Lamp Out Module fixed easily! THX!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lamp Out Module fixed easily! THX!!

Informative posts on this board have recently helped me to perform an easy fix on my 1997 Eddie Bauer.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I thought that the driver's side low beam headlight filament had burned out, because the low beam light would not come on and the message center gave us the "CHECK HEAD LAMPS" message. So I dutifully went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a new set of headlights, and proceeded to replace the current bulbs with the new ones. Only, the new driver's side bulb didn't correct the problem! After switching the positions of the bulbs, however, I was able to verify that neither the new nor the old bulbs had actaully been burned out--instead, it was as if the driver's side headlight was simply not getting power in the low beam mode.

After doing a search on this forum and the 1995-2001 Explorer forums and looking at a number of posts dealing with the "Lamps Out Module" or the LOM--many of which had been posted by other 1997 Eddie Bauer owners--I quickly suspected that my LOM was malfunctioning. Sure enough, after looking at it, I noticed that one of the solders where the female end of the wiring harness pins were connected to the LOM circuit board had fractured. I took out the soldering iron and re-soldered that pin to the circuit board, re-installed the LOM in its protective casing, re-connected the message center computer and reassembled the center console, and the driver's side low beam worked again!!

Very quick fix, and very easy to do as long as the re-soldering is carried out carefully. Total time to fix was less than 30 minutes. Anyone else having this problem with their 1995-2001 Explorers, just search the Forums for posts dealing with "LOM" or "Lamp Out Module" and you'll find plenty of info on how to get at the LOM and how to fix it.

Just thought I'd share the good results. Thanks to all those other second gen Explorer owners who posted about this problem and how to fix it!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm glad to hear of your good fortune with this board...it has saved many of us lot's of money and time with it's seemingly endless supply of stored knowledge of our vehicles...i know you must be walking around with the same big grin we all get...:D

:thumbsup: Another happy Explorer Forum guy.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info ghh97ed. This could help the next guy in a search.

Lom...

I have the same problem with the d.s. low beam on my 1996 E.B. Explorer. I even went to the same store and went through the same routine with the lamps. Anyway, I will be pulling out the LOM and inspect it for bad solder joints. I accessed that area last week and tried using a multi-meter on it. I am not too strong with my electrical troubleshooting abilities, so I am definitely going to try a visual. Hopefully, I will have the same luck you did. Thanks for your description of the fix, I am sure it will help.

Anyone know of a schematic for this module???

LOM Fixed...

Thanks to all who posted their info about this problem. I repaired my LOM in a matter of less than 30 minutes, that includes re-installation. I had a similar problem with my left side low-beam not working on my '96 Explorer, E.B. I went through the typical routine of swapping and changing lamps, and checking fuses a few weeks ago without any success.

I figure it was a good time to look into this matter deeper since it is snowing like crazy outside. After reading some posts in this particular thread a few days ago, I finally decided to remove and do an inspection of the LOM using my magnifying glass w/light. I quickly, and I do mean quickly, found a slight brown spot on the backside of the board. I then looked at the solder joint of that particular area and found the solder had given way 360 degrees from the pin. I carefully re-soldered the area and re-installed the LOM.

Everything works great and it saved me about 70 dollars. Nice timing, because Christmas is here and I haven't finished spending money on the wife!!! ;)

Thank you all and Happy Holidays.

I had the same symptoms on my 1995 Limiited. The passenger low beam would not turn ON. I removed the LOM, inspected it, and immediately noticed that a through-hole solder point leading from the harness connector to the board was burnt through. This type of damage only happens when too much current is run through the connection, therefore heating up the soldered connection to a point that it melts/burns away. I resoldered the connection, reinstalled the LOM, and the passenger low beam works now. Thanks for leading me in the right direction. I had already rebuilt the driving lights selector switch and turn signal/high/low beam switch.

Just want to thank everyone that contributed to the "right headlight out" threads. I had the problem in my '97 Eddie Bauer and my Chilton's didn't have a diagram showing the LOM. With your help, the problem was solved in about 20 minutes.
Thanks again,
Tony Corradi

Can anyone guide me on how to access this thing?

FIXED! The lamp out module connector was a little loose. I just pressed it in after accessing, and the low beams came on. I'm going to see how it goes, or if something doesn't need to be done to keep it working.

Hi Jflorida.
Just get your fingernails under the console trim edge and pull up. The whole thing comes out in your hands. The LOM module is on the passenger side in the console, held in by two screws..need a short phillips screwdriver. Don't drop the screws, they can be difficult to find.
Tony Corradi

Thanks!

You guys are awesome for posting this fix. I, like most of you, went on the rabbit trail of replacing bulbs, checking fuses, switching bulbs, switching fuses, replacing multi switch (needed it anyway). Sure enough, the LOM just needed a little solder. Voila. Hardest part of the fix was those stupid little screws holding the LOM to the console.

Worked for me as well, Thanks Guys

Lom
OK, couldn't wait so I put a heater in the truck, ran a trouble light out, pulled the console apart and took out the LOM just like you all told me to. Pulled it apart. found two pins that the soldier looked a little iffy on so I resoldiered them and put it back into the 85 exploder. IT WORKS! Both Headlights back on, no more warning and fog lights work again! Thanks to all of you.

LOL, only on Explorer forum. I was thinking this over at 11:30PM, snowing out, which rare for this part of Canada (SERIOUSLY, 4mm is actually rare in Vancouver this year, it'll be gone in two days though), and I figure 'what the hell, the bulb didn't work, the Ford service manual says check the LOM pinout for continuity...hmmm.' Threw on shoes and now it's 12:01AM, my low beams work, my FOG light started working and , as Tbar4 said, I'm walking around with that grin now. Oh how I thank thee, let me count the money saved!

Only on Explorer Forum...wow, my hat is tipped, my glass is raised!

LOL, only on Explorer forum. I was thinking this over at 11:30PM, snowing out, which rare for this part of Canada (SERIOUSLY, 4mm is actually rare in Vancouver this year, it'll be gone in two days though), and I figure 'what the hell, the bulb didn't work, the Ford service manual says check the LOM pinout for continuity...hmmm.' Threw on shoes and now it's 12:01AM, my low beams work, my FOG light started working and , as Tbar4 said, I'm walking around with that grin now. Oh how I thank thee, let me count the money saved!

Only on Explorer Forum...wow, my hat is tipped, my glass is raised!

A Really Good way to say thanks is to move up to be an Elite Explorer Member.:D

Just a thought.....;)

Happy you found the info you needed.

Fixed LOM

Great info I spent hours tring to fix the issue till I found this thread. I found the LOM and indeed it was burnt. I soldered the unit and reinstalled and only my driver's side headlamp illuminated. Dissapointing. I found out after I bought it that someone had spliced the passenger side lamp's power into the driver's side. I assume he didn't find this site. :) Anyhow I reattached the drivers headlamp and now it works. Passenger doesn't any thoughts...

Thanks to all

I had the same problem on my '95 Eddie Bauer. After spending hours tracing and testing wires and connections, I was out of airspeed and altitude...then on a whim I googled the problem and you guys appeared (the internet is a wonderful thing). Just as suggested, it was a loose soldered connection on the circuit board in the "lamp outage module" inside the console. You folks saved my sanity! This website is going to the top of my "Favorites" as I plan on keeping this thing a long time. Thanks again.

Great info I spent hours tring to fix the issue till I found this thread. I found the LOM and indeed it was burnt. I soldered the unit and reinstalled and only my driver's side headlamp illuminated. Dissapointing. I found out after I bought it that someone had spliced the passenger side lamp's power into the driver's side. I assume he didn't find this site. :) Anyhow I reattached the drivers headlamp and now it works. Passenger doesn't any thoughts...

Just dealt with this last night and am trying to find the module online. And it's funny, I changed out my grille today and seen the wire spliced from passenger's side to driver's side.

Please help

Im having the same issue with my 1998 Explorer. The driver side low beam is out. I replaced the bulb and still, the low beam is out. I popped open the center console to check LOM and there isn't one there. I learned that they stopped putting them in these models. What do i do now? Also, i checked some fuses but not sure which fuse could be the culprit. I checked every fuse that had something to do with the headlamps. Please help. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FIXED! The lamp out module connector was a little loose. I just pressed it in after accessing, and the low beams came on. I'm going to see how it goes, or if something doesn't need to be done to keep it working.

Same problem and solution here. '97 Eddie showed all of the symptoms described. Removed module, could not detect any burnt solder connections. Re-attached connector plug and now working lights. I would try the connector jiggle before going after those pesky little screws

Back