hitch Mount Too Narrow

Tried mounting a CURT #13540 round tube class 3 to my 98 Eddie. No go. Hitch inside span is 41 and 1/8 inches whereas frame outer span is 42. Is the CURT actually wrong or is my frame whooper-jawed? Under vehicle looks good with no damage. Just wondering if this is unique to CURT hitches or is it my frame.

Tried mounting a CURT #13540 round tube class 3 to my 98 Eddie. No go. Hitch inside span is 41 and 1/8 inches whereas frame outer span is 42. Is the CURT actually wrong or is my frame whooper-jawed? Under vehicle looks good with no damage. Just wondering if this is unique to CURT hitches or is it my frame.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433715

Maybe someone else will chime in. I'd check your body mount bolts in the rear hatch area for any evidence of the frame moving around.

Recently purchased a Reese Receiver # 37041, round tube style for my 1994 4X4 XLT. It is a multi unit hitch that works on many vehicles. Rated as Class III/IV. Purchased it with discount for $179.99. It appeared to have been in the store for many years. I think they were glad to get rid of it finally from stock. The box had 2007 written on it. Easy fit with the help of a jack to hold it as I drilled two 1/2" holes in frame rail. Eight bolts hold it to the vehicle. Full size spare fits easily. Only complaint I have, is it didn't quite line up exactly under the bumper hole, about 3/8" to one side. I loosened it up to try to center it and retighten but it would not center. May be an issue with the bumper and not the frame. Attached solidly to the frame now. The receiver also has a bit of play in it with the 2 inch Reese bar /1 7/8" ball I bought to pull a light weight trailer. Overall I like the hitch and am pleased with the purchase. Plan on buying a 5X8 cargo trailer in near future and didn't want to pull it from the bumper.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9133006/00840/1994/FORD/EXPLORER/0/V6-245%20%204.0L%20OHV

Just to close this out. The frame rails were bent out at the bottom. Combination of sledge hammer and spreading the hitch's mount tabs I got it to sort of fit. Re drilled a frame hole and all is good and solid.

Hey, I realize this is an old thread, but hoping to get a response, I'm trying to find a hitch that will sit at the height that the stock bumper is at, has anyone done this? Are there any approved ways to modify a hitch?

Hey, I realize this is an old thread, but hoping to get a response, I'm trying to find a hitch that will sit at the height that the stock bumper is at, has anyone done this? Are there any approved ways to modify a hitch?
There’s never an approved way to modify a hitch. They are all snickered no cutting, no welding. That being said, I see no reason a hitch couldn’t be bolted directly to the inside of the c-channel, as opposed to the bottom of it.

Pin it with the same size hardware. Grade 8, or metric 10.9. For piece of mind I’d put a triangular plate on the other side of the frame and pin it through that. I’d stitch the plate to the frame, but that’s probably overkill.

Back