Autocross with the Explorer

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hey, I was wondering if anyone did any autocross with an Explorer/ Explorer Sport? My friend suggested I go autocrossing with him this weekend in my Explorer, but I'd think it'd be a bad idea because I don't think an SUV would handle well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use to run tech at SCCA autoxes. I wouldn't let you run.

Long duration corners on a road course it would be fine, but the quick back and forth transitions on an autox course: too big of a liability.

Don't expect to be allowed. No SUV's whats so ever here. And my Spark can't race either because it's to tall for it's width.

Totally depends on who's running/sponsoring the event. Every year here at the Portland International Raceway we have autocross and our Explorers would be welcome any time. Like someone else said, the quick transitions of a tight course wouldn't be conducive to our Xsports. But, who cares? As long as you have fun, right? And what better way to get familiar with what your SUV will and won't do than by trial and error on a closed course? My guess is that the first thing you'll notice is that our brakes fade very quickly unless you have the Police Interceptor brake package.

Tony

LOL. This brought back memories.

We had a Chevy Step Van we allowed to run at a night event one time! It lost a box of nails out the back door about halfway through the course, and that spelled the end of the evening.:D

As you may have already guessed, it was not a "normal" autocross event, but a club event, the Halloween Classic, or something like that. Last event of the season, and after we got all the serious runs in, it was "run what you brung" time.

Man, that was a great, fun, night.

Back