1999 Ford Explorer XLT Will NOT START! :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer XLT Will NOT START! :(

ROBERIZER

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC
Hey everyone,

It's been a while... I have a 99 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC That will not start! It acts like its not getting any fuel but it has adequate fuel pressure and I can hear the fuel pump running. It has ran just fine and hasn't shown any signs of any problems, but yesterday I got off work and hopped in and it just won't start. It fires, tries to crank but like I said it acts like its getting no fuel. Unfortunately I havent been able to check if it is actually firing or not because its pouring down raining today, but any assistance would be great! I really need to get this thing back up and running.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You more than likely have a clogged fuel filter, you can test this by trying to semi-gently jarring the fuel filter around. For me I used a flat head screw driver and removed it from the bracket. You could also just replace it, but I had this issue and got my truck to start after I mucked with mine. I replaced it right after, also you might want to check your Crank Position Sensor, clean the connections with electronic connection cleaner.

get some quick start and spray it in the intake. That will likely tell you IF it is a fueling issue. You can then go from there as suggested.

Thanks, I will check the Crank Position Sensor and Clean it. I will also try the fuel filter and see if that could be the culprit, but wouldn't that cause me to have no fuel pressure?

When you say adequate fuel pressure do you mean tested or just fuel at the rail? Although I assume if it's running the pump tthere's pressure there.

As Bud stated, a 2 second spray of ether into the throttle body will fire it, but don't make a habit of it, lol....

They did have some fuel pump problems during that time. Does the fuel pump turn on when you the key to the on position?

By adequate I just meant fuel at the rail. I just assumed if it had fuel pressure at the rail, that the Pump was working. What stumps me is that it was so instantaneous... I would think that if it was an injector clog or something I would have some sign of trouble ahead of time. I also will check the Crank Position Sensor and clean it. Other than replacing the alternator this is the only issue I have ever had with this truck. I have been driving it much harder the past few months though, in comparison to previous years. I have been having to make frequent long distance trips twice a week. Hope this helps explain my situation.

They did have some fuel pump problems during that time. Does the fuel pump turn on when you the key to the on position?

I can hear it running but I'm not for sure if it's working.

Ok, do this. Turn the key 4 times to the "prime" position (this is where the fuel pump whines). Then have your fuel pressure gauge hooked up at the schrader valve (on the fuel rail). Have some crank the motor over and check the pressure, if you did this right there should be 40psi at the rail. If pressure is good, I would bet the fuel filter is clogged. Now you could also have bad injectors but that is a little more rare for all 6 to not work. If there is no pressure when you perform the test, your pump needs to be replaced (if you did not already check the fuel inertia switch in the passenger side).

Why the pump? It may be getting 12v but not supplying between 30-65psi needed to get things started and/or keep them that way.

Ok, do this. Turn the key 4 times to the "prime" position (this is where the fuel pump whines). Then have your fuel pressure gauge hooked up at the schrader valve (on the fuel rail). Have some crank the motor over and check the pressure, if you did this right there should be 40psi at the rail. If pressure is good, I would bet the fuel filter is clogged. Now you could also have bad injectors but that is a little more rare for all 6 to not work. If there is no pressure when you perform the test, your pump needs to be replaced (if you did not already check the fuel inertia switch in the passenger side).

Why the pump? It may be getting 12v but not supplying between 30-65psi needed to get things started and/or keep them that way.

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely try this. I am hoping it is something simple like the fuel filter, that's for sure!

If you do have to replace the pump also replace the filter at the same time. I agree I doubt all 6 injectors went a once.

Ok, I sprayed starting fluid into the intake and it starts...almost! It dies like it is not getting any fuel so I am under the impression that It is my Fuel filter or pump? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but I can surely tell the pressure at the rail seems low.

Once agin, given the amount of effort it will take you or $ to pay someone to do the fuel pump is greater than trying to replace your fuel filter. If you have never done it before I will advise taking about 2hrs to do it. It CAN be a simple job but it can also have you cursing the truck till you figure out the method of removal for the fuel filter that works for you. You will need a 5/16 quick disconnect tool.

*UPDATE*

Ok, Friday after work I pulled the gas tank and installed a new fuel pump and filter.
Upon completion the old Explorer was running like a top! I drove a good 45 miles Saturday to see my Family, drove back home Sunday, no problems.

I got in the car to come to work this morning... WONT START! It is once again acting like it is getting no fuel!

It may just be circumstantial but I can here an odd "clicking" sound every 2 to 3 seconds coming from the front and rear of the vehicle even when the key is off. I have never heard this before.

Could be the relay under the hood on the driver side. You can try jumping it with a screwdriver or checking with a volt meter while some cranks the motor. I forget the voltage your supposed to see. I look around see if I can find the procedure.

*UPDATE*

Ok, Friday after work I pulled the gas tank and installed a new fuel pump and filter.
Upon completion the old Explorer was running like a top! I drove a good 45 miles Saturday to see my Family, drove back home Sunday, no problems.

I got in the car to come to work this morning... WONT START! It is once again acting like it is getting no fuel!

It may just be circumstantial but I can here an odd "clicking" sound every 2 to 3 seconds coming from the front and rear of the vehicle even when the key is off. I have never heard this before.

I think that's one of those jokes about "what's that noise" related to the guy with the chain saw complaining to the store that it took too long to cut a tree down.... you know the rest I hope... :)

Anyways, you got it in a no start condition again :-( get your meter out and check the voltage going to the pump at your inertia switch (its the easiest place)... confirm the voltage. Then as a last attempt, run a 12v wire directly to the pump, it should run "forever"... don't drive with this, just see if it starts. Go from there.

Perhaps your connection at the fuel pump are loose... :-(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

*UPDATE*

When you say you replaced the "filter" - do you mean the round cannister filter inside the frame rail under the driver's door?? Or do you mean the sock on the end of the fuel pump? If you didn't, you really need to change the external filter.

Back