• Register Today It's free!

Info on Speedometer bounce

efmoyer

Reaction score
City, State
Myerstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
I'm writing this just to share my experience with this problem and hopefully help someone

Problem:
96 Explorer: Speedometer slowly gets the bounce. First noticed it in higher gears shifting back and forth. After awhile the bounce gets worse, then transmission isn't sure when to shift. (Since the computer uses the speed sensor to know how fast the truck is moving) Sometimes stays in higher gear at a dead stop. Eventually, the speedometer does hardly anything and transmission has no clue what to do, pretty much undrivable, unless you shift manually and stay away from the highways.

Fix:
1. Started out by changing the speed sensor. (no change)
2. Pulled speed sensor out of transfer case leaving wires attached, removed plastic gear from sensor and attached cordless drill and ran the drill while the ignition is on. (NOT STARTED) Found that the speedometer worked nice and smooth. That eliminated the console and wiring. Only 1 thing left.
3. Changed gear in the transfer case that drives the speed sensor. (Change both plastic gears right away.)

Runs like a top.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

speed sensor

Does the 92 have this speed sensor thing? My speedometer was going kinds crazy during really cold weather this winter, but went to relatively normal until recently. Now it's starting to act up again.

efmoyer said:
3. Changed gear in the transfer case that drives the speed sensor. (Change both plastic gears right away.)

Runs like a top.

You changed the gear in the transfer case too?
The one on the speed sensor seems easy enough, but how did you change the (brass?) one inside the case?

Clint

jumping speedo fix

hey guys i have a 95 explorer and have the same prob a few of my boys that own a tranny shop told me that there is a speed sensor in the axle also and there is an exciter ring in there with it if that is broken it can cause this prob its the only thing i can think of, i already replaced my ecu both speed sensors transfer case and axle and my gauge cluster so basically it became a process of elimination i yet have to fix the exciter ring thing i really havent found the time to take care of it but its my last hope and im prayin that it works cuz that bouncin speedo is pissin me off.

I have the same problem. I replaced the peed sensor and it didn't change much. In the process of replacing the speedometer. If that doesn't help I will change the gears, but as asked below..how do you change the gear inside the transfer case?

Easy fix

Gents I spent hundreds of dollars on this problem... its been to the tranny shop, I replaced the sensor many times, the ECU and even the gsuge cluster and what finally worked is cleaning the harness that plugs into the sensor with electrical cleaner. Try it you have nothing to lose

the harness? can you break that down for the mechanically impaired,please, cause my 92 bauer is bouncing and undrivable,and i don't have any money to throw at it.

Welcome to this forum! He's referring to the plug for the vehicle speed sensor. Here's a picture of it:
vss-connector.jpg

Speedometer Bounce

Yeah thats the wire harness, just unpkug it and spray electrical cleaner inside it and the part that recieves the plug on the sensor. You should be all good. PLease post your findings afterward to help others. Thanks hope it works for you.

I have the bounce and my car feels like there is something banging, dragging, almost like it wants to go into 4 wheel drive. I have a 96 v6. Any advice would be appreciated. Often when the banging occurs, the bouncing is happening as the same time.

Yeah thats the wire harness, just unpkug it and spray electrical cleaner inside it and the part that recieves the plug on the sensor. You should be all good. PLease post your findings afterward to help others. Thanks hope it works for you.

put 12 v electrical grease in this connector after you repair it. It keeps out moisture.

More Questions on speedometer bounce

Hi,

I recently had to swap out the transfercase on my '96 Explorer with a used one from a salvage yard. Everything works great except for the speedometer. I first noticed that it was slow to 'pick-up' between 0-20mph but then it started fluctuating wildly at high speeds as well. I replaced the sending unit with the one from my old tcase (it didn't have the problem) but the problem still persists. It currently "chews" through speedo gears about once a month and of course speed control and shifting are whacked!

I put my finger up in the hole for the sensor and noticed that I could spin the internal gear with my finger which seems a little odd to me. I looked at the pictures of the internals of the tcase on another post and it looks like there are bearings on the inside of the internal gear. Are these supposed to allow the gear to turn or are they supposed to fit into a detent on the shaft?

Thanks for any help,

DennisSt

Back