Explorer as a towing package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer as a towing package

oakjefferson

Reaction score
Heart set on the Explorer but now I'm getting worried. Anyone have any thoughts on 2013 FWD with towing package hauling 4000lbs (including cargo and passengers) through BC mountains? I'm wondering if I should be looking at Acadia's or Durango's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't worry. It's well within spec.

...cue JDraper for Mustang towing response

:D

Heart set on the Explorer but now I'm getting worried. Anyone have any thoughts on 2013 FWD with towing package hauling 4000lbs (including cargo and passengers) through BC mountains? I'm wondering if I should be looking at Acadia's or Durango's?
Website shows max. trailer weight 5000 lbs for FWD V6.

Peter

yeah, I've read the limit - just curious what others found as I saw some antecdotal stories about towing with this engine in hilly areas

I wouldn't worry. It's well within spec.

...cue JDraper for Mustang towing response

:D
'':mattmoon:

Yeah..it will tow fine. As a certain individual above said, I've towed my Mustang behind it several times on a steel trailer through the mountains of Central PA with no problems. Trailer and car is right about 5k lbs.

BTW, I have 4WD with the 3.5V6. I would highly recommend the 4WD if you're going to tow a bit.

4WD makes a difference for towing? I could see on the boat ramp getting out, but other than that, what effect would it have other than lowering my weight limit to account for the heavier drivetrain?

If you're gonna leave the pavement it'll be helpful, also remember that the more weight you put on the trailer the less weight will be on the front tires. FWD can tow more though, assuming you never leave clean pavement.

If you're gonna leave the pavement it'll be helpful, also remember that the more weight you put on the trailer the less weight will be on the front tires. FWD can tow more though, assuming you never leave clean pavement.

I'd imagine there will be some dirt roads. Nothing like a logging road, but your usual cottage access

I'm not real familar with this stuff, can you explain the weight on the tires issue between the FWD and 4WD and it's impact on towing?

The 4WD also gets less gas mileage. Something to think about.

4wd (it's really AWD) for the better traction in less than ideal conditions. It gives a better weight balance to the vehicle and allows for all 4 wheels to pull when necessary.

I don't think having a second transaxle, PTO and rear driveshaft for $2.5-3k is that insane. If you drive it at all in adverse conditions (snow, mud, sand), it's definitely worth it.

4wd (it's really AWD) for the better traction in less than ideal conditions. It gives a better weight balance to the vehicle and allows for all 4 wheels to pull when necessary.

I don't think having a second transaxle, PTO and rear driveshaft for $2.5-3k is that insane. If you drive it at all in adverse conditions (snow, mud, sand), it's definitely worth it.
JD, I caught a glimpse of the new AWD Fusion on a TV report from the Detriot autoshow and I could swear I saw an AWD badge on it. Perhaps Ford will get it all figured out sometime and put it on the Explorer as well.

Peter

Sounds like I have a lot to learn about towing. Will need to do some practice pulls once we get the boat

This is a good article for rookies like me -
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...itches/towing-weight-distribution-systems.htm

Does the AWD carry the extra weight on the front tires? I assume it's the rear in which case it won't help with braking. I've read a few people pulling on steep boat ramps with 11 and 12's FWD without a problem.

Between a boat and trailer at 3,300lbs + at least 150lbs in the cargo space of the truck, does anyone thing I'll need the weight distribution hitch they're talking about in the article? Using their rule of thumb, the tongue weight should be 400lbs max (I can't find the number anywhere on line for the boat/trailer combo)

From my Experience towing my Mustangs, I didn't need the weight distribution hitch. This thing (except for the off the line acceleration) tows as well as my '05 Supercrew 5.4 did. I have zero complaints. I ran it at 65-70 mph through the Pocono mountains without problems. Very stable and predictable.

BTW, if you're pulling a boat out of the water up a slippery ramp, the AWD will work far better than FWD. 4 wheels pulling vs. 2 wheels pulling is a no brainer.

JDraper, what sort of gas mileage were you averaging towing your Mustang around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was getting 11-13 mpg when towing.

Back