2002 explorer - 4x4 control module replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer - 4x4 control module replacement

dangflo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Hey guys,

this is my first post here, i have been watching these forums for a few weeks and it seems like you guys may be able to help me.

so my 4x4 control module died (transfer case control module) i got it diagnosed ($135:thumbdwn:) and i needed a replacement. i know there is an updated version that is less likely to fail but that would have cost me 400 plus dollars locally and directfordparts.com dont ship to canada. i ended up ordering the same original version from a scrap yard in canada for a $100 flat with shipping. i know it may eventually fail but as long as it lasts a few years i am fine with it as my explorer already has 175k.

i heard that disconnecting the battery may have been a cause of frying the module. so

1. so should i disconnect the battery when i put in the new one when i reconnect could it fry it just the same? can i replace it without disconnecting the battery?

2. if i ever need to change the battery how can i do it without frying my new control module

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The power fuses that protect the CM are hot at all times. Personally, I think the greater danger comes from plugging in the connectors while hot and risking an electrical arc.

FWIW: My old CM failed without ever disconnecting my battery; and I have unhooked my battery several times (and recently replaced it too) since putting in the new one with no problems.

BTW, you are paying $100 for a used electrical part and you don't know if it even works? Ouch. I suggest you try some of the other on-line Ford parts sellers until you find one that will ship to Canada.

http://www.rockauto.com/
http://fastpartsnetwork.com/
http://www.millenniumford.com/Default.aspx
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215005

Good luck.

ok i see so i shall disconnect the battery first.

yeah i thought id take a small chance with this used cm as it was $100 total with shipping and has 90 day warranty and ordering the new version from the u.s would have cost me $300 after all charges, kind of hard on the wallet for a student. but if all else fails i may have to order it eventually

so then does anyone know why these cm's fail so frequently?

just to let you guys know.

i installed my junk yard cm (disconnected battery first) and it worked perfectly! i drove around the super snowed roads for an hour for fun, it feels good lol. its a good thing i got the part in today cause it snowed a hella lot.

Can't find a 4X4 control module

So, I have read the above thread, which was very helpful, but I cannot seem to find a relacement 4X4 Control Module online. I even searched all of the 4 sites listed above with "no results found." Any idea what I am doing wrong? I even tried searching by part number with nothing. I too have a 2002 Ford Explorer. Thanks in advance!

yeah its hard to find by browsing but if you email your old part number to the company they will tell you the replacement part you need.

E.x you go to directfordparts.com and email them with your vin and old part number, they will give you new part number and instructions on finding it on their site using that part number

OK, I will give that a try, thanks!

Yeah, for some reason you have to send them an email or call them. Def send along your VIN when inquiring to make sure you get the correct part.

Most folks on here got their replacement CMs from silverstatefordparts.com which was formerly directfordparts.com. It's the internet sales side of a large dealership in Vegas.

Good luck!

I have emailed silverstatefordparts.com so hopefully I will receive a helpful resonse. I will update this as soon as I do. Thanks again!

Ok, so I received a reply back from silverstatefordparts.com. Very fast and friendly, the module was in-stock and shipped out today. After I receive it and install it, hopefully I will have a success story to update this!

OK, so I ordered the module from silverstatefordproducts.com on Thurs, received it today (Sat) with standard shipping. I installed it in about 5 minutes, and it works great! Fixed my problem ... knock on wood! I took the entire glove box door off just for easier access to the bracket screw, but still took almost no time and effort, just $180. out of my pocket, that hurt a little. Thanks for the advice!

about to replace mine as well

OK, so I ordered the module from silverstatefordproducts.com on Thurs, received it today (Sat) with standard shipping. I installed it in about 5 minutes, and it works great! Fixed my problem ... knock on wood! I took the entire glove box door off just for easier access to the bracket screw, but still took almost no time and effort, just $180. out of my pocket, that hurt a little. Thanks for the advice!

Just bought replacement 4x4 control module from fordpartsguy in vegas lucky I have american address as that part is 460.00 in Canada cost around 225 with shipping and exchange was also wondering how to replace on my 02 explorer as I have several issues lighting up in the dash. Ebay has been helpful with most parts or sensor. will let you know if works Dan!

I have a 2002 explorer xlt that my control switch has quit working, all fuses and relays in the interior and under the hood check good but no power to switch or control module is there a relay somewhere else on the vehichle that serves these items?

getting in on this tread to see about my '02 Explorer.

Hey guys,

this is my first post here, i have been watching these forums for a few weeks and it seems like you guys may be able to help me.

so my 4x4 control module died (transfer case control module) i got it diagnosed ($135:thumbdwn:) and i needed a replacement. i know there is an updated version that is less likely to fail but that would have cost me 400 plus dollars locally and directfordparts.com dont ship to canada. i ended up ordering the same original version from a scrap yard in canada for a $100 flat with shipping. i know it may eventually fail but as long as it lasts a few years i am fine with it as my explorer already has 175k.

i heard that disconnecting the battery may have been a cause of frying the module. so

1. so should i disconnect the battery when i put in the new one when i reconnect could it fry it just the same? can i replace it without disconnecting the battery?

2. if i ever need to change the battery how can i do it without frying my new control module

I wouldn't and I didn't disconnect the battery when I changed out mine. If you are getting a new one from directfordparts.com it should be an updated version of the one that would go bad when disconnecting the battery, At least that is what the Ford dealer told me, right before he told me that it would be $300! 4x4 CM on 02's is common as it gets and even commoner when you disconnect the battery. If you getting a new one though, you should have no more problems as far as what I've been told.

new module works fine feb 14 !!!!!!!!!!09

:ca:
Just bought replacement 4x4 control module from fordpartsguy in vegas lucky I have american address as that part is 460.00 in Canada cost around 225 with shipping and exchange was also wondering how to replace on my 02 explorer as I have several issues lighting up in the dash. Ebay has been helpful with most parts or sensor. will let you know if works Dan!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU ALL!!!
I been lurking on the forum since 2002 when I bought my tuck, but I think this is one of the first times I posted.

Dealer quoted me $645 to replace the 4x4 module (Parts and Labor)
I purchased the 4x4 module from parts.com for about $203 and it took me about 45 minutes (including a test drive) to install.

You guys saved me $442 bux!!!

Next job replace the clock spring :) $1235 quoted from dealer!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 02 mountaineer and my 4x4 controle module is bad. can not find where it is at. Looked behind glove box at blower motor and it is not there. I am geetting really frustrated. Is the mountaineer different then explorer.

Back