Whining noise that just started | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whining noise that just started

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello All,
I was hoping yall with more experience can help me track down my issue.
Starting last week the car started making a whining noise after I decided to check the oil since its change interval is coming up. It sounds similar to a supercharger whine.
I made a 30 mile ride with no noise. I let it sit in the mall parking lot for a little and checked the oil while I thought of it and saw it was a little low and a little milky on the cap.
No coolant loss that I have found otherwise. Just milkiness a little on the inside of the cap. Since I cleaned that out, it has not come back
Well on the drive home it started whining, so I made it a point to stop and grab a qt of oil quick and throw some in to top of off until the next change.

Drove it a few times this week and the noise is driving me crazy. I thought originally it might be an idler pulley, but the sound is coming from the pass side it sounds like. I took a stethoscope to it and seems its coming from the pass valve cover area.

Any ideas what all I am looking at here? Or to even confirm its coming from there and not radiating from anywhere else?

It sounds exactly like this which led back to being an idler pulley which I originally thought. When I scoped it though, could it be it is resonating into the head area?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIdxQ7_sQo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any input at all guys? I cant be the only one that has had this problem?
I sure would appreciate some help

Hello All,
I was hoping yall with more experience can help me track down my issue.
Starting last week the car started making a whining noise after I decided to check the oil since its change interval is coming up. It sounds similar to a supercharger whine.
I made a 30 mile ride with no noise. I let it sit in the mall parking lot for a little and checked the oil while I thought of it and saw it was a little low and a little milky on the cap.
No coolant loss that I have found otherwise. Just milkiness a little on the inside of the cap. Since I cleaned that out, it has not come back
Well on the drive home it started whining, so I made it a point to stop and grab a qt of oil quick and throw some in to top of off until the next change.

Drove it a few times this week and the noise is driving me crazy. I thought originally it might be an idler pulley, but the sound is coming from the pass side it sounds like. I took a stethoscope to it and seems its coming from the pass valve cover area.

Any ideas what all I am looking at here? Or to even confirm its coming from there and not radiating from anywhere else?

It sounds exactly like this which led back to being an idler pulley which I originally thought. When I scoped it though, could it be it is resonating into the head area?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIdxQ7_sQo

The problem with trying to isolate noises is that noise in a car tends to resonate to other places, so yes a pulley noise could sound like its coming from the valve cover but its likely resonating. Try placing the stethoscope on different places, top of alternator, etc... Careful not to get your hand hacked of by the fan blades.

Likely a pulley, tensioner, ps, alternator. Fyi, i had a similar noise that I had for a long time and thought it was a pulley, but turned out to be the trans. Tracking down noises is a pain, good luck. You could slip the belt off temporarily and see if the noise goes away, process of elimination is the best way to go.

Pull the belt off and start the truck. If the noise goes away it is probably one of the pulleys/alternator/PS/AC. If the noise continues it is probably internal to the engine.

Thanks guys. I used a stetho again the other night and think I pinpointed it to the tensioner pulley. I think since that is bolted in close to the head, it is resonating in there.

I dont think it is the trans. Happens at idle too and the noise is deff coming from up top pass side.

Back