• Register Today It's free!

Window won't go up.

HOOB

Reaction score
City, State
cypress ca,
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt 4x4
I have a 94 explorer xlt v6 My drivers window will not roll up could this be fuse if the other windows work I dont know if the motor has gone out but it had not began to slow down or any thing yet and I think it is getting power to the switch because when I push the switch the volts meter on the dash goes down a little also the door ajar alarm bell goes off alot and I have to slam the door hard to get it to shut off could these be related problems where do I start

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 97 X that the pass. side window went down but would not go back up.
Now this was years ago and I took the door panel off and found out that the switch that makes it go up reverses the polarity, what was neg is now positive and makes the electric motor turn the other way causing the window to go up.
So you might want to check the switch.
For a quick fix to go up I ran a temp wires from a batt. to the motor and reversed the connections. Never did get a new switch cause I got rid of it a few days later.

Thanks Ill give it a go

yeah try to get new bushings for the motor. or could be the switch is it moving up at all like it tries but doesnt make it or does the motor engage at all? i did the regulator on my aunts town car but i didnt use lock washers on the mounts now it doesnt move properly anymore gotta redo it

i just had the same problem i went to advanced auto bought bushings and greese for 12 bucks cheap fix eh

I have a 94 explorer xlt v6 My drivers window will not roll up could this be fuse if the other windows work I dont know if the motor has gone out but it had not began to slow down or any thing yet and I think it is getting power to the switch because when I push the switch the volts meter on the dash goes down a little also the door ajar alarm bell goes off alot and I have to slam the door hard to get it to shut off could these be related problems where do I start

Before buying anything. I would first purchase a test light to see if you have power to the switch and then to the motor in the door. If there's power to the motor then then window motor more than likely may have gone bad.

If there isn't any power to the switch as stated above check the door harness for frayed of broken wires between the door and body of the truck.

I finally got around to checking into my passensger window that one day went up and that was that! Took a test light and tested power at the switch and the power was there, so then I switch switches from my drivers door to test the switch and work like it was suppose so they I knew it wasn't the switch. then tested at the wire connector/harness that goes to the window motor and found it funny as when you push up power goes through one side and when you push down it goes through the other side like rookieshooter was saying........so that being said I believe its the window motor for me........damn this really wasn't in my plans 1ATony I'll be calling you soon!

9 times out of 10 (and this is typical with older Fords with power windows) it is the bushings in the motor. I get the "clunk, clunk, clunk" with the fronts when I go to work them down. From my Mustang experience I immediately knew what it was and got me some bushings. Have fun getting three new ones in AND the cover back on.

Well I bought a new motor for my passenger door on ebay and was only a lil over $30 and before pulling the entire regulator out I tested the new motor and now I assume its a wiring problem. Just like 6-7 yeras ago when the window last went up I find the same problem persist with even a new motor plugged in. The motor works when pushing the up button but not down at all and another downer is the controls won't work for the window at all at the drivers door...... Before taking this to the shop anybody knows what I need to or should do? I must note that I used a test light and had power coming out of both sides of the connecter when pushing up and down.....

My window issue on my 94 Explorer was I had to slam door to get to move. Now stuck in down position. BLAH

On my 94 explorer xlt i had problems with my drivers window and it was i think they call it a one touch module its a little black box in the door its for when you push the button the window will roll down by its self i went to a pull a parts and got one works good now

I have to slam the door hard to get it to shut off could these be related problems where do I start

The door ajar chime is triggered by a pressure (pushbutton) switch mounted to the body. When the door closes, the metal of the door presses against the switch button on the body and breaks the chime circuit. There are two failure points of this part. One, sometimes the metal of the door bends (dents) where it hits the switch button, so it is not pushing the button in. This is fixed by pulling the metal back straight or adding a filler like JB Stick. Another failure is of the switch itself. These switches eventually go bad. You can easily unscrew the switch from the body, disconnect the wire connector, and replace it with a new or used switch.

There is no wiring shared between power window circuit and door chime circuit. The door chime wiring does not go into the door. Your two issues are mutually exclusive.

I am aware of the little black box on the window but no one could tell me what it was so could not find one. Will look again and hope it works. Thanks

Just a quick thank you to all suggestions. The simplest idea worked as I pulled the black control off and inserted a 25 fuse into lage area and YES it works. Sticking with that for now.

Back