• Register Today It's free!

transfer case stuck

aussiechick

Reaction score
City, State
australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
hi i have ford explorer 99 model we got backyard mech to look at our clutch and he replaced it and new master cyl while he was trying to bleed it he was playing with auto 4 high and low switch now apprently it was making awlful nosies instead of stopping he was trying to get it out of one of them gears now the car is stuck in 4 high or low he took apart transshift motor lost a spring and replaced that and there is a big chip inside the shift motor the car says that its stuck in 4 high when you try and get it out its says its out of high but its not, its not grinding like he said it was but its stuck .
i have orderd a new shift motor but worried that its stuck in 4 high that it might damage it is there away of getting it out of 4 high ect or am i going to have to replace the transfer case this has turned out to be a very expencive exersie as he said new clucth the clutch was fine it was master the whole time and now the transfer case stuck which wasnt a problem before i think next time i will take it ford as they know these cars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a quick simple check: Lay underneath and unplug the large connector that the transfer case shift motor and transfer case connect to. The lights *should* start blinking, but the 4 wheel drive will be disengaged until you can get the motor replaced.

I suspect you had nothing wrong with any of it to start with. He should never have removed the shift motor for a 4wd engagement issue to start with. He's clearly not familiar with the system and how it works.

-Joe

Here's a quick simple check: Lay underneath and unplug the large connector that the transfer case shift motor and transfer case connect to. The lights *should* start blinking, but the 4 wheel drive will be disengaged until you can get the motor replaced.

I suspect you had nothing wrong with any of it to start with. He should never have removed the shift motor for a 4wd engagement issue to start with. He's clearly not familiar with the system and how it works.

-Joe

thanks joe no he had no idea i have shift motor on way from america but that will get me out of trouble in the mean time thanks heaps i dont really know much about mechanics but i no i never had a problem with the 4 wheel drive part till he touch it thanks

Start by disconnecting the connector as I mentioned. If the problem goes away, then we have an electrical problem we need to find. If the problem persists with the transfer case unplugged, then we have a mechanical issue with the transfer case.

Let us know what you find.

-Joe

and don't let him touch your truck ever again!

take shift motor apart? loose parts? what kind of mechanic is that?

I had similar problem not too long ago with my now former 98 - the only way to disconnect the 4Hi was to plug-in a computer and clear all codes... problem was electronic within the modules - not shift motor.

and don't let him touch your truck ever again!

take shift motor apart? loose parts? what kind of mechanic is that?

I had similar problem not too long ago with my now former 98 - the only way to disconnect the 4Hi was to plug-in a computer and clear all codes... problem was electronic within the modules - not shift motor.

hi yes unplugged it and nothing happend at all lights didnt flash and still stuck :( so its ganna be a big problem i dont intend letting him touch it again

Start by disconnecting the connector as I mentioned. If the problem goes away, then we have an electrical problem we need to find. If the problem persists with the transfer case unplugged, then we have a mechanical issue with the transfer case.

Let us know what you find.

-Joe

hi joe yes i unplugged it and nothing lights didnt flash and its still stuck in 4 wd :( so this is going to be a bigger problem :(

I just realized you were in Australia... On the switch for your 4wd, does it say 'Auto/4high/4low' or does it say 2wd/4high/4low? I'm wondering if they may have used a different transfer case on the export models...

And can you explain a little further what you mean by 'stuck in 4high?'

-Joe

I just realized you were in Australia... On the switch for your 4wd, does it say 'Auto/4high/4low' or does it say 2wd/4high/4low? I'm wondering if they may have used a different transfer case on the export models...

And can you explain a little further what you mean by 'stuck in 4high?'

-Joe

hi joe yes i am in australia!!!
and its says auto 4high and low

hi joe yes i am in australia!!!
and its says auto 4high and low

hi joe yes its stuck in 4 high or low as when you go to drive its lucky to do 60 ks and its revin like its in one of them gears when you flick the switch it take it out its says its out but its not changeing would that be shift motor or transfercase stuck the mech said it was makin alwful noises but its not now

OK, so if I'm understanding correctly, the drivetrain acts as though it's in 4low (engine RPMs rev high in overdrive) even though the indicator lights on the instrument panel indicate that it's in 4high or 4auto, correct?

Are you familiar with the proper procedure for shifting in and out of low range? You must be stopped, with your foot on the brakes, and in your case, have the clutch pedal pushed in, then flip the switch to 4low. Once 4low is engaged, repeat the procedure to shift back into 4high/4auto.

I suspect that when the mechanic was playing with it, they got the shift out of sequence, released the clutch too early with the transmission in gear while the transfer case was between gears making the shift, and the gears in the transfer case made a grinding noise. Not good for the t-case, but it probably didn't destroy it.

The place I would start here is first, reset the system by removing the battery cable for 20 minutes or so, then reconnecting. Turn the key on but don't start the engine, and see what the dash lights say. If it says you're back in 4auto (no lights) then you should be all set. The system got out of whack and didn't know what was going on. resetting it sometimes works.

If it shows you're in 4high/4auto, but still acts like it's in 4low, the next place to look is at the transfer case. You'll want to remove the shift motor and physically look at the shift rail on the transfer case to see where it's positioned and, therefore, which range it has selected. It should be pointing towards 4high which will be stamped on the housing. (There are some pictures on here of what that should look like, but I can't seem to find them right now)

If it's not pointing in the proper direction, make sure you securely chock the vehicle's wheels, and set the parking brake, then turn the key on, place the transmission in neutral, and you should be able to manually turn the shift rail shaft back to the 4high position. The motor should now reinstall and have the proper position selected. However, I would double-check its function with the motor off. It should ONLY move when going from 4high to 4low and back. When shifting from 4auto to 4high, it will not move.

Make sense?

-Joe

p.s. If you want me to lend a hand, I'd be happy to... you buy, I'll fly! ;)

OK, so if I'm understanding correctly, the drivetrain acts as though it's in 4low (engine RPMs rev high in overdrive) even though the indicator lights on the instrument panel indicate that it's in 4high or 4auto, correct?

Are you familiar with the proper procedure for shifting in and out of low range? You must be stopped, with your foot on the brakes, and in your case, have the clutch pedal pushed in, then flip the switch to 4low. Once 4low is engaged, repeat the procedure to shift back into 4high/4auto.

I suspect that when the mechanic was playing with it, they got the shift out of sequence, released the clutch too early with the transmission in gear while the transfer case was between gears making the shift, and the gears in the transfer case made a grinding noise. Not good for the t-case, but it probably didn't destroy it.

The place I would start here is first, reset the system by removing the battery cable for 20 minutes or so, then reconnecting. Turn the key on but don't start the engine, and see what the dash lights say. If it says you're back in 4auto (no lights) then you should be all set. The system got out of whack and didn't know what was going on. resetting it sometimes works.

If it shows you're in 4high/4auto, but still acts like it's in 4low, the next place to look is at the transfer case. You'll want to remove the shift motor and physically look at the shift rail on the transfer case to see where it's positioned and, therefore, which range it has selected. It should be pointing towards 4high which will be stamped on the housing. (There are some pictures on here of what that should look like, but I can't seem to find them right now)

If it's not pointing in the proper direction, make sure you securely chock the vehicle's wheels, and set the parking brake, then turn the key on, place the transmission in neutral, and you should be able to manually turn the shift rail shaft back to the 4high position. The motor should now reinstall and have the proper position selected. However, I would double-check its function with the motor off. It should ONLY move when going from 4high to 4low and back. When shifting from 4auto to 4high, it will not move.

Make sense?

-Joe

p.s. If you want me to lend a hand, I'd be happy to... you buy, I'll fly! ;)

thanks joe yes it makes sense and yes i am aware about foot on clutch and brake i did tell the backyard mech and i reakon he was trying to move it in and out with out it thanks i give that a go and let you know thanks again

hi joe

hi i got my transfershift motor now it looks the same but the sensor wires arent on it i emailed the guy and he said i have to transfer the wires from old one to the new would that sound right ???
i also pulled old one off now i can change the transfer case back to auto or 4 low and high but the shift motor is stuck so i reakon once i sort out if i have the right one or not as the senors wire not on this one !! i reakon it will fix my problem wat do u think

Back