2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a PATS system failure. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a PATS system failure.

davidalanonline

Reaction score
I realize I am new here and I am posting in the wrong category, but
I have thoroughly exhausted myself trying to figure out this problem, and for some reason I'm not allowed to post in the Ford Explorer "Assitance" forum.

I have a '02 Ford Explorer, I just bought it.
It's going to be a winter vehicle, so I bought it, drove it home, and parked it.
It's probably sat for 6 or 7 days without me starting it.

Yesterday I went to start the vehicle, and my anti-theft light it going crazy.
It bleaks. My doors lock. My dashboard lights up. My vehicle won't start.
It also appears my battery is dead which may have contributed to this ..

I attempted to jump the vehicle, but it still won't start. My anti-theft light blinks.

I tried to turn my "key switch" to 3, right before start, and leave it there, for my theft light to go out, but it still won't.

I've ran out of ideas, and I'm pretty frustated.
If you any of you would be so kind as to help me, I would be very thankful!

Is there a way to reset the theft system?
I keep reading about a override button under the dash, but I can't seem to find it.

If you could post specific detailed instructions explaining how to reset the sysystem and / or what my problem is it would be great!

Best,

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Note: If the moderators would be kind enough to look over my posting in the wrong forum and allow my post to stay up long enough to assistance offered that would be great ..
Thanks.

I'm having a very similar problem, no start followed by theft light blinking. I can't post in the 911 section either... My 02 mountaineer is stranded at work. Plan on trying a new battery later as I know some vehicles to have crazy electrical side effects when the battery is too dead to operate everything properly.

Any other ideas electrical and/or theft system related would be appreciated.

I would say put a new battery in there for starters. I know when my 04's battery got weak the gauges did some goofy stuff.

good luck

i had the same issue today. i had both the battery and starter tested, both of which are working properly. everything electric powered works fine. the engine won't turn over. i can only hear the faint click of a relay.

when turning the key to the start position, my pats light stays on for 3 secs, then flashes non-stop for about 60 secs, then it changes to a patterned flash (on, pause, on, long pause - repeat) for another 60 secs, then it goes off. is this a good thing?

sounds like PATS isn't recognizing your key. i read somewhere on the forum that the patterned flashes are codes that will tell you what part of PATS is failing.

sounds like PATS isn't recognizing your key. i read somewhere on the forum that the patterned flashes are codes that will tell you what part of PATS is failing.
36 hours and $250 later, it turns out that my suspicions and your guess was right. they replaced the pats transceiver and reprogrammed the keys. no reason why it failed other than "they just sometimes do". at least i can start the car again.

I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 that gets gas and fuel but just wont start. I got some codes which is p0300,p0301,p0302,p0303,p1131,p0137 please if anyone can help me .

For those who "might" have their spare key, recommend using it. The situation has happened to me before and I used the spare and it fired right up. Seeing its a issue with the vehicle, I now keep he spare key on the key ring with a sticker on it just incase it happens again. The sad part is once I turn it off and use the main, it fires right up as well.

I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 that gets gas and fuel but just wont start. I got some codes which is p0300,p0301,p0302,p0303,p1131,p0137 please if anyone can help me .

I recommend starting a new thread in the Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Sub Forum.

This thread is about something completely different.

Here is the link to the Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Sub Forum:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Good luck & Happy Exploring! :biggthump

I know this is a old thread, but I have some info to help. Just went thru this this morning!

Both keys would not start, no click and the theft light would just rapidly flash. I checked all fuses first, disconnected the battery for 30 minutes...still nothing. Used my code scanner and got B1681. Pulled apart the column, unplugged the transceiver harness and 3 wires metered 12volts and 1wire was a ground, so I knew it had power. Went to ford, $48 later I had a new transceiver. Plug and play, no programming and was back in action. From my reading it appears some pre 01 models needs to have the keys re-programmed...but I got lucky and didn't need it.

Back